What sides is everyone making for T-Day?

My 89 year old Dad requested Oyster Dressing.
He and I are the only ones who like it, but by golly, we're having Oyster Dressing!

Mom, 85, loves sweet potato casserole, so we're having that, too!

Pecan pie for Mom, Pumpkin pie for Dad and plenty of Whipped cream for all!

Double smoked ham and a smoked turkey breast for the mains.

Traditional sides here. Mashed potatoes (jazzed up with a lot of cream cheese and sour cream, granulated onion, granulated garlic,and white pepper) corn (jazzed up with cream cheese and green chiles) green bean casserole, brussel sprouts (with a parmesan lemon sauce if you are a fan of brussel sprouts, then it is worth the price of admission) rice casserole, broccoli salad, cauliflower salad, deviled eggs, macaroni and cheese, relish tray, giblet gravy, turkey gravy, Rhodes Texas rolls and dressing. Smoked breast and two double smoked hams. Those are the things we are making. Have no idea what others plan to bring other than desserts. Told most to bring an appetite. 22 people, ages 6 months to 92 years old.

Sides? Was not planning on any. Texas style turkey sandwich, sliced thin, lettuce, mayo, black pepper and tomato on good bread. That's part one. The other is a beer that is "almost too cold" to drink.

OK- ONE side maybe. Big Bag of Lays Classic- that's been gently handled and only the whole chips from the very top going into the bowl.

I've done and been part of traditional meal Thanks Givings for 60 + years. Wanting something different, tasty and stress free - for a change.

Olive Walnut tamponade served with toasted garlic rosemary sourdough rounds

Butternut squash / pear bisque

Dill shrimp

Lobster Mac

I'm cooking the meats. In reality it'll be SS. Broccoli rice casserole, turnips, grit or hominy casserole.Store bought pie and cool whip.
I may spruce it up and take a can of Rediwhip and do blasts with my almost 91 year old mother.

Last edited:
Oyster stuffing. My family always had that. Its awesome. My mother would make sweet potatoes with toasted marshmallows on top, and John Copes Sweet brown corn. We are eating at my sons and D-I-L Only have to pay for the Alcohol

I showed my wife a recent Chef John video for Mashed Potatoes au Gratin, and she said we are definitely making that! She'd be making mashed potatoes anyway and we love making his Parmessn Potato Stacks, so this is short of a combo of the two. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary - veggies, turnip, dressing/ stuffing, cranberry sauce.

I’m making a double batch of Wampus’ peach bourbon beans. Always a big hit and never left overs.

Roasted and cheese stuffed cauliflower

Bacon wrapped green beans and asparagus

Mashed truffle potatoes

Roasted fingerling garlic potatoes

Sauteed brussel sprout leaves or halved brussel srpouts

Yams and sweet taters not sure how I want to do those yet

Crannie sauce

Back