WSM 22.5 charcoal grate

dataz722

Full Fledged Farker
Hey! I haven't been around in quite a while, but after getting tired of my UDS's rusting out and having to rebuild them every year and a few years of personal stuff and barely grilling let alone smoking anything I have finally pulled the trigger and just ordered a 22.5" WSM. It came today and after taking everything out of the box I realized the charcoal grate was nowhere to be found.

I called Weber support and after sitting on hold for an hour it just essentially said email us and hung up on me. I have emailed them, but am not holding my breath on a response let alone a replacement by this weekend. So I have looked and it has a different part number than the grate for a kettle, but will the kettle one work temporarily. It is pouring rain here and I don't feel like going out in this and pulling the grate out of the kettle to check if it will fit and I figured the brethren just HAS to know the answer.

Thanks!

Not sure of the kettle's grate size, but hey, try it.
I just got a WSM 22 for Christmas and one of the legs was for an 18", they were good about getting it out to me but I did need to go on line and register it.
Wish I could be more help, and there was another Brethren who had same problem as I did, and they took care of it too.
Wish you well, and keep us informed.

If you really want to cook right now, take a tape measure to your WSM and put it in your pocket and then head to your local big box store and get one the same, or close to the same, size. The Weber brand are a bit spendy but, the last generic one I bought was ~$11, though it was a bit flimsy for something heavy (large butt).

I would give Weber Support another chance. Ive got a WSM 22 and two Weber grills and Weber Customer support has been nothing but fantastic to deal with. There's no question that they'll send you a free grate. Best of luck.

Surprised about your experience with the support staff. I bought a 22" Kettle not so long ago that came with a slight ding on the lid. I registered the purchase, called them, sent them a picture of the damage and they promised a new lid. All within about a half hour. The new lid came promptly and they did not want the damaged one back so it now serves (modified) as a pizza lid for the Kettle.

I don't doubt that Weber support will come through, I just can't imagine I would have it by this weekend. This will be my 4th Weber and from experience I know their customer service has always been good, but with everything going on I really am not surprised its nearly impossible to get through right now.

I have no registered it yet though (actually haven't with any of them), but i'll do that now.

Lastly, am I missing something (aside from the obvious) or does the charcoal grate just rest right on the nuts holding the legs on? I don't see anything else.

To answer your question, the grate out of the kettle is slightly smaller than the wsm grate. It will fit just inside the charcoal ring

The grate is 18-1/4”

I’m surprised at your experience with Weber. Maybe corona affected things at Weber and there is one stressed out guy answering the phones???

Charcoal Grate, 22" Smokey Mountain Cooker
Item #63014
Weber quality "charcoal" grate for the 22" Smokey Mountain Cooker. This is a steel grate designed to support the charcoal. Actual diameter measures 18-1/4". Genuine Weber Part.

To answer your question, the grate out of the kettle is slightly smaller than the wsm grate. It will fit just inside the charcoal ring

Well ****. I was afraid of that.

Thank you.

The grate is 18-1/4”

I’m surprised at your experience with Weber. Maybe corona effected things at Weber and there is one stressed out guy answering the phones???

I'm sure it is. At the start of the recording it mentions something about Illinois' stay at home order so I am guessing customer service is either very short staffed or working from home or both.

I believe walmart sells replacement grates that size, no it's not webbers but should fit for a quick fix until the new one comes

After almost two hours this morning, I finally got ahold of Weber this morning. They are sending out a replacement, but unfortunately it will take 10-14 days.

Guess those butts are going to just get ground up for some sausage instead.

I believe walmart sells replacement grates that size, no it's not webbers but should fit for a quick fix until the new one comes

I might just be missing it, but I don't see any online. Thank you though.

I have found that the charcoal grate from a 26" kettle rests on the top set of leg nuts. Not the ideal solution, but the only other thing I came up with was using the the grate from a 22.5 kettle, using stainless steel zip ties to hold the coal basket to it, then precariously resting the whole contraption on top of two of the semi circle charcoal baskets. While pretty comical looking, I don't think I am going to go the route of the second option.

Back