When Chili Was Invented

We live in the Midwest. There was a KCBS backyard double event - in addition they had a chili competition judged by KCBS judges. They allowed 2 entries per team. In hindsight - we competed against a few professional chefs and 2 teams with cooks who competed and earned top 10 in the world food championship....

We submitted 2 entries - 22 teams participants - we were 4th and 1st place. Both entries had beans. Took home the money, bragging rights, and the trophy.

Texas - get over it - chili has beans and it tastes better. Doesn't matter what Matt Pittman says.

I think chili is one of those emotional dishes. My Dad's chili was pretty consistent. Beans or no beans just depended on if we had leftover beans. Moms chili had a few leftover veggies, a càn of Rotel. It was a fun dish as when we had soups, stews and chili we each got our own sleeve of crackers.
My Grandad's chili he always boiled his burger and rinsed it a couple times. The texture of the meat and he always floated a jalapeno in the pot while simmering.
Me?? I like to MSU. I'm in no way constrained to one method. The pot I fix for myself is much spicier than when I'm sharing with The Bride..it's easy enough to heat things with sauces. The only complaint The Bride ever expresses is "needs more salt". Not just chili but pretty much everything. She can shake it on hers like I do scorpion on mine :))
Said before, I'm a fresh pepper picker for chili. Always buy more peppers than needed for each planned batch. Also said before, I taste test each variety before deciding which and how many to cut up and add to the pot.

Made my base recipe for parties and camping with family friends. Sometimes a lot of kids so kept the batches fairly mild. The overbought, then seeded, hotter peppers took a ride through the food processor to keep in a container on the side to serve as a condiment. Those with higher tolerance to heat appreciated that even though they weren't cooked into the chili. Fresh, no need for bottled sauce to heat it up.

No pics but the food processor blend of various fresh peppers is visually beautiful for the blend of colors. Add the custom condiment to chili at your own risk :twisted:

Back