Anybody have feedback on Pellet Pro or Masterbuilt Gravity?

cayenneman

I have a big trailer mounted stick burner and a Stumps Classic Gravity Feed but I'm looking for something to use when I just wanna do one rack of ribs or a brisket. Looking for something for the deck. I have a Pit Boss which I absolutely hate and am gonna get rid of. I have been looking at the Pellet Pro 2300 and the Masterbuilt 1050 Gravity Feed. Was wondering if anybody can speak good or bad to either of these models or suggest something else. My neighbor has a Rec Tec Pellet smoker that he loves. Thanks yall.

I have a big trailer mounted stick burner and a Stumps Classic Gravity Feed but I'm looking for something to use when I just wanna do one rack of ribs or a brisket. Looking for something for the deck. I have a Pit Boss which I absolutely hate and am gonna get rid of. I have been looking at the Pellet Pro 2300 and the Masterbuilt 1050 Gravity Feed. Was wondering if anybody can speak good or bad to either of these models or suggest something else. My neighbor has a Rec Tec Pellet smoker that he loves. Thanks yall.

Which Pit Boss grill do you have and what is it about the Pit Boss that you don’t like? Is it the features on the grill or is it the lack of Smoke flavor profile that you desire from pellets? The Pellet Pro 2300 has more volume and is built like a tank, but the smoke flavor profile will still come from pellets. I have a modified PB Austin XL with a Pellet Pro PID Controller/Hopper assembly and Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G. Smoke Gen. attach to it and I also have the CG 980 Gravity Fed Smoker as well. If smoke flavor profile is the most important to you, then I would recommend getting the MB 1050. If volume, cooking space are important and you enjoy the smoke flavor profile that pellets provide, then get the Pellet Pro 2300. FYI.. The Pellet Pro 2300 and the MB 1050 are kinda like Apples and Oranges…. Kinda the same, but both are very different at the same time. Both provide Set it and Forget it ease, but one is kinda like a All in One, do all grill/smoker… the Masterbuilt 1050 and the other is primarily a large volume hot/cold smoking pellet smoker, the Pellet Pro 2300. I guess you’ll have to figure out, what are the most important features that you want and can live with. Remember, pellet smoke will always be what it is… Pellet Smoke. and Charcoal and Hardwood smoke combined will always be better.. .02 My suggestion for something else…. Get the CharGriller 980 GF. You’re already familiar with the smoke flavor profile that Gravity Feed Grills produce, a lot of the updates/mods that the MB 1050 needs are already built into the CG 980, decent size cooking space and lastly.. a $600.00 price tag. Good luck

Last edited:
Which Pit Boss grill do you have and what is it about the Pit Boss that you don’t like? Is it the features on the grill or is it the lack of Smoke flavor profile that you desire from pellets? The Pellet Pro 2300 has more volume and is built like a tank, but the smoke flavor profile will still come from pellets. I have a modified PB Austin XL with a Pellet Pro PID Controller/Hopper assembly and Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G. Smoke Gen. attach to it and I also have the CG 980 Gravity Fed Smoker as well. If smoke flavor profile is the most important to you, then I would recommend getting the MB 1050. If volume, cooking space are important and you enjoy the smoke flavor profile that pellets provide, then get the Pellet Pro 2300. FYI.. The Pellet Pro 2300 and the MB 1050 are kinda like Apples and Oranges…. Kinda the same, but both are very different at the same time. Both provide Set it and Forget it ease, but one is kinda like a All in One, do all grill/smoker… the Masterbuilt 1050 and the other is primarily a large volume hot/cold smoking pellet smoker, the Pellet Pro 2300. I guess you’ll have to figure out, what are the most important features that you want and can live with. Remember, pellet smoke will always be what it is… Pellet Smoke. and Charcoal and Hardwood smoke combined will always be better.. .02 My suggestion for something else…. Get the CharGriller 980 GF. You’re already familiar with the smoke flavor profile that Gravity Feed Grills produce, a lot of the updates/mods that the MB 1050 needs are already built into the CG 980, decent size cooking space and lastly.. a $600.00 price tag. Good luck

Im not sure the exact model of the Pit Boss I have. It's the veretical cabinet. Copperhead 5 or 7. I usually light a pellet maze and place inside for added smoke. The reason I don't like it is mainly because I can't trust it on a long cook. It will be cooking along just fine, then without warning I'll see my temps in the pit dropping via my Thermoworks Smoke. When I go to see what is happening, something has caused it to continually feel pellets into the burn pot, so hard thet the pot overflows and has extinguished the flame. That and a few other reasons, but generally I dont like it. Thanks for the advice. So what are your thoughts on the Pellet Pro woth a smoke maze or smoke generator mod? Sound good to you?

Im not sure the exact model of the Pit Boss I have. It's the veretical cabinet. Copperhead 5 or 7. I usually light a pellet maze and place inside for added smoke. The reason I don't like it is mainly because I can't trust it on a long cook. It will be cooking along just fine, then without warning I'll see my temps in the pit dropping via my Thermoworks Smoke. When I go to see what is happening, something has caused it to continually feel pellets into the burn pot, so hard thet the pot overflows and has extinguished the flame. That and a few other reasons, but generally I dont like it. Thanks for the advice. So what are your thoughts on the Pellet Pro woth a smoke maze or smoke generator mod? Sound good to you?

That sounds like an issue with that particular cooker. My Camp Chef is over 5 years old, sits outside 365 days a year only being used a handful of times a year & it always works, I've never had an issue or flame out EVER (knock on wood of course) Without spending a ton of money you can probably fix or replace that cooker. With that being said a new cooker is way more fun!

I have an MB560 and it has produced some of the best BBQ I've ever made. It's easier and more fun to use than my MAK2 and Primo XL. I did have some issues with the stock controller, so my FD2Drive now controls the cooker. Considering its low cost, I think you'll be shocked at how good a smoker it is. I only use mine for smoking at temps 400* or less.

I have the 1050 and absolutely love it. I find I don’t have the time to feed a fire like I used to, so this fit the bill for me. Smoke flavor is good but I like it for the charcoal flavor I get with it. I bought the 1050 because I never wanted to say I wish I had more room when cooking for a crowd. Never had any issues with the controller or app, only problem I had was on a long cook the Kingsford I was using blocked up the bottom grate and was causing temp issues. Thankfully my wife was home so she could shake the bottom grate to clear the ash. Now only use B&B briquettes or lump.
Just my .02

If you’re fine with the smoke flavor profile produced by pellets, then I would go with the maze or pellet smoke tube out of the box over the SmokeDaddy Smoke Generator. Not because they’re better… They just require less work to manage and you’ll get more hours/time of smoke. As another option also, you can burn a mixture of wood pellets and hardwood chips in the pellet smoke tube to enhance the smoke flavor profile from the smoke tube. The only SmokeDaddy Smoke Generator I would ever use is the Magnum P.I.G.. It’s the largest of the 3 that they sell and it provides the longest smoke time of all their smoke generators. You can burn hardwood chips, chunks and small pieces of lump charcoal in the smoke generator, which is a great advantage over using a maze or smoke tube. You can also burn pellets in the Smoke Gen. as well, but SmokeDaddyinc does not recommend using pellets. The only downside to using any of SmokeDaddy’s smoke generators is the maintenance of cleaning. I wish that there Smoke Gens. were made out of Stainless Steel and not out of heavy duty Aluminum. When burning any wood inside the canister, it will develop a black tar like residue inside the canister, especially if the fire burn is smoldering and the airflow is bad. FYI. Good quality lump charcoal works best to help promote a hotter burn then briquettes. What I also did to correct/remedy this issue, was to place a stainless steel sleeve inside the canister and to add 4 more holes to the base/bottom canister cap to help promote more air flow and a hotter, cleaner burn. The stainless steel sleeve mod. has work great for me, but it should be something that’s already offered by SmokeDaddy or just make the entire canister out of stainless steel to solve the problem of the black tar. .02..
My thoughts on the Pellet Pro…
If volume and size is more important, then go with the Pellet Pro 2300… The Pellet Pro is a 100% better then any Pit Boss Copperhead vertical pellet smoker. If true Hardwood and Charcoal smoke is more important, then go with the CharGriller 980 GF or the Masterbuilt 1050. FYI.. You can always use a Pellet Smoke Tube inside the ash bin of a Gravity Fed Smoker if pellet smoke is your preference in that moment. Just something else to consider. Kinda like having a Charcoal/Hardwood smoker and Pellet Smoker all in one. lol…. But true.

Last edited:
I have an MB560 and it has produced some of the best BBQ I've ever made. It's easier and more fun to use than my MAK2 and Primo XL. I did have some issues with the stock controller, so my FD2Drive now controls the cooker. Considering its low cost, I think you'll be shocked at how good a smoker it is. I only use mine for smoking at temps 400* or less.

I agree with this post. I've had one for a few months & it has been a real joy. It has quirks like a leg that leaks & some sensors that need replacing, but other than that I cannot complain a bit about it. I'm going to keep using it until it gives out. It's done everything I've wanted from smoking to searing without too much of an issue. As long as you're not a huge stickler for efficiency its a good choice.

If mine broke or disappeared today I would struggle with choosing a MB 1050 or CG 980, but probably the former since the issues I've read with the latter. Regardless they both look nice in the store making it a difficult choice.

The interesting thing to me is that every time a Master built owner mentions their cooker they have great things to say about it. I'm on the fence myself looking at the MB 1050, threads like this push me even closer.

The interesting thing to me is that every time a Master built owner mentions their cooker they have great things to say about it. I'm on the fence myself looking at the MB 1050, threads like this push me even closer.

I bought a 560 in January of 2020. When the 1050 came out, I bought that one because of the larger grill area that I wanted. When the rotisserie kit came out, I put it on my 560 for a dedicated rotisserie cooker. It took Masterbuilt a while to get the wi-fi connection solid with Android devices. During that time I bought a Fireboard, upgraded the fan to a bigger cfm and had a smoker and griller bar none. The food produced was outstanding, from low and slow briskets, to 700f grilling and searing.

Back