Whole Hog Part Deux - MASSIVE PR0N

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
I know there are more than one way to skin a cat because of the common saying, not from personal experience. As for skinning a pig, I don’t know if there are multiple ways to do it, but this is how I did it and the result was a pig that was head and shoulders better than the one we did last year. The problem with doing a whole hog without skinning it is that you can’t put any rub or sauce on the skin as the skin is pretty much inedible. It’s tough and leathery. They call a football a pigskin for a reason. It’s made from the skin of a pig. As my mentor on skinning a pig, and Whole Hog Winner at Memphis in May, Skip Steele (owner of Bogart’s) said, “It’s like trying to get smoke flavor inside a football. It just doesn’t work.”

So I skinned it this time. So what does skinning the pig gain me? It’s not an easy process the first time. Skip was done in 20 minutes including the time it took to give me tips and advice. It took me a lot longer. Is it worth it? Yes. By skinning the pig, I can season and rub the outside as well as hit it with some sauce, not to mention allow the smoke to penetrate. All of which made this pig infinitely better than the last one.

Words of warning – The quickness with which you get this done is directly proportionate to the sharpness of your knives. I had my Shun chef and santoku knives sharpened professionally right before I did this, not using them for anything before I sliced into the pig and as you see below, I had to switch from one knife to another about 2/3 of the way through and should’ve done so earlier. Don’t expect this to take less than an hour with a dull knife.
I made my first incision along the edge of the stomach from foreleg to hind:
Whole-Hog-2012-018.jpg
The First Cut

From there I pulled the skin back and made small swipes with the tip of the knife where the meat connects to meat and fat, pulling the skin as I go to separate it from the pig:
Whole-Hog-2012-025.jpg
Skinning along the Ham or Rear Leg
As you can see, I left the skin on the stomach. That’s by design. It helps to insulate the meat from the fire and no one sees it anyway, so save the time.
At the legs, in this case a back leg, cut a ring around the ankle and a slit up to the cut made along the stomach and repeat the process of pulling the skin back while slicing at where it connects to the pig:
Whole-Hog-2012-030.jpg
Skinning the Ham
Do the same thing for the front leg:
Whole-Hog-2012-054.jpg
Skinning up the Foreleg
Notice that I’m working on one side and not the other. That’s by design as well. It’s much easier to skin from one side or the other rather than from front to back or back to front.
At this point, I rolled Josephine back onto her stomach to a slice around her neck like I did to the ankles:
Whole-Hog-2012-059.jpg
Once the legs on one side and neck are done, it's pretty easy

Once the legs on one side and the neck are done, things move a lot quicker:
Whole-Hog-2012-038.jpg
Working Along the Back is Easy
Whole-Hog-2012-056.jpg
Moving Now!
Now flip it over and repeat on the other side.

After I carved up the side, I finished up along the back and using my santoku now because my chef knife was already dull at the tip:
Whole-Hog-2012-067.jpg
Finishing Up
And here’s the skin:
Whole-Hog-2012-075.jpg
Can I Make a Football out of this?
Now onto another trick Skip taught me to keep the pig’s back from caving in once the connective tissue has broken down and the meat is pulled pork. These are two empty 7 pound cans of beans with the labels taken off shoved into the cavity:
Whole-Hog-2012-080.jpg
Filling the Cavity
And if you’re wondering about the shirt. It says, “Got Wine?” I feel like there is an S missing from there.
Now time to prep the fire. Most people, including Skip, do whole hog for upwards of 12 hours. I don’t have that kind of time and I’m a big believer in simplifying things and going with the high heat method of smoking at ranges of 300 all the way up to 350.
First, put 60 pounds of charcoal under where the shoulders of the pig will be and forty under the hams and, I hate to say it, use lighter fluid to get it started. There isn’t a charcoal chimney big enough for 100 pounds of charcoal:

Whole-Hog-2012-051.jpg
Flame On!
We hate lighter fluid, and don’t use it very often and when we did on Memorial weekend, we didn’t use enough. By the time the pig was ready to go on the grill, the fire wasn’t hot, so we had to improvise. My dad is great at improvisation. He saw the fan that my BiL Kevin brought to keep us cool while the pig cooked and thought, what better way to get the fire ramped up and burn off all the lighter fluid:
Whole-Hog-2012-070.jpg
Gotta Love My Dad!
Now back to the pig. You didn’t think we were going to put a pig right on top of 100 pounds of ripping hot charcoal did you? Well, yes we did, but not until we insulated the pig with some aluminum foil:

Whole-Hog-2012-093.jpg
Make sure to cover the whole thing
Whole-Hog-2012-094.jpg
Fully Foiled
Make sure that there are no holes in the foil whatsoever. The pig has some pretty sharp nails and easily poke holes in the foil which that will be like having a blow torch where the hole is.
Now on to making the pig pretty for the grill. A little pillow to prop the head up and some foil around the ears to make them stick out:
Whole-Hog-2012-101.jpg
Is it just me, or does the pig look like it’s getting a spa treatment?
Now time to season and rub the pig. First, a heavy coat of coarse salt:
Whole-Hog-2012-108.jpg
Coarse Salt

Make sure to get the sides

Now hit it with your favorite rub. The one I’m using here has no salt in it, so I salted first
Whole-Hog-2012-119.jpg
Laying it on Thick
Whole-Hog-2012-128.jpg
Finishing Up the Side

Josephine on the grill:
Whole-Hog-2012-140.jpg
On the Grill
Here I am next to the grill and want to show you one of two problems we had with this pig roast:
Whole-Hog-2012-145.jpg
What’s Wrong?
When we positioned the charcoal in the grill, we did so with the expectation that the pig would be closer to the left side of the grill. But after it was skinned, the pig wound up more to the right, so the 60 pounds of charcoal is under the pigs snout and the forty is under the stomach.
The second problem was that we used the same size can in the cavity of the pig that was only 66% the size of the pig Skip showed me how to skin. I’ll show you why that was a problem in a few pictures. Neither of these problems were anything to worry about based on the results, but I wanted to address them.
Before we set the grill grate down, we dropped in about 20 pounds of hickory and peach wood and after we closed the lid, we got a nice amount of smoke:
Whole-Hog-2012-158.jpg
Can You Smell the Smoke?
We also smoked some beans which were simply Bush’s Baked Beans (not the grilled ones because we did that ourselves). Nothing all that complicated. 7 pounds of beans per tray, a cup of brown sugar, half cup minced garlic, quarter cup of the rub (basically what I had left from slathering the pig) quarter cup of honey all mixed together and then one inch squares of bacon positioned around the top:
Whole-Hog-2012-159.jpg
Kicked Up Beans
Whole-Hog-2012-166.jpg
With Bacon on Top
Now back to the pig, 2.5 hours later, here’s Josephine with a lovely tan:
Whole-Hog-2012-169.jpg
2.5 Hours In

Whole-Hog-2012-172.jpg
From the Back

Without the skin, I worried that the meat would dry out more quickly than with, so I hit it with a spritz of apple juice before adding more smoke wood:
Whole-Hog-2012-176.jpg
Taking an Apple Juice Shower

At the four hour mark, it was time to make up some BBQ sauce. All I did was take most of a gallon of Sweet Baby Ray’s, add some brown sugar, garlic, honey and beer (oh and I changed into my Luau garb since that was the theme of the party, and yes that’s the same Hawaiian shirt from last year. I only own one.), and you can see the beans are in the back and have been on for about an hour:
Whole-Hog-2012-180.jpg
Making the Sauce

At the four hour mark, we decided to hit the pig with some sauce:
Whole-Hog-2012-196.jpg
Dad in his King of the Grill Shirt

Whole-Hog-2012-189.jpg
Mmmmmm, Ooohy, Gooey Sauce

Wait, what is that in the above picture below the mop on the right? It was the other problem we had:
Whole-Hog-2012-191.jpg
Robo-Pig!

It would seem we need a little smaller can for a pig this size. Those cans work well for a 120 pound pig, but an 80 pound pig is not big enough. It’s not great for presentation, but I’m not putting a dress and make up on this pig, I’m going to eat it.
We added more smoke wood as well.
Here we are 5 hours in:
Whole-Hog-2012-221.jpg
Five Hour Mark

We added more smoke wood. Not because the meat will take any more smoke on at this time, but the sauce on the outside will absorb it.
At the six hour mark, we were getting close to our target temp of 160 in the shoulder:
Whole-Hog-2012-230.jpg
151 degrees, only 9 to go

We moved the beans over on top of the heat to get them going at the six hour mark:
Whole-Hog-2012-235.jpg
Six Hour Mark

The hole on the side of the pig had opened even farther:
Whole-Hog-2012-233.jpg
The Hole is Getting Bigger

Here we are at seven hours:
Whole-Hog-2012-274.jpg
The Seven Hour Mark

And the temp was sitting at 159. My goal was 160, but time to pull it and let it rest. It will continue to cook while it rests:
Whole-Hog-2012-277.jpg
Off the Grill

Josephine chillaxin’:
Whole-Hog-2012-312.jpg
Chillin'

Thanks Emily for letting me borrow the glasses and for taking a bunch of pictures:
Whole-Hog-2012-318.jpg
My Sister in Law

That handsome fella behind her is the one and only Joe Bonwich of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. Seeing how he is a restaurant critic, he doesn’t like for people to know what he looks like so he doesn’t get preferential treatment and can make an honest assessment of an eating establishment, but he allowed me to use that pic plus one more of him straight on so you can really get an idea of what the man looks like. See below for a GrillinFools exclusive:
Whole-Hog-2012-321.jpg
Joe Bonwich of the Post Dispatch

After a good 45 minutes of resting, time to don the gloves and get to work on pulling the pork from the pig:
Whole-Hog-2012-325.jpg
Dad looks like a demented proctologist - Okay, bend over!

Whole-Hog-2012-329.jpg
Yes, we look way too excited to be yanking meat off a carcass

Time to get to work:
Whole-Hog-2012-335.jpg
Tenderloin Anyone?

Examining the pork and a little quality control or pitmaster’s prerogative, take your pick:
Whole-Hog-2012-353.jpg
What do you think dad?

Whole-Hog-2012-354.jpg
Dad: Only one way to find out...

Enjoy a sample, Carol

And I have to take care of the whomever is behind the camera while we work:
Whole-Hog-2012-486.jpg
Want a bite?

A close up of the beans:
Whole-Hog-2012-572.jpg
Smoked Beans are so much better than Baked

But what about the pig? Was it any good? Was it better than last year? This picture sort of sums it up:
Whole-Hog-2012-546.jpg
Part of the rear haunch

Why is that picture significant? Because it shows how juicy the meat is, the slight smoke ring around the outer edge, along with the rub and sauce on the outside that all contribute to the flavor. That and all of these people were extremely happy with the pig:
Whole-Hog-2012-639.jpg
Happy Pig Eaters

They were so happy, this was all that was left, forgive the lousy picture. It was from my phone:
Pigapalooza-Aftermath-600x337.jpg
The Aftermath of Pigapalooza

So, when all is said and done, are there any things we could do to improve the process?
1) We would make sure the pig is positioned properly over the coals. The meat in the rear haunches was not as tender as the shoulders. It was delicious and wasn’t tough, it just wasn’t pulled pork tender.
2) We will not use cans that big or get a bigger pig. Either way, I don’t want the side splitting open again. It didn’t impact the flavor, but it did impact presentation.

All in all, it was a highly successful pig roast.

Skinning the pig added 40 minutes of prep to the process, but it shortened the cooking time by about an hour and it made the pig so much better than the one we did last year.

You can follow the Grillin Fools on Facebook and post your own grillin pictures or on Twitter @GrillinFool.

Nice write up brother, looks like everyone had a great time too. I love the skinned pig, that thing looks fantastic. :thumb:

What a great post. Looks like a great day of fun, and that's what it is all about. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! That is an awesome write-up and post! Thanks for taking the time to document it in such detail!

I like the idea of skinning the pig. I guess you could re-apply the skin after seasoning the pig for the cooking process.

It was an outstanding time, and honestly, extremely easy. I had about an hour of prep than I just checked it every hour or so...

Back