Cooked a mess of beef and pork this weekend

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
A good friend of mine asked if I'd help them out by cooking the meat for their wedding reception occurring in a few weeks. I crunched the numbers and figured eight ~8lb pork butts and six ~15lb briskets would do the trick. I decided to do the cook across 2 days, pork on the first day and brisket on the next. I trimmed up all the briskets Friday night, vacuum sealed them, and tossed them in the cooler for Sunday. We also injected the butts with white grape juice + Oakridge BBQ Game Changer injection so they could be cooked on Saturday. It was a late night.

The 'ol Foodsaver I've had for years and years and processed hundreds if not thousands of pounds of meat with was finally giving up, so I ordered this 16" sealer, mainly because I thought it'd be big enough to vacuum seal briskets. It is indeed.

The pork was seasoned with Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon.

We got about 35lbs of cooked pork out of it.

I did not get a lot of pictures of the brisket cooking, but they all turned out great. Seasoned with 2:2:1:1 by weight kosher salt, coarse black pepper, granulated garlic, and granulated onion. It'd been a while since I cooked that many briskets and never had on this smoker, so I was a little nervous because the stakes were high. All 6 turned out perfectly though.

Since we had free heat I threw on a slab of ribs and a few sausages I made for dinner.

I didn't feel like messing with butcher paper and I wasn't sure I even had enough to wrap all 6, so I foiled them instead. It was very very windy here yesterday and the cooker didn't want to run much over 250-260*, so things were taking a bit longer than they normally do for me, and the foil wrap helped speed things along a bit. I did rotate the briskets around the cook chamber based on size and progress and they all finished within about 90 minutes of one another.

I was impressed with the bark and color/penetration of the smoke ring.

Everything rendered perfectly, tender points and flats and nothing over or under done.

I tried to slice the brisket in such a way that it would discourage overserving at a buffet line. Halved the flats down the middle and then sliced across the grain and that sort of thing.

I used the chamber vac sealer to package everything up....my theory is it would pull less moisture out of the meat compared to the external style vacuum sealer that pulls vacuum out of one end of a bag.

We wound up with about 40lbs of cooked brisket. When you're dealing with this volume of meat, a residential refrigerator can have a hard time safely bringing down temperature of that much thermal mass, so I usually just fill a cooler full of ice and water then throw the vacuum bags of meat in there. Within 5-10 minutes they're fully chilled and ready for the freezer.

It was a lot of work, every time I do this I have to give kudos to those who do this sort of thing day in and day out. :clap2:

Last edited:
Very impressive! Looks like the new sealer is the same brand as your chamber sealer, if I recall?

I always LOVE doing bulk cooks. Then I'm quickly reminded how much I don't love bulk packing.. but always great to see someone taking the food safety side seriously!

My final thought is an idea I've taken from ThirdEye, about placing the brisket at the end of the buffet, so they already have a full plate by time they get to it. I've used that method a few times, and it's worked well to have people just grab a slice or two, and you can see the people that start at the meats filling the empty plate.

My final thought is an idea I've taken from ThirdEye, about placing the brisket at the end of the buffet, so they already have a full plate by time they get to it. I've used that method a few times, and it's worked well to have people just grab a slice or two, and you can see the people that start at the meats filling the empty plate.

That’s a good idea, we’ll have to do that. I believe they’re paying a company to man the buffet line, handle set up and take down etc, so hopefully that’ll help as well.

And yeah, it took me over 2 hours to slice up, package, then chill all the brisket by myself, I’m wiped today. Yep, same brand on the vacuum sealer. I’ve been happy with the equipment and customer service so far. HQ’d in Columbia, MO.

That sure was an undertaking but you managed to get perfect results across the board and even the pitmasters snacks looked great!

tenor.gif

Amazing job and thanks for sharing. Gets the ole BBQ sauce in the veins pumping :)

Honestly…I wanted nothing to do with eating barbecue after all that, heh.

Weird how that happens ain't it. Before they got canceled. I use to help cook a wild game diner fundraiser for the Boy Scouts. After cooking all night and all the next day. I never wanted a bite of what we cooked.
Enjoyed watching the 150-300 people eat it though.

That was a lot of food! You are a great friend! Hopefully you get paid with a litle fresh meat or your favorite beverage and lots of gratification.

That's very impressive that you were able to manage all of that meat and finish them all perfectly.
You have skills!
JD

Back