Well, I pulled the trigger: Blue Smoke Smoker ordered today!!!

Did ya get it yet?

Whatda think?

Did you do a biscuit test?

COME ON MAN!

We need info?

:laugh:

Did ya get it yet?

Whatda think?

COME ON MAN!

We need info?

:laugh:

Next day delivery like Amazon. :grin:

Hey.....that would be a good idea for some investor. Quality offset with no wait time. Build a bunch of them, THEN put them on the market.

I SAID QUALITY..... not those that are currently available with no wait.

Good luck....I'm anxious to hear your BS story too!
(lol...that just kinda reads funny, doesn't it?).

Thanks.
I was beginning to think you might know me. I've been accused of being full of BS but I finally realized you were talking about the smoker :mrgreen:

and he said it with my timing, I might can get mine on with 1-2 that are being shipped to MS and AL....and if all can go on same truck, we might all get a shipping break.

I could drive to his shop and back in a day, but it would be a long one. I'll sure check with him when it gets a little closer to completion. Thanks for the heads up.

If anybody has any info on grate temps and hot spots when running in the 250 deg. F range I'd be interested in hearing about it. I started to create a new thread on running it but thought it might be best to keep that kind of info here since there isn't a lot of comments on this smoker available yet.

Last edited:
If anybody has any info on grate temps and hot spots when running in the 250 deg. F range I'd be interested in hearing about it. I started to create a new thread on running it but thought it might be best to keep that kind of info here since there isn't a lot of comments on this smoker available yet.

I think I posted this in an earlier thread - I had a removable baffle built by a local fabricator that I can put in and out of the smoker - similar to what Franklin and Mill Scale has - I think Phil will build you one if you ask him

I have never done a biscuit test because I am too lazy - but my pit likes to run around 250-275

The first picture shows the hot spot when I ran it without the deflector (I just put the deflector in for the picture)

The second picture shows the hot spot concentrated under the deflector and directly in front of it

Hope that helps

I think I posted this in an earlier thread - I had a removable baffle built by a local fabricator that I can put in and out of the smoker - similar to what Franklin and Mill Scale has - I think Phil will build you one if you ask him

I have never done a biscuit test because I am too lazy - but my pit likes to run around 250-275

The first picture shows the hot spot when I ran it without the deflector (I just put the deflector in for the picture)

The second picture shows the hot spot concentrated under the deflector and directly in front of it

Hope that helps

Yep.. I had Phil build one for me...it appears it will be out of 1/4" steel....I think he charged me $50.

This is how he listed it on my invoice:

Griddle plate for chamber $50.00T
21" wide x 6" deep with 2" Legs made from 1/4" Plate
1 X $50.00

I sent him the dimensions of the one I had built last year - think he has made a few so far - believe it does help to distribute the heat evenly - and nice that you can take in and out of the pit as you see fit

I have reverse seared some smoked burgers and steaks on it as well - it gets pretty hot sitting next to the firebox! I seasoned mine like a cast iron/carbon steel pan - with BuzzyWaxx

What if.....

I sent him the dimensions of the one I had built last year - think he has made a few so far - believe it does help to distribute the heat evenly - and nice that you can take in and out of the pit as you see fit

I have reverse seared some smoked burgers and steaks on it as well - it gets pretty hot sitting next to the firebox! I seasoned mine like a cast iron/carbon steel pan - with BuzzyWaxx

I've been watching videos of other smokers and thinking etc.

I'm curious what would happen, if you took this "moveable" damper, and well, flipped it on its side..legs towards that firebox and essentially make a bit of a chimney UP that first wall.....to help the firebox heat by directing it a bit more up and then across.

I'm wondering what effect this would have.

I was thinking of trying the baffle that way and setting a water pan dead in front of it...wondering if that would decrease how far and wide the hot spot out of the firebox invaded the cooking area??

OH well....I'm months away from getting the darned thing and already trying to tinker with it in my head...haha.

C

I'm curious what would happen, if you took this "moveable" damper, and well, flipped it on its side..legs towards that firebox and essentially make a bit of a chimney UP that first wall.....to help the firebox heat by directing it a bit more up and then across.

I cut the quote below from a different thread that helped me understand the different baffle plate designs. After reading it and watching a few videos on using a “chute” below the grates I’ve got a few things to try. The first one is turning the griddle/baffle on its side like you mentioned above. I’m also thinking that a plate cut to match the id of the chamber and up to the bottom of the grate would help redirect most the heat up to the top of the cooking chamber. Since it would also be “drop in” moveable type baffle, even if its a failure it could be trimmed up to make a nice tool to clean the firebox with.

<snipped>
Next, you need to understand the different types of offsets and how the heat flows in them.

1. A traditional flow "open pit" design has no baffle at the throat opening between the fire box and cook chamber, and does not use tuning plates of any kind. This will be a top down cooker, as the heat comes up out of the throat and goes over the top of the food. Fat cap up works best in this type of cooker. This is what your NB smoker is as stock. The Oklahoma Joe Highland/Long Horn is another inexpensive example of this type.

2. A Traditional flow with a downward baffle at the throat (as what you are looking at) will be a bottom up cooker, as the heat is directed down by the baffle and is deflected to the center of the cook chamber where it rises. This may or may not cause a hot spot in the center of your cook chamber. Fat cap down works best in this type of cooker. The Old Country Pecos/Brazos, and the Workhorse Pits 1957/1969/1975 are examples of this style.

3. A traditional flow with a downward baffle and tuning plates will also be a bottom up cooker. The baffle directs the heat down, and it flows under the tuning plates, coming up from the spaces between the plates (or in some cases the holes in a one piece tuning plate). Fat cap down also works best in this type of cooker. The Lone Star Grillz cookers are examples of this style.

4. A reverse flow has a solid baffle that runs from the firebox side to the other end. The heat and smoke run under the baffle to the other side where it enters the cook chamber and moves over the food. This type of cooker is kind of a hybrid, because you have convective heat flowing top down over the food, but you have a significant amount of radiant heat coming up from the reverse flow plate hitting the bottom of the food. Fat cap down works best in this type of cooker because of the strong radiant heat directly under the food from the reverse flow plate. Shirley Fabrication and Lang are examples of this style cooker.

Figure out how you like to cook, and you will figure out what type of cooker will work best for you, which will then answer your question on if that baffle will be a good idea for you, or a bad idea.

When I bought my first offset I screwed up because I did not really understand any of what I describe above. I bought a reverse flow cooker which I later realized is a bottom up cooker best suited for fat cap down..... but I prefer to cook brisket and pork butts fat cap up. The pork butts were a little crispy on the bottom but still turned out OK since they were shredded anyways, but my briskets just never really turned out right.

I now have a traditional flow open pit (Big Phil's Blue Smoke Smoker), which is a top down cooker and my briskets and shoulders come out amazing. Mine has a removable Mill Scale/Franklin type baffle which technically means I have added a baffle (although I can take it out any time), but this style baffle still causes the heat and smoke to flow up over the food, so still a top down cooker. Below is a picture of this type of baffle (not mine, this is actually member TheHojo's, but mine is identical). This is also the same baffle concept mentioned earlier in this thread by member Sandro.

Moral of the story... knowing what you like to cook and how you like to cook it, and having the right type of cooker to cook that way and work WITH you instead of against you makes all the difference in the world.
End Quote

External and upper shelf questions....

I cut the quote below from a different thread that helped me understand the different baffle plate designs. After reading it and watching a few videos on using a “chute” below the grates I’ve got a few things to try. The first one is turning the griddle/baffle on its side like you mentioned above. I’m also thinking that a plate cut to match the id of the chamber and up to the bottom of the grate would help redirect most the heat up to the top of the cooking chamber. Since it would also be “drop in” moveable type baffle, even if its a failure it could be trimmed up to make a nice tool to clean the firebox with.

End Quote

A couple quick questions:

1. Do you find the external shelf to be useful? I was considering it, but looking at how the large handle of the cook chamber door hangs over it...didn't look like you could keep much ON that table without knocking it all off when opening and closing the door...?

2. Are you getting much use out of the 2nd upper shelf in the cook chamber? I'd considered it, but the clearance I'm seeing in the pictures doesn't make it appear there is much room up there...do you use it much?
As I understand it...the upper shelf cooks MUCH hotter than the regular shelf....which is cool..if you use your much, what types stuff do you cook up there when you have larger, lower slower meats on the lower grate?

Thank you in advance!!

cayenne

I have a folding front shelf - I use it quite a bit - an aluminum pan will fit on the front shelf under the chamber door handle

I like having it there to put tongs, spices, beer, etc

I got a top shelf - but mine is only a half top shelf - so it isn’t in the way when i need to mist or reposition the proteins below - I have done ribs, chicken on the top shelf - will also throw a casserole up there in a half aluminum pan. My thought process was I probably won’t use that much - but might as well get it for those rare times I want to use it

Ted

External shelf maybe....

I have a folding front shelf - I use it quite a bit - an aluminum pan will fit on the front shelf under the chamber door handle

I like having it there to put tongs, spices, beer, etc

I got a top shelf - but mine is only a half top shelf - so it isn’t in the way when i need to mist or reposition the proteins below - I have done ribs, chicken on the top shelf - will also throw a casserole up there in a half aluminum pan. My thought process was I probably won’t use that much - but might as well get it for those rare times I want to use it

Ted

Ok, thanks!!

I bought a Spike brewing system before I found the BS Smoker deal....so, between these two purchases, the latter being unplanned...I've spent my "toy" money for the year...
So I was trying to keep the $$ down on the smoker where I could.

Hmm..I think Phil will let me add things on till the unit is built in Sept. I'm debating the shelf....like to put magnetic temp probes, etc.

The extra cooking grate...I'm just debating how much I'd actually use it. I believe it is an extra $150 as is the external shelf....and if that extra grate would spend most of its time being stored somewhere rather than being used to cook food...I'd rather save the money towards wood delivery...hehe.

I suppose if worse came to worse...I have friends who can weld down here. I could later maybe have them tack weld slots for a shelf to put in there later....

Anyway...ok, right now, I think the external shelf might be on the "add" list...the internal upper cooking grate....meh.

cayenne

Ok, thanks!!

I bought a Spike brewing system before I found the BS Smoker deal....so, between these two purchases, the latter being unplanned...I've spent my "toy" money for the year...

cayenne

Need to prioritize your hobbies. Brewing is a winter sport, BBQ is summer. I'm thankful that at this point in my life, my hobbies have an unlimited budget.

Ok, thanks!!

So I was trying to keep the $$ down on the smoker where I could.

Hmm..I think Phil will let me add things on till the unit is built in Sept. I'm debating the shelf....like to put magnetic temp probes, etc.

The extra cooking grate...I'm just debating how much I'd actually use it. I believe it is an extra $150 as is the external shelf....and if that extra grate would spend most of its time being stored somewhere rather than being used to cook food...I'd rather save the money towards wood delivery...hehe.

I suppose if worse came to worse...I have friends who can weld down here. I could later maybe have them tack weld slots for a shelf to put in there later....

Anyway...ok, right now, I think the external shelf might be on the "add" list...the internal upper cooking grate....meh.

cayenne

If it was me - between the two I would get the folding front shelf

Tell me more about this Spike brewing system - for brewing beer?

The only add on I really need is the damper. I got a few additions because it’s easier to just get them now than add them later but not really necessary imo

I didn’t realize the folding shelf was an option for the blue smoke model, thanks for pointing that out. Based on its size, that would be a good add on.
If you decide on leaving the second cooking grate out, it might be worth asking about having the two angle iron tracks welded in. That would make it possible to add a grate later without having to modify the smoker.

I didn’t realize the folding shelf was an option for the blue smoke model, thanks for pointing that out. Based on its size, that would be a good add on.
If you decide on leaving the second cooking grate out, it might be worth asking about having the two angle iron tracks welded in. That would make it possible to add a grate later without having to modify the smoker.

Here is mine with shelf both up and down

Back