Wildomar boxes - Let me have it! (pics)

Day 1 Day 2

Chicken 42 11

Ribs 31 30

Pork 8 21

Brisket 22 12

On day 1 I got a comment card on my chicken legs that said, "Too Spicy. Destroyed my taste buds for the next contestant." That judge gave me a 969. Another judge gave me a 744. No comment card. Punk ass.
those boxes look real good Neil!..don't feel bad about the 4's we got a 644 also and I know of 5 other people that got 4's as well..It was the first all of us have ever gotten a 4..so some jerk was handing them out like candy.

4, I just don't get that, I mean, 4 would have to be nearly a disaster. No way any of that is a near disaster.

I think those 4's may be how the meats placed overall...not scores.:confused: Help us out here Neil...:p

Day 1 Day 2

Chicken 42nd 11th

Ribs 31st 30th

Pork 8th 21st

Brisket 22nd 12th

Is this right^^^...:confused:

I think it is very easy for a judge, CBJ or not, to give scores lower than a 6 simply because they have no need to substantiate their score. By that I mean, they don't have to explain their reasoning to the cook.

I have long held that if a judge gives a score lower than a 6, a comment card should be required from that judge. The argument against this idea has always been that if a judge is required to explain themselves, they'll simply not score lower than a 6 which will unfairly alter the true results. I think that is complete hogwash.

The teams hang it all out there every time they turn in a box and if a judge thinks it is deserving of a low score they should be able to articulate their reasoning without any difficulty. There are a myriad of valid reasons for low scores including but not limited to poor texture, over-seasoning, under-seasoning, over-smoked, etc. As Neil mentioned in one of his posts here, the comment card he received on his Day 1 Chicken entry explained that the judge thought the seasoning was "too spicy" and judged it accordingly. That straightforward comment made it very clear what that judge thought should change in order to improve the score. No drama, no disrespect, just a simple explanation for the score.

All a team really wants to know from a judge when they get a low score is "why did you think it deserved that score?" Until KCBS begins to require this simple level of accountability from the judges, don't expect many comment cards on those low scores.

And that's a real shame for all parties involved.

I think it is very easy for a judge, CBJ or not, to give scores lower than a 6 simply because they have no need to substantiate their score. By that I mean, they don't have to explain their reasoning to the cook.

I have long held that if a judge gives a score lower than a 6, a comment card should be required from that judge. The argument against this idea has always been that if a judge is required to explain themselves, they'll simply not score lower than a 6 which will unfairly alter the true results. I think that is complete hogwash.

The teams hang it all out there every time they turn in a box and if a judge thinks it is deserving of a low score they should be able to articulate their reasoning without any difficulty. There are a myriad of valid reasons for low scores including but not limited to poor texture, over-seasoning, under-seasoning, over-smoked, etc. As Neil mentioned in one of his posts here, the comment card he received on his Day 1 Chicken entry explained that the judge thought the seasoning was "too spicy" and judged it accordingly. That straightforward comment made it very clear what that judge thought should change in order to improve the score. No drama, no disrespect, just a simple explanation for the score.

All a team really wants to know from a judge when they get a low score is "why did you think it deserved that score?" Until KCBS begins to require this simple level of accountability from the judges, don't expect many comment cards on those low scores.

And that's a real shame for all parties involved.
Exactly!..just like Alexa had mentioned it only takes a one word answer,salty,spicy,overcooked..what ever it is that turned them off,it only takes a second to write that down but it takes us a lot longer than that to get that box ready for turn in,without that one comment it then leaves us wondering what was so wrong to deserve a 4?

From top to bottom on your photos.

Chicken & Ribs look great, prefect amount of sauce from a apperance perspective, no idea on taste. Pork looks slightly over sauced. Brisket should have been trimmed to fit box.

To much sauce on Chicken & Ribs day 2, pork looks dryer, could be a bad perception on my part, better cuts on brisket day two!

Back