Yet another turkey thread...

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Scott/Mongo
Since we're chatting about different methods to prepare a bird, I'll toss my method into the mix. Count me in as fan of dry brining, but with a bit of a twist.

After thawing, but before brining, I deconstruct the bird into quarters, full wings, a bone in breast and the back. Once separated, the sections (less the back which is reserved for stock) are brined for up to three days. For today's cook, one breast section got the full three day brine and the remainder only about four hours this morning.

Here are 1.5 birds (one full, one breast only) on the Oval running at 325 after about an hour:

OV9qi62.jpg

And here's the finished product:

PZvMSu1.jpg

tFbzSOO.jpg

The quarters & wings came off right after the first pic, the smaller breast about 30 minutes later and the bigger breast about twenty minutes after that. All in all, it was less than a two hour cook. IMHO, the beauty of this method (besides the speed) is the ability to take the parts off individually as they are done.

The dark meat was succulent as expected and breast was out of this world juicy... While it's tough to catch any drippings, we pre-roast chicken quarters ahead of time and reserve those drippings for gravy.

If you've never tried deconstruction and dry brining, I'd suggest you give them a test drive. I'm confident you'll be pleased with the results. :mrgreen:

Hmmm, ya got me thinking.
Looks great!

Edit, I am in for Thursday.

Last edited:
Nice job!
Practice run fer the Thanksgiving?

-D

Thanks, Dave. One of the breasts was for my daughter and SIL to take back down to Pullman. He’s down there finishing up one of his last apprenticeship steps and they won’t be back for Thanksgiving. It’s vacu-sucked and they’ll warm it up with other vittles on Thursday. The other bird got the same treatment as well, but went into the freezer here for future consumption. My bride and I decided to break with tradition this year since we’re going solo and plan on having….

:behindsofa:

:spy:

Lasagna :bolt:

Thanks, Bruce... We'll probably eat around 4 pm and will set a place for you at our table as well. I didn't get a shot of the butter, but the 12 sticks (3 pounds) will be slathered onto the loaf of garlic bread served with dinner.

Great video; thanks for sharing. He covers the basics steps better than I could ever come close to and takes the intimidation factor down substantially for anyone considering giving it a go.

I stumbled upon doing it this way a while back after spatchcocking for years with decent results. That said, the wings were still always overcooked and the quarters typically separated themselves at some point from the thorax before the breasts were done. I finally bit the bullet one year, carved it all up before hand and haven’t looked back since.

Thanks for the concern, neighbor which I share as well. What a horrific tragedy. I can't even begin to imagine what their families are going through and will be dealing with until they clock out as well.

The stuffing goes in along with the ragù and cheeses in each layer of the lasagna... should we set a place for you as well?

Sounds good! I love lasagna, but I think I'm going to be eating cassoulet as I've got to be in Toulouse for a thesis defense that someone thought would be a good idea to schedule on Friday. :doh:

Incidentally, you didn't tell me how you know when the turkey is done. Do you go by temperature? I like this method, but with my luck, I would cook each part separately to complete dryness, ruining the entire bird instead of just 80%.

Back