WSM--Cajun Bandit Door Mod Really Worth It?

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
I have had my WSM for 3 years now and run it pretty well. When I first ordered it I heard many people tell me one of if not the first mod the did was the cajun bandit door mod. I always felt like it couldn't be that big of a deal. I knew I saw smoke going out of the door, but it couldn't make that big of a difference. I was just reading a description on the cajun bandit door mod and it said it helps to stop losing smoke and heat. So according to that description my WSM would run more efficiently if I did this mod. Can anyone verify this or any other information at all about the cajun bandit door mod? Thanks

I did the Cajun Bandit door upgrade last year and I would say meh. It is super sturdy and seals tightly which is good. No noticeable difference for me in cook times or efficiency. The one thing I don't like is that it doesn't have the flaps at the bottom to hold it partially open like the original door. I liked that feature, it was easier to crack it open and throw in some charcoal or small wood chunks if needed. with the Cajun door you have to remove it and set it down on something.

Now the lid hinge, that thing is the bomb!

IMO no, but I would put a gasket on the door.

That is definitely an idea for an alternative!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I did the Cajun Bandit door upgrade last year and I would say meh. It is super sturdy and seals tightly which is good. No noticeable difference for me in cook times or efficiency. The one thing I don't like is that it doesn't have the flaps at the bottom to hold it partially open like the original door. I liked that feature, it was easier to crack it open and throw in some charcoal or small wood chunks if needed. with the Cajun door you have to remove it and set it down on something.

Now the lid hinge, that thing is the bomb!

I got the lid hinge for Christmas 2 years ago and it has been a huge disappointment. I got the one from Hunsaker Smokers (the hinge with the pin looks better to me) and it gets hung up many times when I try to close it or open it up. The hinge is so bad in fact that I don't even use it anymore. It is on there still, but I never align it.

I am also pretty interested in the mod with the wheels and clamps keeping the bottom and middle together. I could definitely see where they would be beneficial.

The original door is super flimsy and the Cajun Bandit door looks a lot better. Don't get it thinking it will solve all your problems. The Cajun Bandit door usually requires you to upgrade the door latch. Sometime, they will be slightly out of round with your WSM and you have to reform them just like the stock door.

Same here, got mine about 2 years ago. The quality of the door is unquestionable but I doubt it makes any type of significant difference. A gasket on the original door should be just as effective.

Last edited:
I agree with Porcine Perfection.

Stock door is just fine with gaskets. I've had WSM's with stock doors and CB doors. I like the compression latch that CB uses, but I've been able to get a better seal with stock door and gaskets.

I wrap bungee cord around the top of the door for years and have no leaks.
It’s a stock door with no gasket.
I do run beer and water in my pan so the top of the door is cool enough for the bungee cord.

3928-DA28-3541-4-D4-E-84-C6-444-BE8-D42-A82.jpg

I did the cb door and love the function/looks it serves....but does it improve anything to improve temp holding or function....no.

I just took my time "shaping" the stock door, no gasket, it still leaks a little but I don't see how that's a problem.
I can shut down all vents and the coals will go out in a short time.
The WSM doesn't need to be "air tight" to work, and it wasn't designed to be.

Thanks for all the insight and advice.

Sorry I'm late to the party. As a retired temp guy I can tell you that the CB can add about 20 +/- *F on average due to the heat loss characteristics of the included cover vs. the CB. Wind affects this particular smoker more than OAT. I lived in Charleston SC for 3 years and y'all don't get as hot as we do but during the Summer, my first 100*F are free.

Here's my 18" and every change has been tested. :thumb:

LjMGGJK.jpg

Most important is to have fun. :thumb:

Joedy,
I went with the Up-grade door after I had trouble getting a good seal from the original, and the cook temps dont seem to fluxuate as much, and, dialing in seems to go quicker. That was the bigger problem especially if it was a windy day, the original door always seemed to create an extra draft. I also got the Cajun Bandit hinge which works great, but I has to add some gasket material on the base for a more even fit, and not get a out of round "bend" in the chamber.
Personally I would say go for the door.

I have a cajun door on my 22 but not on my 18. It definitely helps but it's not a silver bullet.

I got it because I was cooking competitions and i need as steady temps as possible. One less thing to worry about at a comp.

IMO if using for backyard i could take it or leave it. For comps or someone who cooks a TON then it may be worth it

Back