Where do you get ribs from?

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Where do you get good ribs?

For big cooks I always get cases of spare ribs from Sam’s wholesale and besides the silver skin they are always trimmed well and ready to go in the smoker without much prep. In addition they aren’t injected with solution.

For home I would usually pickup a couple ribs from the supermarket, but since this spring it is slim pickings and the ribs I have bought looks like they were trimmed in house and they weren’t trimmed well and had tons of fat.

Today I tried Smithfield St. Louis cut from Walmart, and they weren’t trimmed that well and had extra meat flaps that I never saw come on a rib before and were loaded with fat. If you saw the meat and fat I had to trim you would think I was trimming a brisket. On top of that they had a solution which I never like. I cooked them at 225°f to toothpick tender (about 5 hours) ,which has been my go to method for decades, and even though they were tender and Smokey the brine gave it a slightly mushy bite that I really don’t like.

Looks like Sam’s is the only place I will buy ribs for a while.

Where do you get good ribs?
Today I tried Smithfield St. Louis cut from Walmart, and they weren’t trimmed that well and had extra meat flaps that I never saw come on a rib before and were loaded with fat. ...

I'm not sure where Wally World gets their butchers from, but I'm pretty familiar with the anatomy and standard processing of beef and I see things from them that is new to me. And that hamburger meat...

I think they source their pork from third parties for the most part, but it looks like they require them to meet the Wally World standard, or is that sub-standard?

Thankfully I get most of mine from a pretty responsible supplier... me.

I used to buy mine from Gordon Food Service. They were in the fresh meat section, and always very consistent. Lately, they have been in the frozen area and very inconsistent. I'm not sure if this a temporary Covid move, or if they are no longer carrying them in the fresh area.

The Smithfield ET's were my usual go-to, but since the Covid shortages were resupplied, I agree that the trimming job from the processor is horrible. I haven't used Sam's Club ribs in quite a while, but I will give them a go soon

The Smithfield ET's were my usual go-to, but since the Covid shortages were resupplied, I agree that the trimming job from the processor is horrible. I haven't used Sam's Club ribs in quite a while, but I will give them a go soon

I haven’t been in Sam’s since covid started. Hopefully covid hasn’t affected their ribs.

Well, Sam's doesn't have control over the producer, and the two-pack of spares was better in the past than now. Frankly, I look for single cryo-packed ribs and will buy a full slab if I don't like the looks of the the STL racks because cutting them down is easy. Here is a recent example, left is fresh out of the cryo SLT rack. Right is after some trimming.

cibOfLv.jpg

Well, Sam's doesn't have control over the producer, and the two-pack of spares was better in the past than now. Frankly, I look for single cryo-packed ribs and will buy a full slab if I don't like the looks of the the STL racks because cutting them down is easy. Here is a recent example, left is fresh out of the cryo SLT rack. Right is after some trimming.

cibOfLv.jpg

That stinks! I’ll probably stay away from ribs until this is all over.

I used to do Sam's because they carried IBP. Now not so much due to some no name branding and 1 good rack out of a 3 pack. Our local Meijer carries IBP a lot but, some other no name too. I am done with the no name. Had BB Backs take 8 hours until tender. Like the wife said, something just doesn't seem right.

I used to do Sam's because they carried IBP. Now not so much due to some no name branding and 1 good rack out of a 3 pack. Our local Meijer carries IBP a lot but, some other no name too. I am done with the no name. Had BB Backs take 8 hours until tender. Like the wife said, something just doesn't seem right.

A few weeks ago I had the same thing happen with ribs taking over 7 hours to become tender and that was from a local butcher.

I’m going to see who has IBP in my area.

Back