Wild Cherry as good for smoking as regular cherry?

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Terry
I noticed that one of the wild cherry trees at the back of my property hasn't blossomed, while the others have.
Assuming the worst, I have a new supply of smoker wood, at least.
Does anyone know if the characteristics of wild cherry are the same as "domestic" cherry?

TIA!

There are several species of native cherry that grow wild in various parts of North America. I frequently smoke with black cherry (Prunus serotina). It has a wonderful aroma and gives the meat a fantastic color.

I've never had the chance to try any other native species of cherry, but I imagine they all would be good.

Wild cherry pretty much the same as sweet cherry. Be sure it is fully cured otherwise it will put off a bitter flavor.

IMHO, pay attention if you'll use a chainsaw
the oil that lubricates the chain is doesn't release a pleasurable smell to the meat inside the BBQ...

I used this and it was a mistake. Too sweet and melted all over my kettle. Although might be good for pork.

picture.php

:mrgreen:

the oil that lubricates the chain is doesn't release a pleasurable smell to the meat inside the BBQ...

That much bar and chain oil shouldn't be on the wood after you cut it. You can use canola oil or other plant based oil if you're paranoid. Most oil lost ends up in the sawdust, not on the wood.

Thanks for the replies all.

KMM, it will need to season as I'm pretty sure it was living last year. It is hidden enough that it could have been dead, but I've got enough oak and apple to last me this year.

mbt, I've always used a chainsaw and never noticed any issues from the oil. The end sections of the splits are pretty small compared to the volume of wood.

Johnny, Sorry those didn't work for you. Maybe make a glaze with them next time? :laugh:

JW, Agreed, most of the oil will be in the sawdust or the ground.

Grain Belt, I thought about tying that song into the thread title! :thumb:

House Doc, Aren't ALL cherry trees the white flowering kind?? :confused:

My FIL recently had his Sakura Cherry Blossom tree cut down and he offered it to me for my fire pit. Now I’m wondering if I can use it for the smoker? Has anyone used Sakura Cherry Blossom wood to smoke with?

My FIL recently had his Sakura Cherry Blossom tree cut down and he offered it to me for my fire pit. Now I’m wondering if I can use it for the smoker? Has anyone used Sakura Cherry Blossom wood to smoke with?

Never used it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be as good as any other cherry species. They're all closely related, in the genus Prunus, and they are in the same family as most other non-citrus fruit woods that are used for smoking (rose family). Just make sure it's seasoned and it should be fine.

Regarding the white flower thing - most native cherry species in North America have white flowers. The pink flowering cherries are non-native cultivars; the flower color was developed through selective breeding. All should be fine for cooking/smoking when properly seasoned.

I have some cherry trees in my yard that get black cherry berries but don't flower all over like some. The flowering type I am speaking of are very weak and break during wind storms.

I have some cherry trees in my yard that get black cherry berries but don't flower all over like some. The flowering type I am speaking of are very weak and break during wind storms.

Sounds like it might be black cherry, but I can't tell without seeing a picture.

We have a lot of wild "choke" cherry here, small blackish cherries in loose bunches, bitter as sin...I use a lot of this, also used dead branches from a weeping flowering cherry, it all seems the same to me

if you use wood to cook with it will halve bar oil on it maybe if you pour it on the wood you may taste it or smell it but bar oil is far to exspensive to waste that way domestic cherry has a wonderfull taste and aroma i use a large amount of wild cherry my neighbor has around 800 tillable acres on one farm and400 acres on the other he has a deg. forestry and select cuts trees,he also loves to play with his cain saw i realy could kick myself in the a$$ i got about a half a truck load of domestic cherry used most to heat house

Back