THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
I normally use hickory and Cherry for pretty much anything I smoke which is mainly by its ribs and brisket. This time around I was wanting to switch it up a little bit and use Post oak and mesquite. Do you think mesquite would be total overkill for WSM? I'm going to be using B&B oak lump charcoal. I was thinking maybe four pieces of Post oak one piece of mesquite and maybe one piece of cherry or Apple.

I'm going to be doing this at 250° the first five or six hours and then bump up the temperature. Possibly start off at 275

I like straight up oak when I do beef. Doesn't matter what cooker I use. I have never used mesquite because of all I hear about it being so strong. I know I need to try for myself though. If you do use it can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I cooked a brisket on the 18WSM last weekend, and it was the first one I (and other tasters) thought was way over smoked. Used post oak and pecan. (4 chunks) And the first time I used B and B charcoal in the WSM.

I'm starting that brisket cook tonight. kind of wish washi about using oak and mesquite mixed with B&B oak lump. I watched a video yesterday of Henry Soo using sticks in his WSM of Post oak and he said it turned out awesome. I imagine lump will have a much stronger smoke profile thean cured Post oak sticks.My next cook I definitely want to get some sticks to burn just like an offset. For now I need to make a tough decision here in the next 4-5 hours. I'm going to start my cook around 12 tonight. The brisket has been injected since 10 last night

Back