What new smoker to get

If you're looking to buy a drum and money isn't an issue, check out hunsaker smokers. And mark is a very good dude to talk to, atleast with couple the times I spoke with him. If money is an issue, and you don't want to hear the wife nagging about "spending money on ANOTHER grill/smoker", then build your own for under $200. And trust me you won't have any complaints if done correctly. Just do some research or or join the Ugly Drum Smoker group on Facebook. Feel free to shoot me a PM as well if you'd like some pointers about the drum. Still new to the drum scene myself but have learned quite a bit in a short amount of time.
I've never used a WSM but I've seen lots of threads with cooks done on them. Definitely a cooking machine as well. Can't go wrong with either one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I probably should have also added that another gripe I have with my electric smoker is the cabinet design. Its a pain to get in and check on food (you have to pull out the grates, Small gripe I know) but I am looking for something that had a top I can open (like a traditional grill, or lid like the WSM or UDS).

That's the Exact opposite of me and many people. Once you start cooking multiple meats n sides a top load SUCKS. Pulling a Hot rack of meat to get to lower grate BLOWS........Cabinets are better raised on a Table or on legs n casters or such, so you don't have to bend over........

It seems like the majority of people here are suggesting a WSM or UDS. really no votes for offset type?

As for budget I would say I probably would have a hard time convincing the wife that I need to spend more than 2k.

Based on the responses from here I will start to look at UDS / WSM type.

$2K would get You a Professional UDS (Gateway or Hunsaker) or a WSM AND a Mid grade stick burner.......Everybody should have both a set it n forget it AND a stickburner. :heh:

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/
https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/

Hell, $1K would get you a 22" WSM AND The New Ok Joe Bandera...........:clap2:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-22-1-2-in-Smokey-Mountain-Cooker-Smoker-731001/100657671
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-OK-Joes-Bandera-Smoker/38429443

I probably should have also added that another gripe I have with my electric smoker is the cabinet design. Its a pain to get in and check on food (you have to pull out the grates, Small gripe I know) but I am looking for something that had a top I can open (like a traditional grill, or lid like the WSM or UDS).

Kyle, The only place I have been to recently is called Wagon Train BBQ. The food was there was good, only went a couple of times.

It seems like the majority of people here are suggesting a WSM or UDS. really no votes for offset type?

As for budget I would say I probably would have a hard time convincing the wife that I need to spend more than 2k.

If you don't have a problem hanging out at your pit, drinking lots of beer, and feeding it a seasoned split every 30-45 minutes, I say go with the offset stick burner. The Q you will get off of it is unsurpassed, as long as your fire is burning clean, in my humble opinion.

$2K would get You a Professional UDS (Gateway or Hunsaker) or a WSM AND a Mid grade stick burner.......Everybody should have both a set it n forget it AND a stickburner. :heh:

Hell, $1K would get you a 22" WSM AND The New Ok Joe Bandera...........:clap2:

Amen! I agree 100% with this. I own a PBC and a Yoder Wichita.

To the OP, be sure to look at the Cheyenne in person before you buy. I found it to be rather small. It can handle about 1 full packer brisket.

Regarding the decision between a YS640 and an offset. I would lean towards your gut feeling. For me, I knew I would be okay with managing a fire, and I had read offsets produce the best tasting BBQ. I really do enjoy cooking on my Wichita and it's produced some great BBQ, but it has taken some cooks for me to get used to it and it does require work but I enjoy it.

I've only read great things about the YS640, and I'm sure it will produce great tasting BBQ. If fire management sounds like something you may tire of or may not enjoy, I would get the YS640. Good luck!

Kyle, The only place I have been to recently is called Wagon Train BBQ. The food was there was good, only went a couple of times.

I have owned a WSM for about three years now but i recently got an offset in the beginning of December built by brethren Dave Fisk and I haven't used my WSM since. This is not a knock against WSMs. WSMs put out good food, they are reasonably priced, and easy to use and dial in temps. But in my opinion, the joy I get out of cooking on an offset is unmatched and the flavor of the food it puts out is pretty farking good too. I agree with Smitty that, if feasible, it's best to have both especially for the days you don't have time to babysit an offset. Just a novice's .02

(1) I live in upstate ny (albany area)
First this smoker being electric is set it and forget it. This has been useful up here in NY over the winter.

(2) Lastly it kind of feels like cheating just putting it in the smoker and walking away.

(3) I have been looking at the Yoder ys640 or chyenne (or larger cousins)
The ys640 is closer to the setup I have now, set it and walk away. However I think the ability to get higher temps (smokin it only goes to 250) would allow me to BBQ chicken and crisp up the food more. I am worried about having to buy pellets plus having a fan / computer just seems like more failure points

(4) The offset type seems like it would be more work but would solve all my issues and worries with the other two. It would give me an excuse to hang around the house all day and drink beer / screw around with out the wife getting too upset. My only worrie is that its way more work than i anticipate and it would end up collecting dust.

(1) With your colder temps in winter, an insulated cabinet would enable you to better maintain temps and burn less fuel.

(2) If you check out Peteg's thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243814), you will see that he ran a cook with wood and tended the fire. After some time, he switched to charcoal and it became a "set it and forget it"...you get to choose how you want to cook. There are other insulated verticals out there, but not so many under $2k that are around that size or with as much cook space.

(3) While pellet poopers are nice options, you won't be cooking in the event of a power outage. Plus, the insulated vertical eliminates the possibility of failed electronics.

(4) You can hang out and drink a beer no matter what cooker you choose. Bottom line, ask 20 people what cooker to buy and you may get 10-20 different answers...buy what you feel will suit your needs and cooking style.

I have been looking around myself, seriously looking at getting myself a Humphreys Battlebox. Kevin is a pleasure to deal with and has talked to me on the phone, and keeps in touch by email. The Weekender looks good as well, both would require a cart or stand of some kind.

I looked at a nice custom offset but being in Ontario, Canada, its not an attractive option due to weather. My problem is location getting a unit sent across the border is an expensive affair, and exchange rates add 20% onto the cost of any unit.

Another option that seems to not mind the weather, is reasonably priced, and versatile is the Assassin Grill. It acts as a smoker and a grill, lots of space, BIG opening to access food.

Final option though possibly the most expensive is a 270, they are neat looking claim to hold temps without an assist and have a nice upward swinging door. However rear loading for fuel, necessary for the design but might be a pain.

I have been looking for an upgrade for a while now. I am most likely going to end up going with a Humphreys Battle Box. I live in Ontario, Canada, we have weather so as much as I would love a locally made custom offset, it just is not practical.

I have been very impressed with Kevin from Northeast Professional BBQ. He has talked to me on the phone, kept in touch with email, as is very helpful.

That being said there are 2 other options I am considering. The first is the Assasin grill, lots of space, handles weather pretty well, great price, and reasonable shipping costs. 270 smokers is another option, nifty shelves and door design, odd as heck rear loading for charcoal.

what new smoker

For something different - provided you don't mind hanging around tending the fire etc - check out the C-60 on http://kbq.us . Sorry, can't figure out how to rotate the pic.

Attachments

• 20170219_152207.jpg
    20170219_152207.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 20170219_184649.jpg
    20170219_184649.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 127
Two years ago I went through the same decision making process you're currently going through. I was coming from an electric and had decided I wanted something that was still pretty much set it and forget it, but that burned charcoal or wood. I didn't want to spend the money on a brand new insulated cabinet so I decided on a WSM. Just then a Backwoods G2 Chubby went up for sale on Craigslist and I owned it within the hour. I love it and highly recommend it. It is a tad small so for big groups a G2 Party would be better.

I'm another fan of having a couple different cookers. I like being able to play with charcoal and will someday probably get a stick burner too. That said, I wouldn't give up the pellet grill. There are times when I need it's convenience.

For $2k you have lots of options. I might look at something like a rectec plus a WSM or $500-600 level offset

I have owned three horizontal offset stick burners (on two continents) and they do produce unparalleled BBQ! There is a bit of a learning curve in the beginning (getting to know your pit and learning to play with fire). Running a stick burner can be a challenge however, that's part of the fun and another reason to take pride in the finished result.

Having said that, IMHO nothing beats Q'ing on a stick burner. Sitting around with your friends, drinking beer all day, and throwing a log in every 30 - 45 minutes is a great way to spend the day.

If you like playing with fire, drinking beer, hanging out with friends, and awesome Q - get a stick burner, you will not be disappointed. Make friends with people who have large fruit/nut producing trees and you won't have to buy wood/charcoal!

However, if you want to keep the ease of a set it and forget it type system, a WSM might be better suited to your needs.

The only problems with a WSM is winter. Shuffling racks, frozen water pan if you forget to dump it, frozen water in the fire bowl if you had a January thaw rain, the cover can help but if it gets cold enough and wet enough that is shot as well.

I really wish Weber had thought out the lid design a bit more. I have enjoyed my WSM but its slight design flaws come out over time, but for that price and the quality/ease of the cooks its easy to overlook.

Final option though possibly the most expensive is a 270, they are neat looking claim to hold temps without an assist and have a nice upward swinging door. However rear loading for fuel, necessary for the design but might be a pain.

I can confirm the bolded. Rear fuel door is a non issue for me. Paraphrasing Smitty, get you one.

Back