What new smoker to get

rblaster

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hello everyone, I am new here to the forum but have been lurking for a while. a little background on my self.

I live in upstate ny (albany area), im a mechanical engineer and I have been inti smoking for about 3 months now. i have gotten in the habit of smoking food every weekend (some times a couple time a weekend) and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

I have a smokin it #3 electric smoker (first smoker ever, bought electric off a recommendation for a buddy).

So far i have cooked the following with varying results.

Baby back ribs,
do these almost every weekend, have them down to a science, cook for approximately 4.5 to 5 hrs un wrapped at 225.

Pork butt / Shoulder (for pulled pork)
Have done one of these every other weekend since starting, typically cook 10 to 15 hrs, approach now is start at 200 over night and then bump up to 225 for the finish, never wrapp either. Have done injected and not and seem to get better results injected.

Burgers / Meat loaf
These came out too smokey, i think the additional surface area made it absorb the smoke too much, was bad enough that I havnt tried agian, need to try agian with very little wood

Bacon.
Have done this a few times, have it dialed in, i use a very small amount of wood, cook the bacon at 225 for about an hr or so. it seems to " cure" the bacon. The wife and i typically make blts with this.

Pork loin.
Cooked a 10 pounder the other weekend for family and it came out perfect, 225 for 2 to 3 hrs.

Brisket
Did a full brisket for superbowl. Temp on the flat shot up really quick the jumped around, turned out my temp probe broke, brisket was very dry and disappointing, will try agian but this was an expensive mistake.

Whole chickens
Have done several, I am on the fence on how they coom, the skin is always rubbery. the meat is always juicy but something is just off about them.

Smokin it #3 smoker.
So i have no experience with other smokers but my experience so far with the smokin it smoker has been positive.
First this smoker being electric is set it and forget it. This has been useful up here in NY over the winter.
The smoker is really efficient with wood. I bought a few bags ehen I started and have used maybe half the wood.
Everything stays very moist (except the brisket).

Now not everything is great with the smoker. first i noticed that temps can swing 20 to 40 degrees. also because its so moist its hard to get skin on chicken to crisp up. Also if you are doing one pork butt or one rack of ribs it does great, but when you load it up all that moisture makes it hard to crisp everything up the way i like it. There really is only one vent on the top (and a small grease hole in the bottom), I think this is why it stays to moist.
Lastly it kind of feels like cheating just putting it in the smoker and walking away.

So now to what smoker I should get. I have been looking at the Yoder ys640 or chyenne (or larger cousins)
I realize that they are two different animals.

The ys640 is closer to the setup I have now, set it and walk away. However I think the ability to get higher temps (smokin it only goes to 250) would allow me to BBQ chicken and crisp up the food more. I am worried about having to buy pellets plus having a fan / computer just seems like more failure points

The offset type seems like it would be more work but would solve all my issues and worries with the other two. It would give me an excuse to hang around the house all day and drink beer / screw around with out the wife getting too upset. My only worrie is that its way more work than i anticipate and it would end up collecting dust.

So does anyone here have any advice? Im sure i would get alot of use out of the ys640, the offset seems attractive but im worried it would be too much work abd I would end up not using it.

I have attached some photos of cooks I have done

Attachments

• 20170311_134028.jpg
    20170311_134028.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 430
  • 20170310_222331.jpg
    20170310_222331.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 425
  • 20170225_141106.jpg
    20170225_141106.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 20170225_134230.jpg
    20170225_134230.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 428
  • 20170113_215146.jpg
    20170113_215146.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 431
  • 20170113_215028.jpg
    20170113_215028.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 426
  • 20170205_144138.jpg
    20170205_144138.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 428
  • 20170311_134629.jpg
    20170311_134629.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 429
I wound up getting a Weber WSM 22.5. For me it has the perfect balance between "real" charcoal/wood bbq and set it and forget convenience. Food comes out pretty good too!

Did you have a budget in mind? That does make a big difference in the direction you will be going.

For about $400, you can get a 22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain, as Chris said above. Once you learn how to maintain temp via the three intake vents, it is basically a set and forget for a decent amount of time. WSM is a great smoker and is what I started with...and still use when cooking for a small group.

For around the cost of the Yoder, you can get a Backwoods Chubby with heat diverter, casters and cover. http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/products.html

EDIT: The Chubby is insulated...1" standard...2" optional.

Last edited:
I'd go Insulated cabinet like a Humphreys Battle Box or Pint. If that's too high $ I'd go UDS or WSM. Then I'd buy an Old Country Smokehouse vertical stickburner.
And I'd run 275* in the Electric and the Cabinet and the Smokehouse.

I can see that you are already an accomplished cook from the pics, the food will only get better from here. Although I don't own one, when I was shopping for smokers I read a lot of reviews, and you would be hard pressed to find one with a better overall rating than the WSM. I recommended that to my neighbor and she went right out and got one. Also, check out the sites dedicated to their owners. Loyal bunch of folks.

Build a UDS, then use some money to buy some adult beverages of choice.... then stock up on some brisket, ribs, and chicken thighs!
Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with the Yoder it's a very nice PG but I think you should take a look at a Insulated Cabinet Smoker or a Drum like Hunsaker or Gateway as well, unless you'd like to build your own. Drums are extremely versatile smokers that will hold temps consistently, hanging Chicken Halves in a Drum is hard to beat. I plan on getting a Pellet Grill one day but it will be a secondary smoker not my primary just because of some of the things you have mentioned.

I started on an Electric Smoker, now have a WSM 18.5 and plan on ordering a Hunsaker Drum with a hanging kit next week.

Keep in mind that the hangers that come with the expandable rack kit for the Weber Smokey Mountain are specifically made for fish. Pit Barrel Cooker has a set of 8 heavy stainless steel hangers that would be excellent for hanging chickens and ribs on the Weber expandable rack.

It only took 6 posts for a uds comment.
It's proven time after time to be one of, if not, the best smoker that money can buy if you have the time to build one. And building them is probly more exciting than smoking on them, lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree with those who said WSM 22.5", I've had mine for about 6 years now and I love it!

on an unrelated note to the original poster, what do you think of the bbq in the albany area? I'm from down in Binghamton but I've worked up there a lot over the last year and a half, I love PJ's bbq up in saratoga springs! I ate at Warehouse BBQ on Wolf Road in Colonie last week and it was a bit disappointing, this one place in clifton park was really bad. the dinosaur in troy seems hit or miss to me

I'd be torn between waiting for the 2017 Kamado Joe, or the Weber Summit Charcoal. Those are both some sweet rigs..

Of course, I doubt they have the capacity of a cabinet smoker like you're used to, if you need to smoke serious weight..

Last edited:
I probably should have also added that another gripe I have with my electric smoker is the cabinet design. Its a pain to get in and check on food (you have to pull out the grates, Small gripe I know) but I am looking for something that had a top I can open (like a traditional grill, or lid like the WSM or UDS).

Kyle, The only place I have been to recently is called Wagon Train BBQ. The food was there was good, only went a couple of times.

It seems like the majority of people here are suggesting a WSM or UDS. really no votes for offset type?

As for budget I would say I probably would have a hard time convincing the wife that I need to spend more than 2k.

Based on the responses from here I will start to look at UDS / WSM type.

Back