Blackstone Griddles

My 22 doesn’t have 3 burners, or a lid.

My bad, i forgot the 3rd burner was for the pots i use for seafood boils.
1860_01_1024x1024.jpg

The have some interesting options out these days, with all the air fryers and extra burners, etc. And the prices have gone sky high it seems.

I have a 28" at home that has been good, but I do wish I had gone larger with it. I'm lucky that I can use massive commercial griddles, so if mine doesn't have enough space, it's not really an issue for me. The 36" is typically deeper and not just wider (but again, they have a lot of configurations, so it can vary)

I do echo the 'never had rust issues' comments, and mine is outdoors all the time. I don't have the custom windshields like Cowgirl, but when it's been an issue in the past-I would make a quick wind block with magnets and foil.

I think the griddle is a very versatile cooking tool. Most things that I'd grill, can be done there just as well. I also look towards it when I see a recipe that calls for a large skillet and I'm thinking "well, if I griddle this, I'll have even more room to work" And to Curts point, the thicker steel options, are so much better. At the rental kitchen the griddles are at least half an inch thick, and you don't have any of the hot spot nonsense. They are pretty amazing.

The have some interesting options out these days, with all the air fryers and extra burners, etc. And the prices have gone sky high it seems.

I have a 28" at home that has been good, but I do wish I had gone larger with it. I'm lucky that I can use massive commercial griddles, so if mine doesn't have enough space, it's not really an issue for me. The 36" is typically deeper and not just wider (but again, they have a lot of configurations, so it can vary)

I do echo the 'never had rust issues' comments, and mine is outdoors all the time. I don't have the custom windshields like Cowgirl, but when it's been an issue in the past-I would make a quick wind block with magnets and foil.

I think the griddle is a very versatile cooking tool. Most things that I'd grill, can be done there just as well. I also look towards it when I see a recipe that calls for a large skillet and I'm thinking "well, if I griddle this, I'll have even more room to work".
And to Curts point, the thicker steel options, are so much better. At the rental kitchen the griddles are at least half an inch thick, and you don't have any of the hot spot nonsense. They are pretty amazing.
user_offline.gif

So, again like gas fryers example a few days ago, this is a buy once cry once situations. Disclaimer, I own two Blackstones, old version 36" ($150 clearance price), old version 22" ($40 clearance price). Do they function properly? Yes. But, if I had it to do over again, I'd keep the 22" for portability, but for home use I'd buy one of the griddles listed below. You can get the 36" Advantco manual control for $669 with 3/4" cooking surface thickness. If you really want to splurge and have set it and forget it(again, where have I heard that before?) cooking, you can purchase the 36" thermostat controlled Patriot griddle, with 1" cooking surface thickness for $979. Is this overkill? Perhaps. But, the old saying goes, "he who dies with the most toys wins". That is where I'd be spending my money If I had it to do over again. Of course this is all predicated on having an outdoor kitchen, which I do not have at this time, but plans are in the works.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/24057/gas-countertop-griddles.html?order=price_asc

https://www.equippers.com/cooking-equipment/griddles/gas-griddles?product_list_order=price

So to recap:

Blackstone-good
Camp Chef-Better
The above listed griddles-Best

In a way I guess it's like Pit Boss versus MAK.

YMMV

Robert

I have the blackstone pro 36” model at home. It’s a beast. Before my medical issue; it was used a few times a week for breakfast and dinner. Making pancakes on that thing was awesome.

I also have the blackstone tailgater that’s two burner split of grill box and griddle. Love that too.

I recommended a griddle they’re great. However the blackstone pro (or at least the year I got) I would not because of a few things:

1. It’s silver powder coated. Looks nice but really shows the grease stains.
2. It’s heavy. I mean really heavy. I was stupid enough to unload that 250lb thing off my truck alone.
3. And most importantly the worst…the lid handle is loose…like ridiculously loose…and it’s because of a manufacturing error. Like they sent the wrong handle or hardware or both. I’m sure you could engineer something from parts at ace hardware, but for price paid, this shouldn’t be an issue. 2.5 years later no response or fix from blackstone.

Not confident enough to use it with my chair and extendo-grab-o arm in fear of it malfunctioning med cook.

Anywho I am certain they fixed it in the later modes but something to be aware of. I’d recommend a blackstone 36” but not the pro.

I was an early adopter and have the 28 for like 8 years. I also got the 17 table top which is good for camping on the go.

I'll be contrarian here. You dont need a giant size for small cooks. I mostly cook for 2 people and honestly I could do just about the same thing in a CI skillet. I find clean up to be tedious. It's not bad but hard to justify for 2 burgers. Part of my woes is having the old front drain model. I bet I'd use mine more with a rear drain. I feel like Blackstone owes me. Being in the first wave was like being an R&D Guinea pig.

I only use my 28 a few times a year. I will say when I do it's a blast and is capable of things none of my other cookers are. Even though I rarely use it I dont have any rust, just a quick cleaning and I'm good to go.

Hope you enjoy the new cooker George

So, again like gas fryers example a few days ago, this is a buy once cry once situations. Disclaimer, I own two Blackstones, old version 36" ($150 clearance price), old version 22" ($40 clearance price). Do they function properly? Yes. But, if I had it to do over again, I'd keep the 22" for portability, but for home use I'd buy one of the griddles listed below. You can get the 36" Advantco manual control for $669 with 3/4" cooking surface thickness. If you really want to splurge and have set it and forget it(again, where have I heard that before?) cooking, you can purchase the 36" thermostat controlled Patriot griddle, with 1" cooking surface thickness for $979. Is this overkill? Perhaps. But, the old saying goes, "he who dies with the most toys wins". That is where I'd be spending my money If I had it to do over again. Of course this is all predicated on having an outdoor kitchen, which I do not have at this time, but plans are in the works.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/24057/gas-countertop-griddles.html?order=price_asc

https://www.equippers.com/cooking-equipment/griddles/gas-griddles?product_list_order=price

So to recap:

Blackstone-good
Camp Chef-Better
The above listed griddles-Best

In a way I guess it's like Pit Boss versus MAK.

YMMV

Robert

Interesting options. We don’t have natural gas where I am so even if I build the outdoor kitchen (which is looking unlikely) I’d have to run it on propane. For whatever reason, the propane options from that site are in a much higher price range than the two you linked to.

Interesting options. We don’t have natural gas where I am so even if I build the outdoor kitchen (which is looking unlikely) I’d have to run it on propane. For whatever reason, the propane options from that site are in a much higher price range than the two you linked to.
Bill,

You point out something I had not noticed concerning the two different types of gas fuels. I assumed they would be the same price as the gas fryers have no difference in price between the two fuels. I do have natural gas, but that will require a plumber to come out and splice the supply line or tee off at the meter and dig a ditch to the side of the kitchen area. Weighing the costs, it still might be cheaper to hire the plumber, especially if I dig the 30-40 foot ditch (oh, my aching back).

Well finally bit the Bullet yesterday and got the 4 burner 36" Blackstone Griddle with the Hard Top. Unfortunately missed the sale. The guy at the store wanted to sell me the Pit Boss Griddle he had in stock but it was $200 more. As it was the Mrs was not pleased with the cost of the Blackstone. Now just have to wait till it gets here I thought about the 28" as there are only 2 of us but I am in the belief of getting bigger. Also if the Grands are over there are 5 more people

Blackstone sells stuff to season it which is out of stock. Will any oil do like olive oil

Olive oil won't work. I've tried 5-6 different options and none of them seem to really work all that well except for lard. You can get a big can of lard for a few bucks at Walmart. The key is super thin layers of seasoning. You don't want the liquid to pool up. Take your time and you'll get a nice base coat.

George, your Framingham Walmart claims to have the Blackstone seasoning in stock.

As WeberWho noted, don't use olive oil to season it. I've never used the Blackstone stuff, but may try it as my griddle could use some reseasoning. If you can't find it, I'll echo the use of lard for seasoning. Watch some of the Todd Toven videos.

George,

There's no question that lard will work well. Grapeseed oil also works darn good. I hear, and wouldn't be surprised, that avocado oil works too. Follow WeberWho's advice and go for multiple thin layers - probably more important than oil type.

You're gonna love that thing.

Lard is good....The YT crowd suggests linseed oil....I think I did veg oil....it was what was on hand....but if you had lard....

Congrats! The extra room is great...you can manage a few different foods, have a spot act as a "warmer" you could also invest in some cooking wire racks, they help with keeping food warm without drying it out. My favorite was making pancakes on it. The wife could do like 2 at a time with her setup...but with the 36" you could make the whole batch in under 3 minutes....it was awesome!

okay i am done rambling...enjoy your griddle!

I used canola oil on mine, it worked fine.
Agree with many applications, I did 6 or 8, then bacon and onions.

When it comes to the Blackstone accessories, they seem overpriced to me, and not all are good quality, IMO.
I just saw they offer an extra large cooking dome for $50.
It's roughly the same size as a roaster lid, which is what I use.
Their breakfast set is garbage.
The pancake batter dispenser has broken and been repaired every time I tried to use it. The egg rings are trash.
The bacon press is OK.
I do have one of their heavy duty spatulas, which is awesome.

I guess I'm saying don't buy everything they market for the griddles. Pick and choose as you go, and check the quality of the items.

You're gonna love the thing!

If you really want to get fancy you can sand the griddle with some high grit sand paper to it and make it buttery smooth before seasoning it. Just a thought or something to consider.

Back