THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dabaxter

Found some matches.
After screwing up brisket multiple times that I was never satisfied with or proud of, I finally figured it out and can nail it. After watching videos and reading, I realized either people were cooking on a different kind of smoker or were full of baloney. Here's what I learned.
Do not trim your brisket, except for "hanging fat tags". LEAVE THE FAT ON.
No mustard. Smoke can't get through that.
Do not be conservative with your dry rub. I prefer Rudy's rub.
I use a lava stone heat deflector.
Put in a water pan under the flat side. Put a catch pan under the point side.
ALWAYS PUT YOUR MEAT FAT SIDE DOWN.
PUT THE BRISKET ON FRIDGE COLD.
The front of my grill is usually a little hotter. ALWAYS PLACE THE FLAT SIDE TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE GRILL.
DO NOT WRAP DURING THE COOK UNLESS YOU WANT ROAST BEEF WITH NO SMOKE.
I use hickory chunks and lump. DO NOT OVERFILL THE AMOUNT OF CHARCOAL. I put a few chunks on the sides then fill with charcoal. I leave enough room below the heat deflector brackets to add more wood chunks before putting the lava heat deflector on.
I take off between 200 and 205. That seems to be about the most tender spot. It usually takes 9-10 hours at 250. I usually wrap in foil, a couple of towels and into a cooler for a few hours to rest. DO NOT TRIM THE EXCESS FAT UNTIL YOU ARE SLICING TO EAT.
I also learned USDA Select seems to turn out just as good as choice. I hope this helps someone like me. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back