What type of container for brining turkey?

why not use one of the oven roasting bags for turkeys found at every grocery store right now? That's what I was planning on doing. Put the bird in the bag, fill the bag with brine, get the air out and tie it up. Put the bag/bird in a 5 gallone bucket with ice water and put it in the garage.

Any reason that won't work?

I used to use two food grade 22 qt buckets from smart and final lined with brining bags but they didn't fit in the fridge in the garage very well. Now like Wampus and Shagdog I use The Briner and can fit 2 side by side in the same fridge if one is placed slightly higher than the other. The internal discs are pretty nice for keeping your meat submerged, I have two butt hams curing in one right now.

Another advantage of using a cooler is that, with some ice to keep things below 40 degrees, it doesn't require frig space. In colder regions, you can leave it outside.

Usually at Thanksgiving, we trek up north to see some friends in San Angelo, TX. I bought an orange HD bucket and took it up there the first time. We label the bucket and the family knows not to use it for anything else but brining turkeys. They used it one time, and subsequently went and bought a replacement. I scrub the bucket out and then give it a bleach water bath. Been brining in a bucket like that for at least 10 years. No one died yet.

It's usually cold enough that I can add the bird, the brine, and some ice, throw the lid on it, and put it out in the garage. Stays cold all night long.

my 30 lb. turkeys would'nt fit a 5 gal. bucket. I have a large Stainless steel sink in my mancave I brine in overnight w/ice.

Yeah I've gone to the Bakery and gotten food grade buckets, used Cambro containers, Rubbermade drink coolers and ice chests weighted down with bags of ice, and yeah they all work, but then I found The Briner! I've got both sizes and use them all the time and will never look back. You can soak two 12 lb Turkeys or five 5lb chickens in the Large.

IMG_5905.jpg

I use the small for chitloads of thighs, legs and wings or single birds and it fits in the refer without juggling shelves.

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

Another thing you can do with them after brining and you want to air dry birds, raise the
lock and set the bird on top of it and let dry in the refer.

IMG_1161.jpg

There was a $5 off discount in the Bullsheet, use coupon code KCBS at checkout. The Brine mix is very good too.

Really? I wouldn't leave something tomato based (Acidic) in there, but I never really thought about brine being an issue.

It's not just acid but, yes, acidic foods are the worst. Any reactive metal will leave an off taste due to the salt and oils. Ever use an aluminum pen? I don't come across them very often anymore. An easier and exhaggerated example would be to take a penny out of your pocket. Copper is also reactive, handle a penny then lick your finger...taste metallic?

why not use one of the oven roasting bags for turkeys found at every grocery store right now? That's what I was planning on doing. Put the bird in the bag, fill the bag with brine, get the air out and tie it up. Put the bag/bird in a 5 gallone bucket with ice water and put it in the garage.

Any reason that won't work?

Stop over thinking these things. Those bags are made for cooking at temps above 300*. They were not designed to put brine and a bird in then kept below 40* for an extended time.:crazy:

^^says the guy who just added those bags to this weekends grocery list:thumb: I'll still use my cooler and pack ice around the bag and bird. The great thing about those bags is that they are readily available at just about all grocery stores.:clap2:

Stop over thinking these things. Those bags are made for cooking at temps above 300*. They were not designed to put brine and a bird in then kept below 40* for an extended time.:crazy:

^^says the guy who just added those bags to this weekends grocery list:thumb: I'll still use my cooler and pack ice around the bag and bird. The great thing about those bags is that they are readily available at just about all grocery stores.:clap2:

I use roasting bags as they are fairly inexpensive. Just be sure to support the bird when moving it. I had mine in the sink as I filled the bag with brine and was moving it to the cooler and, not thinking, lifted the bag by the top and the brine went down the drain while the turkey ended up in the sink.

I use an igloo cooler and heavily ice down the brine. Close it up and leave it outside for 2 days. Stays plenty cold.

Note: The majority of my brining liquid is apple juice thats been in the fridge for a few days so its cold to start and ice stays intact longer.

Back