Blackstone Griddles

I seasoned mine with the Blackstone stuff. Cooked burgers on its maiden voyage. Burgers came out good but the griddle is not non stick. Had to scrape the cooking area with the spatula. It was dark when I tried cleaning it. will have to check it n the daylight

Just curious.... how many times did you season? It will get better over time but the corners and edges will take a lot longer than the "burner" area. Keep at it.

Mine was not non stick at first either George.

It will become so.

My third or fourth cook was bacon and sliced fattie breakfast chubs for my daughters baby shower. The pancakes and danishes and such came from a local place (brunch theme) but the bacon and sausage where a steep price add on.

In comes the Blackstone, 8# of bacon from Costco, and 8# of breakfast chubs.

It was nearly 2 hours of cooking and running pans of food up to the shower. Hardest part was grease management with that amount of food, emptying the trough a few times during (front drain rail model).

A lot of the pre-prep work was par freezing the chubs and slicing, then freezing those pucks until the morning. Bacon was easiest to seperate and pile only a plate prior, as standing over a hot griddle "peeling" bacon slices from a new pack was taking way too long.

You'll soon notice that the Blackstone (or any griddle) is 3/4 prep work ahead of time, and only 25% of the time is spent cooking. I think I saw on some video the guy was joking calling it the "walk of shame", when you are at the griddle and notice you have either forgotten to bring out an ingredient and need to go in and get it, or you forget altogher. Everything needs to be prepped and ready, all seasonings ready, change out the water in the water bottle each time, keep the oil squirt bottle full, etc.

Anyway, you'll find the sweet spot of cleaning/oiling/non stick eventually. Only advice, wait a few cooks on the sugar stuff. I cook a bit of bulgogi and other Korean marinated meat, there is sugar on those and they will cook and brown up nicely, with plenty of crispy edges, but it will leave a burnt mess on your griddle. I do those last, cooking everything else prior. I turn off the burners, let it cool, then a take the scraper and the sugar comes off in whole pieces, just lifting off the griddle as there is no penetration to the steel so it practically blows away.

An infra-red type point and shoot thermometer is a must have, for me, as I want to know precisely how hot it is during the process. I have been known to throw on onions on the far right of the griddle closest to the tank as the temp is coming up. Onions are kind of low and slow. When i put them on screeching hot, it will dry them out more. I shoot for 250-300 on them, cover with a pan, and the driveway smells like sausage and onions like the ball park.

Good luck George, with every practice comes "more food!"

Back