FIRST COOK on the new Offset Smoker!!! Pictures and comments...

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hello all,

Well, I was able to FINALLY get things going on the new BlueSmoke Smoker offset unit.

Let's start with Friday afternoon, I figured I'd just do something easy, I'd spray the inside down real good with a Pam like cooking oil spray, and then build a hot fire and "season the inside" of the smoker.

The first positive...I got to seriously play with FIRE!!

Here's a quick link to a very short YouTube video....no tripod, balanced on a box, hand held...just iPhone video, but shows me playing with the "flame thrower"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDK_WRe9mVM

(Whew...I've gained weight sure, but that angle REALLY makes me look fat!! Lol)

I went and actually measured my splits...they range in length from 18" to close to 24" on some of them, so average I'd say was about 22". Longer than I'd thought, and I had a VERY hard time fitting them in there in any lattice type stack for good fire building.

I torched and torched and use those little rolls of fire starters, and as you can see it was getting dark before any of the wood smoldered long enough to break into coals and would then ignite and burn other logs faster.

But I got my burn in done.

I got up early Saturday and figured I'd try to do something to make sure fire wasn't my main problem on cook day with a brisket, fatties, chicken and home cured bacon on the line.

I ran to local Sports Academy and bought about 4x boxes of wood splits...pricey yes, but cut to a nice manageable short length.

(by the way, I bought and received late Sunday a saw I think will do for cutting my firewood into better lengths: The Black and Decker Lopper : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BANMUY)

So, back to Sunday morning. Much as I wanted to get an EARLY start, I slept in a bit. I decided I'd start a BIG fire with new wood and with a good bit of lump charcoal in there to form a good coal bed right off to bat.

Well, the fire roared, the store bought wood was great...trouble is, too well...that thing shot up to well over 325F or so...and only time would let it burn back down to the 220F's...(which I actually overshot there too, but no big deal)...

I got my Costco Prime Brisket out and while smoker was "cooling" I re-watched a number of videos how to trim a brisket (in the past I just threw them on as is).

So, I got my new Victorinox 6 Inch Curved Fibrox Pro Boning Knife, and went to town.

I think I got it fairly aero dynamic, and good fat cut off...at least not bad for a first effort.

I saved the really fatty parts in a metal bowl to put in smoker to render into smoked beef tallow (and used a bit to wrap my brisket).

I put the heater + fat scraps in a freezer ziplock to save till I have enough to grind into brisket burger or sausage.

I plugged in the MEATER block first 2 probes into the brisket, one in flat other in point and put it on the smoker.

I was a bit shocked that for about half the cook, the flat, which was not far from the smoke collector was a good bit HOTTER than the point, which was facing the firebox, and just shy of midway of the cook chamber.

Anyway...I spent the day trying to get a feel for when and how much to add to keep temps. It varied a LOT all day...but towards the end I started to get a feel for it. I even managed to squeeze in a few of the regular firewood logs.

Brisket in first....I followed by adding a whole chicken, that I just quickly seasoned with Tony Chacherie's Creole seasoning (ubiquitous down here in southern Louisiana)....and half a pork belly that I'd cured awhile back but wrapped and froze instead of smoking.
I put half that on too.

And due to suggestions for many here, I attempted really my first "fatties". I had regular breakfast sausage...and first one I just did plain...no rub, nothing...to give myself a baseline to know what it does.

The other, I split in half...I smooshed and dug a pit in middle, and put half a thing of cream cheese in there and also a mixture of green canned chiles and some chopped up canned chipotles...then resealed the sausage back into a chub shape.

I put my water pan in too.

So, I had a pretty full beast....but not crowded.

The MEATER probes, with giving not only internal temps, but reporting on external temps of the smoker with the placement in various parts of the unit, gave me a good image of how the heat distributes...and once the whole smoker came up to temp, I"m happy to say it seems pretty darned even!! I guess it takes a bit for the 3/8' steel all around to come to temp, but once it does...it holds pretty good I think.

My smoke, could have been a bit dirtier at first...I wanted to, but it seem mostly clean whole cook. I think that's really reflected by the light tan color of the chicken which went in last 4 hours of cook.

So far results:

Chicken - Could use a bit more smoke flavor, but VERY juicy and tender...

Fatties - Both had great flavor, but, I think I should have removed them earlier, just a little dry. That stuffed one was great!! I'm going to really play with stuffing them in the future.

Bacon - I put this in fridge to firm. A few years back at an auction I scored a real, full sized Hobart deli meat slicer. I'll slice it into bacon. I've never before cured and then froze the bellies before...so, will be interesting how this affects flavor and texture. I got the cure plan from this site long ago...and it worked in the past....

Brisket - Well, I'm not up on the "feel" thing yet, but it seemed to be good as I could tell....I watched temps, wrapped in butcher paper (first time)...and by temperature this thing was only about 8 hours!!
This was a LARGE piece of meat too...before trimming about 15lbs.

Last night about 8-9pm I took the brisket off the smoker, leaving wrapped and put into a Coleman ice chest lined with towels.

In a bit for late lunch I plan to unpack and slice it up to see how I did. I'll send pics of that too later on this thread.

As mentioned earlier, I was a bit shocked and worried that on onset, the flat end near the collector...was MUCH hotter than the point end...and it appeared to shrink a great deal more than the rest of the brisket, and maybe due to me seeing one trimmed which I'd not done before. I hope I didn't overdo that too much, but will see.

Anyway...overall, VERY happy with cook...and new smoker. I did notice, while cooking that there's a huge dent in my smoke stack, above where it folds...I'm going to write to Phil about that....not sure if that impedes airflow and draw...

And I've got to solve this wood problem. I dunno at this time if the wood I got locally is just too green...or if the lengths are too much and not being able to properly stack it in firebox is the problem.

I'll test later this week with the new saw and get that variable out of the way.

Anyway...pictures below.

All comments and suggestions GREATLY appreciated!!

BUT, man, I had problems getting the darned first to start with the firewood I ordered.

Attachments

• IMG_9428.jpg
    IMG_9428.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_9430.jpg
    IMG_9430.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9432.jpg
    IMG_9432.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9435.jpg
    IMG_9435.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9436.jpg
    IMG_9436.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9437.jpg
    IMG_9437.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_9439.jpg
    IMG_9439.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_9441.jpg
    IMG_9441.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_9443.jpg
    IMG_9443.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9445.jpg
    IMG_9445.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 203
Looks like a successful first cook -

That Gourmet Wood is kiln dried - so it will burn hot and fast for sure! I use a couple to start the fire to build up my coal bed - then move to the non-kiln dried 16-20 inch splits

Thank you and sorry...

AWESOME!!!

But yer not helping my cooker envy!

LOL..thank you and well...sorry....?
;)

If you're in the market for one of these thick metal heavy duty offsets...I can't help but recommend (like others on the list)...this "economy" model of smoker that Big Phil puts out.

Bang for the buck, it is really had to beat. The base price is $1700...whereas similar ones out there start about $4K.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend it if you're saving your nickels for one like I did....

cayenne

Love playing with weed burners.

That's a great post and pics! Eight hours is pretty good. How'd the brisket turn out taste and texture wise?

Awesome! I have those alligator loppers for the exact same reason. Splits cut to recommended length make a huge difference, at least in my OKJ. As a bonus, I save the sawdust and add melted parafin wax in a mini cupcake holder for fire starters. The ends I cut off the splits are perfect wood chunk size for my other cookers. Nothing goes to waste!

Still convinced if (more like when) I upgrade to a big boy offset, it's either this, or if I can convince my cousin to help me Fab our own, a custom one.

keep those pics coming!

Great first cook!

Thanks and keep posting.

Also, add a bed of fully lit briqs or lump as a starter coal base then put your splits on top of coals. Your splits will ignite faster. Pre-warm your splits on top of firebox, it may help with the greener wood. Have fun!!

I did notice, while cooking that there's a huge dent in my smoke stack, above where it folds...I'm going to write to Phil about that....not sure if that impedes airflow and draw...

I made a road trip today and picked mine up, very long day. It had a “dent” close to the collector and I ask him about it. His response was that due to the price point, the blue smoke model was given a little more tolerance with slight imperfections. The stack is about the only material thin enough (3/16”+/- thick) that could possibly fall into that category. Mines not damaged enough to worry about but could be pulled out if I wanted to. I still can’t get over how well built it is, especially considering the cost.

Edited to try and clear the reasoning for allowing the imperfections on the stack.

Last edited:
Mine is slightly dented too.

When I start my fire I use a small chimney of lump coal and add 2-3 full size splits and throw food on once it gets going. I find if I build a huge fire it just takes way too long to come back down to temp. After that first fire I have plenty of coals. As I add wood I just I add one or 2 pieces depending on coal bed size and temps.

May I suggest you change your approach to starting the fire? Charcoal, lump or briquettes, start much easier than splits, so use that for your initial coal bed, once that is going then add splits.
Beautiful smoker by the way.

Fatties

Nicely done! I made my first two fatties this weekend as well. Didn't stuff either of them, thy were both delicious!
OH cool!!

Did you throw them in "Nekkid" or did you do any spice rub/seasonings on the outside?

What temp did you cook yours to?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Cool Idea!!

Awesome! I have those alligator loppers for the exact same reason. Splits cut to recommended length make a huge difference, at least in my OKJ. As a bonus, I save the sawdust and add melted parafin wax in a mini cupcake holder for fire starters. The ends I cut off the splits are perfect wood chunk size for my other cookers. Nothing goes to waste!

Still convinced if (more like when) I upgrade to a big boy offset, it's either this, or if I can convince my cousin to help me Fab our own, a custom one.

keep those pics coming!

Hey, cool idea on the paraffin and fire starters!!

I've never worked with paraffin before....got any links/or advice on how do make those starters?

Maybe you could start a thread dedicated to this with pics???

C

Thanks....not the only one then...

I made a road trip today and picked mine up, very long day. It had a “dent” close to the collector and I ask him about it. His response was that due to the price point, the blue smoke model was given a little more tolerance with slight imperfections. The stack is about the only material thin enough (3/16”+/- thick) that could possibly fall into that category. Mines not damaged enough to worry about but could be pulled out if I wanted to. I still can’t get over how well built it is, especially considering the cost.

Edited to try and clear the reasoning for allowing the imperfections on the stack.

Thanks for this info Kevin (and @ErikG)....about your stack dents.

I'll go ahead and take pics and send to Phil, but sounds like I likely have my answer...that for this price...this is something that actually fits "QC" on the pit.

I have no complaints other than this....but my dent, to me is a bit more than minor....

I'll take pics later and post...maybe on a different thread so we can all compare what we got...?

C

Yep

Thanks for the trip down excitement lane !!! You probably need a nap by now .....

LOL..yep....still excited about it all!!!

I have a number of friends that want to buy and throw on some meat next time I fire it up.

I tell them I"m more than happy to, BUT...they might wanna wait till I have a couple more runs under my belt, so that I better understand fire management and have a smoother temp control strategy....

But yeah...it's been worth it big time so far!!
:)

Heck, I might start my old YouTube cooking show back up...just for the smoker and my home brewing I've started on again....

C

Nice 1st cook. Takes a while to get use to it. If you put biscuits in various places of your smoker you can see where the hot spots are. Congrats and Enjoy

Prewarming the wood is a Great idea. I felt it helped keep the smoke clean and a better taste with the food

Last edited:
Back