What the heck do I do with this?

Dry brining has started!
Probably cook it on Thursday.

4db1ee03576bbff2f0ca6e3a0268cd28.jpg

It fills a full-size bus tub nicely
2a94ad0866913d1691d476932ee97dfb.jpg

I did a much smaller heritage turkey for Thanksgiving and the instructions I got with it call for cooking at about 425. Pulled it when the breast hit 145 and let it rest in my Cambro for a couple of hours. Don't take it any higher because these birds dry out quickly.

I think the carryover heat and hold time pasteurizes the meat so there is no need to worry about bacteria.

Overall, the bird was very juicy and had much better flavor than the commercial birds.

Oh and I think you are going to need a bigger WSM.

Years ago my little town had a turkey processing plant. Fresh turkeys came into the plant by the truckload and they processed them into boneless turkey breasts and other products. The city would give all us employees a gift certificate for one free turkey every year. One year I took my certificate up and told the gal to get me the biggest bird she had. She said, "I've got a box back there that weighs about 100 pounds with 2 turkeys in it." She brought me a bird that was just shy of 50 lbs. We cooked it in the oven that year and it barely fit through the oven door.

:eyebrows: Cut it into pieces! Each breast would make some killer smoked turkey for two occasions. The other pieces, smoked separately will make some really good meals or pieces of meat for beans or soup. Plus you have all the turkey stock that would come out of it! :nod:

Kills me that heritage turkeys are that big or organic free range chickens are at least 5 lbs. I cooked my biggest turkey this year and it was 21 lbs. I like my chickens no more than 3lbs at best. TF?? That mother is bigger than a suckling pig.

I'd still cook the heck out of it though. :-D

Back