When Chili Was Invented

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
.....there were no cows nearby. Chile with meat the meat was deer, elk, cat, dog, goat, rabbit, etc etc. Somehow the focus turned to beans. First Americans were here for over 12000 years. Meat, Chile, wild onions and if lucky, honey. Honey and venison was a big deal. Corn , beans and squash and whatever meat available. The Three Sisters were a big deal. Real chili. So don't get hung up on my beans. Someday with nothing better to do try corn, beans and squash with meat, for dessert have a tablespoon of honey. You'll be full quite a while.

Any way, friend gifted me Venison Burger from a Please River white Tail, maybe Wichita. Yes, I put beans in it. It's in my DNA. Plus I was born in Oklahoma and chili beans are legal there.

cowgirl Tequila Protocol followed

Last edited:
Heck.. I made a pot of venison chili today too! :grin:
Yours looks great!

Adams, where’d you get that dynamite chili fixin at?

I bought some in the Hill country a couple years ago…good stuff.

Yer chili looks good.

Venison chili is awesome. Haven't made in years. Nothing wrong with beans.

Skip the Dynamite or whatever pre-mix. Throw in a variety of fresh peppers...don't sautee them. Just throw them in the pot raw...they keep a little crunch that way (same with onions and garlic).

After reading many chili threads here now consider it my mission on this board to get someone(s) to try using fresh peppers in chili. They're Great!!!

Venison chili is awesome. Haven't made in years. Nothing wrong with beans.

Skip the Dynamite or whatever pre-mix. Throw in a variety of fresh peppers...don't sautee them. Just throw them in the pot raw...they keep a little crunch that way (same with onions and garlic).

After reading many chili threads here now consider it my mission on this board to get someone(s) to try using fresh peppers in chili. They're Great!!!

I use fresh peppers. Usually a mix of jalapeno, orange/yellow bell, and poblano peppers.

I use fresh peppers. Usually a mix of jalapeno, orange/yellow bell, and poblano peppers.
Bells are good for color but I don't use them. They don't add enough flavor or heat. Have to find the right balance of peppers available at the store when making chili. No two batches are the same.

Got a bowl of venison chili in the fridge right now

I've put corn in chili before but I dont know why, I think I was just poor and trying to stretch it

Never gonna challenge you on Chili Adams!

Texas can please itself without the beans.

Your ancestors ate well.

Cheers!

Bill

Nicely done Adams. Love a good bowl of Chili. Have 2 bags in the freezer. Would like to try Venison Chili sometime. I use two use a burger and cut up chuck that I browned in my chili but Kay does not like the chuck. We do like beans in ours

What is more Chili to the Chili purists out there? , Chili with loads of peppers ( chile and bell ) chunks of tomatoes ( stewed in this case )

Or your basic chili with onions, maybe some diced tomatoes and beans?

Serious question where the scales turn. Pic for reference: No beans in this.
20230110-193756.jpg

So, now this is the end product with one can of small red beans.

20230110-204940.jpg

Btw, this batch is killer. I used a 12 oz bottle of a local brew
Yuengling Hershey’s Chocolate Porter

Last edited:
I think chili is one of those emotional dishes. My Dad's chili was pretty consistent. Beans or no beans just depended on if we had leftover beans. Moms chili had a few leftover veggies, a càn of Rotel. It was a fun dish as when we had soups, stews and chili we each got our own sleeve of crackers.
My Grandad's chili he always boiled his burger and rinsed it a couple times. The texture of the meat and he always floated a jalapeno in the pot while simmering.
Me?? I like to MSU. I'm in no way constrained to one method. The pot I fix for myself is much spicier than when I'm sharing with The Bride..it's easy enough to heat things with sauces. The only complaint The Bride ever expresses is "needs more salt". Not just chili but pretty much everything. She can shake it on hers like I do scorpion on mine :))

I think chili is one of those emotional dishes. My Dad's chili was pretty consistent. Beans or no beans just depended on if we had leftover beans. Moms chili had a few leftover veggies, a càn of Rotel. It was a fun dish as when we had soups, stews and chili we each got our own sleeve of crackers.
My Grandad's chili he always boiled his burger and rinsed it a couple times. The texture of the meat and he always floated a jalapeno in the pot while simmering.
Me?? I like to MSU. I'm in no way constrained to one method. The pot I fix for myself is much spicier than when I'm sharing with The Bride..it's easy enough to heat things with sauces. The only complaint The Bride ever expresses is "needs more salt". Not just chili but pretty much everything. She can shake it on hers like I do scorpion on mine :))

My "wife" hates beans. Ironically she was born in PA but grew up in FL, si no reason to hate beans. She just hates the texture. She loves my chili, but picks out the beans, lol.

Back