YAY: Pork Butt now $1.39 here again

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Just bought a case of IBP pork butt (70 something pounds for just under $100) at $1.39 / lb! Prices are so good now I am going buy another case soon. I want to stock up my freezer chest.

Pork butt is my favorite thing to BBQ, not only because it tastes so good, but because it provides so much meat (little bones & fat) for the money. At $1.39/lb pound you get more meat for your money than chicken even (since chicken has so many bones).

I like grinding it up to for sausage (italian/chorizo) and for making bacon. So many uses! :)

Also I picked up some pork loin at Sam's Club for $1.99/lb (that's their case price, but they are selling individual cryo packs of it at the same price as well.. so I bought one cryo pack). Gonna make some of cowgirl's cured pork chops (cured 2 hours) then grilled. Maybe some canadian bacon as well and a spiral stuffed roast.

Jennifer

How do you make bacon from a pork butt?

Its often called buckboard bacon.
I don't have a recipe but if you search for "buckboard bacon" you'll find a lot of references.

Buckboard-Bacon-450x337.jpg

That's a great price! I saw whole pork shoulder here in north jersey stop and shop for 1.69/lb and I thought that was good. Happy Cooking!

I think Buckboard bacon is called Cottage Ham here. Sure is great - I use it a lot for flavoring collards but also spice it hard and smoke longer and it's Tasso.

Just bought a case of IBP pork butt (70 something pounds for just under $100) at $1.39 / lb! Prices are so good now I am going buy another case soon. I want to stock up my freezer chest.

Pork butt is my favorite thing to BBQ, not only because it tastes so good, but because it provides so much meat (little bones & fat) for the money. At $1.39/lb pound you get more meat for your money than chicken even (since chicken has so many bones).

I like grinding it up to for sausage (italian/chorizo) and for making bacon. So many uses! :)

Also I picked up some pork loin at Sam's Club for $1.99/lb (that's their case price, but they are selling individual cryo packs of it at the same price as well.. so I bought one cryo pack). Gonna make some of cowgirl's cured pork chops (cured 2 hours) then grilled. Maybe some canadian bacon as well and a spiral stuffed roast.

Jennifer

Where in oklahoma did you get the butts?

Great buy Jennifer! I still have a couple butts in the freezer, along with two half briskets I got on sale, a bunch of ribs, chicken, wings, and beef short ribs. Oh and four Tri-Tips. I need to start Qing more. Come on springtime...

I just picked up 2 cases of butts at RD for $1.12/LB, makes me a happy smoker for sure. Too bad RD's brisket prices aren't dropping with the pork. $4/LB It almost makes sense to just buy SRF. Local retail prices definitely make SRF seem reasonable.

I just picked up 2 cases of butts at RD for $1.12/LB, makes me a happy smoker for sure. Too bad RD's brisket prices aren't dropping with the pork. $4/LB It almost makes sense to just buy SRF. Local retail prices definitely make SRF seem reasonable.

I just got 2 cases of butts today too @ $1.12/lb at RD in Columbus. Briskets were $3.48/lb case price I think.

Bought about 40 lbs of pork today for $65 - 2 10# butts at $1.18/lb, but they're both frozen in the same vac bag so I'm going to be making a LOT of pulled pork at some point. Maybe save half of one for some sausage? Got a 10# box of just rib tips for $20 and 10# of spares for $22. All frozen from the restaurant supply, I need to let the tips thaw a little as currently I have one giant iced hunk of tips...

Back