Blackstone Griddles

If you really want to get fancy you can sand the griddle with some high grit sand paper to it and make it buttery smooth before seasoning it. Just a thought or something to consider.

I use a pumice stone on a warm, slightly oiled grill then re-season. Wow - works like a champ.

It is a messy process though...

Olive oil won't work. I've tried 5-6 different options and none of them seem to really work all that well except for lard. You can get a big can of lard for a few bucks at Walmart. The key is super thin layers of seasoning. You don't want the liquid to pool up. Take your time and you'll get a nice base coat.

I agree. I own 2 Blackstone's and the the that has worked best for me is to cook bacon on it several times. I'm doing the same thing just taking the long way home. My 28 only gets used a few times a year and the seasoning is always bulletproof

My wife noticed that the Members Mark was on sale for $150 at Sams, and is really intrigued. I saw that Walmart has the Blackstone for $242. I'm now intrigued as well.

We were at Sams yesterday, but it was up on a high shelf, so I couldn't get a good luck at it. It seems okay, maybe a little cheaper, and thinner steel?

We passed on a pile of smaller Blackstones at Walmart 9 or 10 years ago that were really cheap, by the time we came back a few days later they were gone. We've been kicking ourselves ever since!

So, take this suggestions for what it's worth. I can say that my newest method of seasoning worked far better than anything else I tried. You will need at least 3 jack stands or two and a third heat proof support - a weed burner and a propane tank.

Scrub/clean griddle as directed from factory. You might wish to smooth up the surface a bit with a sanding disk on an angle grinder - the smoother start the better however this step is optional.

Coat the cooking surface and side walls with season oil of choice (lard) and wipe it down to leave a thin layer only. Turn the griddle surface upside down and place on your jack stand support or other method of elevating the griddle off the ground. Using your weed burner you can then sweep back and forth - heating as evenly as possible - over the entire backside surface. The seasoning should begin to smoke and keep at it until it's pretty much stopped smoking. Be sure to work the corners and edges as they will take a little more heat to get the smoking going. If you have an IR thermometer it helps to monitor the temps across the surface. Note - I always look for an excuse to use my toys.

Let cool completely and begin the process again - repeat as many times as you like. This will get the entire surface (not just the unit burner area) seasoned much faster and with less gas. Obviously keep kids and pets away from the hot griddle. Also, whether or not you use this method I recommend you check to see the griddle surface is not warped from the factory - it happens sometimes.

So, take this suggestions for what it's worth. I can say that my newest method of seasoning worked far better than anything else I tried. You will need at least 3 jack stands or two and a third heat proof support - a weed burner and a propane tank.

Scrub/clean griddle as directed from factory. You might wish to smooth up the surface a bit with a sanding disk on an angle grinder - the smoother start the better however this step is optional.

Coat the cooking surface and side walls with season oil of choice (lard) and wipe it down to leave a thin layer only. Turn the griddle surface upside down and place on your jack stand support or other method of elevating the griddle off the ground. Using your weed burner you can then sweep back and forth - heating as evenly as possible - over the entire backside surface. The seasoning should begin to smoke and keep at it until it's pretty much stopped smoking. Be sure to work the corners and edges as they will take a little more heat to get the smoking going. If you have an IR thermometer it helps to monitor the temps across the surface. Note - I always look for an excuse to use my toys.

Let cool completely and begin the process again - repeat as many times as you like. This will get the entire surface (not just the unit burner area) seasoned much faster and with less gas. Obviously keep kids and pets away from the hot griddle. Also, whether or not you use this method I recommend you check to see the griddle surface is not warped from the factory - it happens sometimes.

Thanks, very similar to seasoning a cast iron pan in the oven!
Do you move the jack stands between coatings to ensure seasoning under the supports?

Seasoned it up on Saturday with the Blackstone stuff. Maiden voyage last night.

spVB36Jl.jpg

Not pictured was some pancakes. First couple were a little burned, but still tasted good. Almost fit a triple batch of my normal recipe in one go of it.

Very pleased for my first time on it. I have cooked on smaller griddles before, but this was a little different.

I seasoned mine with the Blackstone stuff. Cooked burgers on its maiden voyage. Burgers came out good but the griddle is not non stick. Had to scrape the cooking area with the spatula. It was dark when I tried cleaning it. will have to check it n the daylight

Back