Pulled pork taco suggestions

Meatsweat Mike

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Mike
Hey all! I’m planning on whipping up some smoked pulled pork tacos (carnita-esque but don’t want to offend anyone by calling them carnitas haha) for a friend’s birthday this weekend. Does anyone have any go to recipes they like for this? In the past I’ve just used my standard pulled pork and reheated it in some additional spices but am thinking of using some type of Mexican inspired rub, maybe even braising it after a few hours in smoke. I’d smoke the butt tomorrow night then reheat it on a camp stove tailgating at the ski resort the following afternoon. Thoughts?!

Thanks for the suggestions! I may see if I can pick up that rub and try your recipe, jbounds286. It seems a little less time intensive… I’ve also bookmarked smokeOCD’s because that looks great!!

I've done it maybe 4-5 times since last August when I started using the recipe.
1st time is the slowest because it's all new to you...

5c3c351a-4c4a-4a44-a9d4-4711f8afed2e-jpeg.17288

Last edited:
Note to self: ask SmokeOCD for his address.

Mike, like OCD mentions about the mexican grocer, we are blessed here in Chicago to have so many ethnic representations. Even in the "standard" grocers, there is usually an aisle or two that will be dedicated to Mexican/Asian/Indian etc tastes.

I have no problem finding either packets or jars of "Carnitas Seasoning" even in the standard neighborhood grocers.

Of course, fresh like OCD makes is the way to go, but SLC Utah might be a struggle to locate items, maybe not.

Wife is doing a bit of Keto, and the Siete brand isn't bad. Nor is the Frontera brand from Rick Bayless.

I will take a pack of vacusuck pulled pork from previous, thaw, add the amount of seasonings needed, let it sit overnight, then flash heat/crisp on the Blackstone.

Carnita's heaven.

Good luck with the experiments, they only end with you eating!!!

Prob not what you're looking for but I use Rick Steves cochinita pibil recipe plus one or two habanero chilis. Crockpot and shred. Add a tiny bit of pineapple.

Really good. :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, turned out great! Went with the meat church recipe and will definitely do it again. Rub was a little salty on its own but didn’t notice it on the pork..posted a few pics from the night before then reheating/crisping it the next day. Was planning on doing this up at the mountain but they didn’t open the canyon until later in the day

We actually do have a Mexican grocery store right down the street from us, so I don’t think I’d have any difficulty getting the ingredients.

Attachments

• 5522D572-8A01-455F-A52F-B70954FB2D79.jpg
    5522D572-8A01-455F-A52F-B70954FB2D79.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 86
  • 4D888E0C-CC27-4338-AFE8-3629CE6FD154.jpg
    4D888E0C-CC27-4338-AFE8-3629CE6FD154.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 8C6934E4-6965-4018-83F4-B06219986B3B.jpg
    8C6934E4-6965-4018-83F4-B06219986B3B.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, turned out great! Went with the meat church recipe and will definitely do it again. Rub was a little salty on its own but didn’t notice it on the pork..

that it is, but i think on something like a butt the saltiness goes really well! glad it turned out well for you!

I didn't see this post in time but I definitely have an awesome Mexican pulled pork recipe. It uses 4 dried guajillo peppers and a few dried chiles de arbol and a couple ounces of Mexican chocolate as well as some spices. And I won't try to sell you anybody's commercial rub product either!

Here goes:

First, the marinade/braising sauce:

Adobo Sauce

4 guajillo chiles stems & seeds removed
2 chiles de arbol (grown in Yahualica, Jalisco)
2 cloves of garlic
1-2 cubic inches of fresh ginger, peeled

Toast but do not burn
oregano
thyme
cumin seed
1" of stick cinnamon
4 whole cloves (just the berries, remove the stems!)
sesame seeds

Toast the chiles to a light char. Then add to pan along with water, garlic cloves and chunks of ginger. Simmer to rehydrate chiles.

Add toasted spices and chiles to a blender along with 1 cup chile water. Add
2 ounces Mexican chocolate, chopped fine

Puree adobo sauce until completely smooth. Pour sauce into a bowl and let cool completely.

Here's how I prepare the meat.

Tatemado de Puerco
(tatemado means put next to a fire and *almost* get burned)

2 lbs pork, cut into 2" cubes (butt, boneless ribs ..)
1 tablespoon salt
1/3 cup vinegar

Add salt and vinegar to pork. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Then add 1 recipe cooled adobo sauce (see above) again cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
Then remove to oven pan, ensuring all sauce is transferred.

Roast covered 2 hours in 375°F oven (or longer in a smoker depending on cooking temperature), then uncover and roast another 30-60 minutes. The meat should be slightly crusty and entirely falling apart.
Remove from oven and shred meat, combining with any remaining liquid.

The resulting meat is amazing! I haven't actually done it up in tacos but I have done it as sandwich meat in fresh bolillo rolls and also as a filling for tamales. If I were going to serve it as taco meat I'd also serve

homemade refried beans
crumbled queso fresco cheese
sliced cocktail jalapenos
Mexican crema (like creme fraiche, sour cream only more liquid)
avocado
chopped cilantro
minced white onion

You have to take it easy on the cinnamon and cloves because they can overpower a recipe being very strong flavors. Go for just a hint. Same with the chocolate - it shouldn't taste chocolatey but there should be a definite chocolate lilt to the flavor profile.

Here's a Mexican factoid: people from the city of Puebla are called "poblanos".

seattlepitboss
who spends winters in Mexico

Back