All the meat not being sent to restaurants?

busmania

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
So I’m curious. Since restaurants are shut down around me (Colorado) what is happening with all the extra meat they aren’t ordering from suppliers? I assume some ends up in the supply chain but where do the cuts like brisket and beef ribs go (things the grocery store doesn’t stock)? I want the high end ribs but not at the boutique “meat store” costs. Around here it’s either Costco meat or high end butcher shop. I want to find the restaurant quality meats that grocery stores don’t carry. Does that make sense? I assume the distributors want to sell this meat that restaurants aren’t really buying since they are shut down.

How about farm to consumer (with out mail order)? Anyone know of any farms around Colorado that sell direct with quality meat?

Well, the steers, hogs and chickens don't go on vacation. And the farmers and ranchers need to sell the animals on their slaughter date or they loose money.

So, yes with restaurants not buying as much there is more product in circulation. The larger buyers can hold primals, or boxed beef in controlled walk-in coolers which buffers the excess amounts, but only for 30 or 40 days. The smaller producers might not have that luxury, so maybe there are good deals from them?

In my town, the grocery store limit on hamburger is one pound per visit, and one butcher shop has converted to only selling hamburger. I'm sure they are buying chuck rolls and grinding them for resale, but they are working 16 hour days and business is goooood. Meanwhile, at Sam's club, I can buy a chuck roll (limit one) and grind 20 pounds of burger.

If anything sales are better then ever. Meats are being wiped out in my area. Supply and demand. The demand is there big time. If livestock farms are choosing to hold their livestock for restaurants, then i guess they will suffer, when they could flourish.

They are holding it for a reason. If they have to shut down the slaughterhouses, there will be a severe shortage. Beef and pork, maybe not as much, if they can get feed, but feed mills and farms will be impacted by sheltering place as well. Poultry will be rough. It takes roughly 9 weeks to go from biddies to slaughter. There is no way to place the workers 6 feet apart. So, if they have to shut down, the last biddies in, still need 9 weeks. The only option then is to dispose of millions of birds in the pipeline, because if they get too big, they can't process then. Just imagine the PETA outcry. Then, when they can restart, it will take several weeks to get eggs hatched enough to start back grow houses. (Laying Henson will be ok, if they can get them feed). Then 9 weeks to processing, and several months to fill the chain back up.

Buckle up, it's about to get bumpy...

It is my understanding that there is a very low chance of ever stopping industries like slaughterhouses and commercial butchers. All of that takes place in a controlled, sanitized environment where the chances of spreading are very low and it is needed to keep the people fed.

And they announced a positive Covid 19 test in one poultry worker locally already. Once they get sick and infect others there, whose gonna work. And if people are getting paid to sit at home, who is gonna apply to take their place? I've been keeping tabs on the neighbors livestock recently...

I'm in the Denver area as well, and at my local Costco the meat rack was filled with cryopacks of Prime steak primals. I did not see any pre-portioned steak trays.

Great time to buy one if you have a vacuum sealer and room in your freezer.

BTW, This store was limiting purchases of burger and chicken to one package per membership.

I'm in the Denver area as well, and at my local Costco the meat rack was filled with cryopacks of Prime steak primals. I did not see any pre-portioned steak trays.

Great time to buy one if you have a vacuum sealer and room in your freezer.

BTW, This store was limiting purchases of burger and chicken to one package per membership.

How’d brisket and ribs look? I’m down south. Usually shop the park meadows Costco. Have t been to Costco for 3 weeks. I stocked up before the panic but now I’m panicked I didn’t buy enough! I’d like to find some beef ribs too but usually only find those at the commercial location off federal and 6th (or around there somewhere, don’t remember exactly).

But really the motivation of this thread is to find the restaurant quality brisket at the restaurant wholesale price! I’d like to cook something other than Costco meat for once. I get that that probably ain’t happening. I may splurge and get a snake river brisket before I completely run out of money (100% commissions, no work currently or in the near future).

I found choice beef ribs at the Costco Business Center on Saturday. Been pretty much a miss for prime ribs lately though. And the choice ribs don't seem to be regularly available.

I think this is the same store that you mentioned.

Plenty of brisket, however not prime.

Lots of belly if you're looking to make bacon.

Pork ribs and shoulder seemed to be available as well.

If you discover a source of restaurant quality for wholesale price please share. I am on the same quest. I will do the same.

You might see if you could be a cash buyer at Sysco, or whatever restaurant wholesaler is in your area. I have done it before, I had to buy by the case (5 briskets) but I was able to get prime.

There are a lot of factors at work here.

Hoarding is actually limiting supply and increasing prices in some real-world terms. Seriously, there are some REAL SHORTAGES for some meat products right now not because of sick callouts but because of HOARDING massively abnormal purchase quantities by people at large.

The real crisis will come later when people that have 10 years' worth of toilet paper stocked in their garage and spare bedrooms and, 5+ freezers full of everything from steaks to chicken fingers!

As someone who is an FFA "American Farmer" who put themselves through college (engineering degree not 'AG econ') raising beef cattle and wheat with some milo thrown in for variety, restaurant trade in beef, pork, and chicken is poorly understood by the public at large.

Cornish-cross commercial chickens can bounce back IF egg production is 'steady'. I'm definitely not a PETA person but, if you think GESTATIONAL crates are cruel for female hogs, you have totally missed your PETA 'oath' if you eat chicken at any fast food place, 99% of restaurants and, absolutely any chicken purchased at grocery stores or discount clubs. :shocked: Don't get me started on "free-range" packaged eggs and meat in shrink-wrapped trays! :deadhorse:

THE BASIC LACK OF FOOD KNOWLEDGE IS SHOCKING IN THE UNITED STATES. :violin:

Wheat will continue to grow, corn will continue to go into your gas tank, the main thing that can't increase or shrink relatively quickly is beef due to the long production cycles required (and the fact that almost all cows only produce one calf at a time at a rate of about one per year under optimal conditions AND the time it takes for a newborn calf to become a heifer and then a cow).

Tilapia and Japanese Quail raised in your own backyard are a much better and cost-effective solution for most people. Backyard chickens are a wonderful option as well if 'domestic livestock' are allowed in your urban jurisdiction. Now go raise some Honey Bees if you want fruit, vegetables and, nuts as well!
:drama::gossip::nerd::hungry:

Seriously, on my rural East Texas property, I have grown my own chickens from fertilized eggs, honey bees, Tilapia in IBC tanks, and Japanese quail. It is much easier than people 'at large' think and really isn't that hard or difficult with a backyard in most urban household settings (given the normal caveats about zoning and HOA rules). I'm probably going to go to a rabbitry instead of quail though as the quail are basically redundant for me personally and a rabbit is more complimentary to chickens.

For those of you thinking meat chickens are the answer (as opposed to normal dual-purpose breeds), get some 'Red Rangers' instead of Cornish-X's! :wink:

Back