Whole Pork Butt - 18lbs

rdjennin

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
I picked up a whole Pork Butt at 18lbs on special at the local IGA. Never cooked anything this big before, any idea from anyone out there that's cooked something like this before how much time I should figure? Was thinking since this is basically like two 9-lbers connected end on end it shouldn't take but just a little longer than that?

I picked up a whole Pork Butt at 18lbs on special at the local IGA. Never cooked anything this big before, any idea from anyone out there that's cooked something like this before how much time I should figure? Was thinking since this is basically like two 9-lbers connected end on end it shouldn't take but just a little longer than that?

That’s a whole shoulder if its 18lbs. Cook in about 12-14 hours at 275. 18-20 hours at 225

Last edited:
If you have a whole shoulder, count your blessings as it will be better than a butt and picnic separately. I would inject it and plan on at least a 20 hour smoke time. Maybe you have a twin-pack with two nine pound butts. But if not, here is what you can expect to deal with. Whole shoulders on top row, butts and picnic on lower row.

7rIKA.jpg

Ya sure it's only one piece in there? I'm betting it's two 9lbers. in the cryovac.

I recently smoked a 17lb shoulder from one of my duroc hogs. It was as tender and delicious as can be. :grin:

Back