Whiskey Marinated Steaks

patrickd26

Full Fledged Farker
Does anyone have a good whiskey marinade for steaks?

I've been playing with a 50/50 mixture of low-sodium soy sauce and Jack Daniels. I think I'm onto something. Wondering if there's something better.

Happy Friday, and greetings from Nebraska.

Interesting.

Personally, I really dislike JD, could have something to do with an overindulgence in an earlier life, but I would think that a corn based whiskey would be a bit sweet for beef.
A barley based whiskey, maybe?
I dunno.
Definitely NOT a whiskey expert, here.
I do enjoy a nice bourbon now and then

Hmm.
It's now! Better have a bourbon.

I would think 50/50 is way to much but I could be wrong. I will sometimes mix a shot of whisky with teriyaki for chicken or steak when marinating for several hours or overnight.

JMO but you don't wanna taste the whisky in your meat, but it is good for tenderizing and marinating.

Tried a whiskey marinade a few times, just over powered the meat. Haven't bothered to try again, I'll give it a light smoke every now and then before a good sear.

Only time I’ve used whiskey for any BBQ cook, it’s been Maker’s Mark. Both as a Marinade & BBQ sauce. Delicious. Can’t remember exactly what else I mixed in, but could probably look it up online with a search - I think it’s fairly popular.

I prefer to marinate myself (partake of) whiskey while I grill a steak.Enjoying a dram with the meal isn’t bad either. Just sayin. I normally only salt a piece of good steak meat before grilling.Enhancers are better reserved for after the steak is cooked.Just my preference.

I remember trying a whiskey marinated steak at the old Steak and Ale. It was the absolute worst steak I've ever tried to eat. Both tough and terrible tasting. Maybe the steak, maybe the marinade, maybe the cook, or maybe a combination of all three but because of it I'll never try a whiskey marinade for steak again.

if you dont wanna spend the $$ on Maker's try Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (white label), this stuff is TOP NOTCH bargain. I love good bourbon and have several pricey bottles on hand, the EW BiB is my daily driver. solid stuff, usually about 15-17 per btl and better than a lot of bottles that double it's price. I agree with the others that adding a splash is all that needed, I wouldn't bother with a full whiskey marinade, would over power.

if you dont wanna spend the $$ on Maker's try Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (white label), this stuff is TOP NOTCH bargain.
You mean this stuff? Agreed. :wink:

O2A05TJl.jpg

Jack Daniels though 'labelled' Tennessee Whiskey is a bourbon which means that the mash must be at least 51% corn. Its actual grain bill is 80% corn, 12% barley, and 8% rye. The label is just a marketing effort to differentiate JD.

Family favorite of ours. Not a ton of booze.

Cpt. Penfold’s Marinade Sauce
1 cup soy sauce
1 TBSP ground ginger
1 tsp dry mustard 1 tsp sugar
3 buds garlic, smashed
1 jigger bourbon/gin (1 ½ oz)
Mix all ingredients together. Marinate steak for hours. Grill, adding more
sauce as needed. I boil the unused sauce and serve with the steak.
I also use Jim Beam Bourbon.

The Captain was someone in the service with my dad. This dates back to 1950-60's time frame as I remember it in the 1960's.

You mean this stuff? Agreed. :wink:

O2A05TJl.jpg

That or Rebel yell is my go to bourbon flavored cookin.
I tried hard to come up with a bourbon street marinade using mainly bourbon. Ended with a nice spicy marinade and a mop/spray of bourbon while cookin.

Maybe keep the whiskey out of the marinade and flambe in a CI pan instead. Just a thought.

Back