Part one of my double threat meal :<) Chucky

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey All,

Starting my cross rib chuck pot roast tonight. I usually do regular chuck or 7 bone in the crock pot but wanted to try smokin one. I think shoulda gone with a regular chuck roast for this but /shrug. I will update with pics thru-out the cook I won't update this top post though it will be in the pages of this thread.

I' am going to inject a 3.86 lb cross rib roast with beef broth then rub with spg. Gonna cook till good bark or 160 on top grate of my masterbuilt 560 at 180 smoker temp. Then wrap with baby carrots, onions and baby red potatoes that will have been going in a pan with broth bumped up to 225. Gonna gook till 190-205 internal or whenever I think it might probe right.

time to kick it off

Alrighty everything's prepped to go on the smoker. Top meat is before prep and injection straight outta the plastic. Meats trimmed a tad then injected dried off and rubbed with spg. Veggies are slathered in EVOO and spinkled with spg. Gonna throw em in my veggie basket for an hour or so for some smoke then put em in the broth and cover them. Pic inc

Last edited:
My only thought, is that is a LOT of time on smoke. I know even on the lighter pellet smokers, people generally say to run on Smoke for a couple of hours. Running smoke till 160 internal seems like you'll be waiting forever. I haven't heard anything about those Masterbuilts being light on smoke, so can't see the need to run it on that mode the entire time.

Not really for smoke just wanted decent bark I might pull at 140 to wrap we'll see how the bark looks. Remember too it's only a 3.6 lber so might cook fast my last flat did. these MB GF's are beasts lol

For sure, when I do chuck I generally run Smoke setting for 2 hour, then crank it a bit, wrap at 160ish. Your wrap temp I was on board with, but I thought I read 'run it at 180 till it hits 160' (mind you, I'm likely not very sober right now)

45 mins in checked on veggies I will probably put them in a pan with 1.5 cups broth and wrap them in about 30-45 more mins. The meat looks fine not messing with it for a while temps 81 internal on the meat.

The meat went into the pan at 151 internal on a bed of red onions with beef broth, brown sugar and some butter along with the drippings. Veggies still plugging along wrapped with broth.. 100% in the stall now. The meat stalled at 151 so I just said screw it and wrapped it up. Inkbird and MB Gravity feed 100% doing their jobs :<). Getting kind hangry o_O :thumb:

Last edited:
Looking good. I put my chuck roast on extreme smoke setting for around 5 hours, but this is on a pellet grill.

Carrots and potatoes are done came out great. I had to move the roast to the oven cause I ran out of charcoal lol.

Mind u 560 owners I was using royal oak lump. Full hopper + a little when it went down. I used no wood chunks and the fuel lasted around 7 hours at temps 180 to 250. Will post pics of roast when done I have not seen it since I wrapped the pan.

Last edited:
Making gravy as it sits on the counter resting all bundled and snuggled in some butchers paper.... Probed good but I won't know till I cut it open. Pulled at consistent 203's and soft probing. Will post cut pick in about an hour.

Last edited:
Finished... Pull apart easy.. It has a nice gentle smoke taste not overpowering. Not too bad for first chuck 100% a little dry but I can work on that. Cut of meat made it hard because it had almost no fat. Wass like a 7.5 hour cook /gasp. Pull apart btw super tender so I give it a thumbs up.

Last edited:
Love posting my cooks to add to the searchable database lol :<). Ever since I was pointed to the working search feature I been reading tons of back dated posts. Yeah cook wasn't bad I like my crock pot roasts better though comparatively this was the Sahara of roasts lol. Not really fair to compare a slow cooker roast to a smoked though I think.

Thoughts on which cooking process serves up a better pot roast?

Back