THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So today, I had some time and decided to play with the WSCG to see if I could better control the temperatures. I put on an 8-lb. pork belly about 1.5 hours ago. I put 2.5 "Weber cups" of Kingsford blue, lit 12 briquets on my side burner and put them in the center of the charcoal, which I had spread out across the lower position of the grate. I added a few chunks of hickory and put on the diffuser plate. I left the lower vent on the "grill" setting and left the top vent open (in the traditional sense; not flipped up). I placed a Maverick 732 on the grate. The temperature slowly came up to 250 and I placed the meat in the center of the grate, with the temp probe about 1-inch away from the meat, on its side. I had also placed two drip pans WITHOUT WATER, as per all the advice I received here. I put the lower vent into the "smoke" position and I closed the top vent to about 1/2. The temp was stable for about 20 minutes, then naturally, as always, it started falling to below 220. I opened the top vent a bit, and the temp rose to mid-230s, which is my goal. It started falling again, of course. Just to check, I put a second Maverick 732 probe at the front of the grate, also about 1-inch from the meat, but in front. At this point, the temperature of the temp probe next to the meat (side) read 230, while the temp probe next to the meat (front) read 335! A full 100+ degrees higher than the other probe. Just to test, I switched the probes and got the same results, so the temperature probes are working properly (I've also tested them before). So now, the top vent is only minimally opened, the lower vent is just to the left of the "smoke" setting, the temp probe on the side of the meat reads 248; the temp probe in front of the meat reads 333 and the temp on the grill itself reads 310. Now, I'm even more confused and frustrated than before and I have no idea what to do next other than perhaps take a bat to this thing.

So today, I had some time and decided to play with the WSCG to see if I could better control the temperatures. I put on an 8-lb. pork belly about 1.5 hours ago. I put 2.5 "Weber cups" of Kingsford blue, lit 12 briquets on my side burner and put them in the center of the charcoal, which I had spread out across the lower position of the grate. I added a few chunks of hickory and put on the diffuser plate. I left the lower vent on the "grill" setting and left the top vent open (in the traditional sense; not flipped up). I placed a Maverick 732 on the grate. The temperature slowly came up to 250 and I placed the meat in the center of the grate, with the temp probe about 1-inch away from the meat, on its side. I had also placed two drip pans WITHOUT WATER, as per all the advice I received here. I put the lower vent into the "smoke" position and I closed the top vent to about 1/2. The temp was stable for about 20 minutes, then naturally, as always, it started falling to below 220. I opened the top vent a bit, and the temp rose to mid-230s, which is my goal. It started falling again, of course. Just to check, I put a second Maverick 732 probe at the front of the grate, also about 1-inch from the meat, but in front. At this point, the temperature of the temp probe next to the meat (side) read 230, while the temp probe next to the meat (front) read 335! A full 100+ degrees higher than the other probe. Just to test, I switched the probes and got the same results, so the temperature probes are working properly (I've also tested them before). So now, the top vent is only minimally opened, the lower vent is just to the left of the "smoke" setting, the temp probe on the side of the meat reads 248; the temp probe in front of the meat reads 333 and the temp on the grill itself reads 310. Now, I'm even more confused and frustrated than before and I have no idea what to do next other than perhaps take a bat to this thing.

Have to ask, but have you tried following the directions from Weber ? Specifically, page 24 of the manual ?

Have to ask, but have you tried following the directions from Weber ? Specifically, page 24 of the manual ?

Yes, I have, but the experience was the same, multiple times. The only thing different is that I'm starting the coals with lit coals rather than the propane starter. There is no difference in my experience.

Nevermind what the vent setting say (that's stupid anyway), just adjust them as needed. It's gotta be frustrating to pay that much money, for a cooker you can't control. It's obviously doable, as many other folks are having good luck. Have you tried searching for YouTube videos? Sometimes seeing someone do it, is easier than reading about it.

Hang in there, and good luck...you'll get it figured out.

Nevermind what the vent setting say (that's stupid anyway), just adjust them as needed. It's gotta be frustrating to pay that much money, for a cooker you can't control. It's obviously doable, as many other folks are having good luck. Have you tried searching for YouTube videos? Sometimes seeing someone do it, is easier than reading about it.

Hang in there, and good luck...you'll get it figured out.

My references to the vent settings are so the readers can understand more specifically what I'm doing. I use the vents as I need to. I've read and watched everything I can find on this unit and it just doesn't behave for me as it apparently behaves for some others. Now, the top vent is completely closed for the last half-hour, the lower vent is just minimally cracked open and the temp continues to climb. I'm now at 273 on my lowest thermometer and much higher on the others. I think I need the water to help control temps. This experiment didn't work and it's worse than ever without the water.

Suck you are have having so much trouble with it. One thing I've found is every kamado has hot and low spots once you get outside the coverage of the heat deflector. The WSM probably does too but I've never tested it. They temps inside will eventually level out, but it will still have a hot side over part of the defector and that's the reason why stuff can burn on the edges.

I'm thinking what might have happened is the when you opened the lid, you oxygenated the fire and all the heat came up through the front because that was the path of least resistance and before you had a chance to let it settle in, you lifted the lid, swapped the probes, and the whole thing happened again.

I don't understand why your temps are dropping. The only thing that can explain that is lack of airflow or fuel. I usually start with at least to chimney's full despite what weber recommends. That really helps. I also build my fire slightly left of center because it tends to burn towards the right. Put the lower vent on the dot (not the actual snake looking things that mean smoke...the dot is to the left of that) and don't move it (big difference for WSM) and then control the temps with the top slider only. I can not stress enough that it's super responsive to changes in the top vent...adjusting the bottom vent at any point is not helpful at all unless you need to make big temp changes.

I can totally see how frustrating it could be going form the 22.5 WSM. My WSM was by far the most stable cooker I've ever had. To me, the Summit behaves more like a kamado...which, contrary to public opinion, I did not find to be as "LOCKED IN" as the WSM was (especially for the first 5 hours.)

Once my BGE or KJBJ gets settled in it will usually stay within 5-10 degrees plus/minus and that's pretty close to what I've been seeing from my Summit...even on windy days. I was actually expecting it to more like an Acorn or Keg (great grills but the temps do bounce a little more and I would have been ok with that, but have been pleasantly surprised.) Maybe I've been lucky.

Honestly, I've not had temp issues like this. Mine did run hot the first few cooks but that corrected once the vents got gunked up. If they keep giving you these problems, I'd call weber.

I will say this. I make videos about the Summit on youtube so I've gotten this question a few times and almost every time I get this type of feedback, it's coming from a WSM guy. I think the WSM spoils us. The Summit should be plenty stable (once you figure out what's wrong in this case...which hopefully will be soon), but you are trading a little stability and capacity for versatility and range.

I hope his helps.

I don't have a WCSG so I'm not going to sit here and tell you how to overcome your temperature control problems, I do know that water isn't the answer. You should start a how to control temp thread, there are at least a half dozen people on this forum that are posting cooks and not having issues with cooking at whatever temps they want to cook at or reach out to a few people through PM's.

I wish you the best of luck in getting in getting over your problem and frustration with your new cooker.

It's normal that temperature is not uniform at the grate level. Especially if your "front" probe is placed closer to the outer rim of the grate, where higher heat comes out.

For me I don't place the meat in like you did. Instead when desired temperature is about to be reached, I set the lower vent to smoke, turn top vent to about 1/3. I waited for the temperature to stabilize and make minor adjustments. After that place the meat in.

Try going with the dome thermometer next time.

My references to the vent settings are so the readers can understand more specifically what I'm doing. I use the vents as I need to. I've read and watched everything I can find on this unit and it just doesn't behave for me as it apparently behaves for some others. Now, the top vent is completely closed for the last half-hour, the lower vent is just minimally cracked open and the temp continues to climb. I'm now at 273 on my lowest thermometer and much higher on the others. I think I need the water to help control temps. This experiment didn't work and it's worse than ever without the water.

Well then, it's possible you have an air leak somewhere...because there is no reason for the temp to rise, when you have to exhaust vent completely closed. Water is not the answer, your problems appear to be way beyond that.

Back