Blackstone Griddles

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
George
I am thinking about getting a Blackstone Griddle. I have been looking at the 4 burner- I think 36". I would have to get rid of my small Weber Gasser on the deck but that would be OK. I have a larger gasser also. The misses said she does not care. So what do you think of your griddle- pros and cons
Thanks

I have the 22" model that came with a stand and cover that I got for using while rv'ing and at home. I love it, they're great for cooking breakfasts, burgers and basically anything you would get at a diner. You won't regret getting a Blackstone griddle.

I've had my 36" for almost 5 years and a Tailgater for 3, and still love them.
I use mine for the items Rick mentions.
I haven't cooked steaks on it, so I can't comment on how it does, but I imagine it would be great for post searing a SV steak.

Storing it outside will be a challenge preventing rust.
My 36 lives in the garage, and my Tailgater lives in the camper, so both are protected from the elements.
Zero rust issues on either.

George, I think you know how I feel about mine - love it. The 36" model is ideal for the Mrs and me. I may not always use the 4 burners, but I use them a lot more than you'd think for only 2 people. I don't think I'd be happy with a smaller Blackstone.

Don't worry about outdoor storage, mine's been fine for the couple of years I've owned it. I do have the separate hard cover as well as the soft vinyl cover. The hard cover, whether it's integrated into the unit or optional like mine, is essential. You want to keep the grill surface clean.

The vinyl cover is beginning to deteriorate, but it keeps the side shelves clean. I did have an issue during a recent rainy, cold snap where the vinyl cover was frozen to the hard cover so I had to take both off as a single unit, then wait for them to thaw in the garage.

Go for it, you'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner.

My Blackstone is a love/hate relationship. I like the griddle but I've gone to battle against them with a previous warranty claim. It's been a few years now and maybe it's better but at the time it was the worst customer service I've experienced. Terrible.

I like the griddle itself. On the cheap side for materials but it's okay if you can look past that kind of thing. I believe the Camp Chef griddle has a little better build quality. The Blackstone will have hot spots but most will in this price range. Otherwise it's a great tool if you have the room. We enjoy ours.

Last edited:
I have a Camp Chef. My daughter has the Sam’s membersmark brand and my BIL and several friends have the Blackstone. None of the are heavy duty, but I’d say the Camp Chef is the best built followed by Blackstone and then the MembersMark.

I like the grease system in the Members mark - front center while with removable try underneath - by far the best. Like the Camp Chef it also has levelers on the griddle itself.

I’m short, subtle differences/preferences but: GET A GRIDDLE. YOULL NEVER REGRET IT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the old style Blackstone 36" 4 burner. I think it's around 8 years old now.
I love it!
It sits on the deck beside my back door, year round. I do have a hard cover for it but that's all. I use a rubber "horse stall mat" beneath to catch any drippin's.

I have no complaints at all about it. If the wind messes with the burners, I place a homemade metal guard around the sides to block it.

I think you'll love having one, George! No matter what brand. Get one bigger than you think you'll need. I use one or two burners at times but most of the time I light all 4 and fill er up! :grin:

Forgot to add... I've given 2 as gifts to friends. They use the heck out of them too!

My Blackstone is a love/hate relationship. I like the griddle but I've gone to battle against them with a previous warranty claim. It's been a few years now and maybe it's better but at the time it was the worst customer service I've experienced. Terrible.

The like the griddle itself. On the cheap side for materials but it's okay if you can look past that kind of thing. I believe the Camp Chef griddle has a little better build quality. The Blackstone will have hot spots but most will in this price range. Otherwise it's a great tool if you have the room. We enjoy ours.
Had a like/dislike with the small Blackstone. It performed well but found it superfluous and more of a PITA as a cooking gadget.

I have a 36".
It gets used once or twice a year at church and school functions to cook burgers.
The build quality is fair at best.
It does perform as advertised and expected.

I did like the room of the 36” but it was a bit too much for me and my wife so I gave it to my nephew and got the 2 burner and use it way more often! Whatever you choose you will not be disappointed ! Early congrats! :)

I have a 22 for the RV and a 36 for home. I like them both, just need to use the one at home more often.
If you’re cooking for more than you and Kay, you’ll want the bigger one for sure.

I have the PitBoss 5-burner, not the new non-stick stuff. My friends all have Blackstones. All brands make great food. But I like mine better for a few reasons. Much better and heavier construction and casters. Also like the side grease discharge, easy to empty without moving the griddle like the Blackstone. To each his own, but I'm very happy i chose the one I did. Also, my side shelves fold in to make a hard cover and give tons of usable space when cooking. Best of luck!

Meant to also point out that the PitBoss has ignitors on each burner. Blackstone has the "light here, press button and light the rest." I love that I can light any and all burners at will with no batteries.

I have the 4 burner camp chef model. I thought it was built a little better than the black stone, but I’m sure the black stone is fine. It’s served me very well for about three years now. It’s covered on a covered patio in humid Florida. Don’t have an issue with rust if I maintain it, ie keep a layer of oil on it. I forgot to oil one time after not cleaning it very well. Then got busy and didn’t use it for a bit and i5 had some rust, bu5 was easy to get i5 back to working order.

That said, if I was buying now, I’d get the Grilla Primate and ditch my Weber gasser also. The primate looks like a good step above both the Camp Chef and Blackstone. Has a nice stainless cart and built in stainless retractable lid. This to me is an ideal griddle. Really like the grease management layout for this griddle also. It also converts easily to a standard grill with nice heavy grates. The Camp Chef does this also, but isn’t nearly as nice and doesn’t have the best grease management as a grill. They also have a really cool option where you can get a 2/3 griddle and still leave 1/3 grate in the grill. I could see lots of usage with this.

Last edited:
I had both the 36 and the 22 model. The 22 model is by far superior to the 36. #1 the 36 has 4 burners which are spaced farther apart per SQ inch. #2 the 22 has 3 burners which are spaced closer per SQ inch giving you more even heat, and also more searing ability. Now, #3 the 22 has a lid, and also a removable portable stand. Its a no brainer, and unless you are cooking for 20+ ppl, the 22 is more then able to handle a party.

You can churn out a ton of smash burgers on the 22 two burners and transfer to the 3rd burner side to keep warm. kepp it off since the residual heat is enough and just stack those smash burgers with onions, like layering a cake.

I ended up with the SteelMadeUSA Pro series and the outdoor cooking base with casters. I can use it on my stove too. Made in USA. Griddle alone weighs 65#.

And for those interested, they now have griddle upgrades for both Camp Chef and Blackstone.

Back