Bacon Day

rob g

Full Fledged Farker
Got my back bacon finished today. Probably the last batch until fall and it cools down a bit. Cured with Morton's Tenderquick and garlic, black pepper, onion, paprika, brown sugar for flavor. Cold smoked for 8 hours with a pellet tray of half apple and half cob pellets.

Attachments

• photo_1624141689790.jpg
    photo_1624141689790.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 142
  • photo_1624141753164.jpg
    photo_1624141753164.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 141
That looks very good, almost a production line

That looks very good, almost a production line
I kind of got a little carried away. The loins were on sale for $1.88/lb so I bought 3. I smoked it overnight when it was cooler and had to do it in 2 batches.

Have never seen bacon with so much lean meat! You mentioned loins but does not look like a pork loin at all. What gives?
Ed

Have never seen bacon with so much lean meat! You mentioned loins but does not look like a pork loin at all. What gives?
Ed

These were pork loins about 7-8lb each. I cut them in half to fit the zip lock bags plus they would have been too long to fit the cheap propane smoker box I use for cold smoking. They had a nice layer of fat on the one side. They may have been towards the thick end of the loins. With the fat they fry up nice. At $1.88/lb vs $5+/lb for pork belly I'm not going to squawk. It doesn't hurt so much when I give a bunch away to friends and family lol

Back