What kind of smoker to pass down to future generations?

1/4” offset or reverse flow will out live anyone walking around now, anything thicker is simply unnecessary...

A gf will rust out long before ya want it too...

Joedy,
Interesting that the subject of "Passing Down" a rig has come up in several threads today, and I just told my wife who I want to have my smoker(s) if I pass. Some one who will Love it the same as I do.
Check out the Meadow Creek line of smokers. I have the BX 50, and it is about 12 yrs old right now and still as good as the day it was first lit. Heavy construction, and easy to run. Not a gravity fed, and I dont think they make that type, but there are several models they build from offset to IVC to Grill / smoker combo.

I hope you find the "right one" to pass on, along with the Love of the Art of The Que!

My parents held on to things so long nobody wanted them, nobody got to enjoy. I’ve been giving my son “stuff” the last couple of years. I make sure when I do I tell him,”this is not a boat anchor for life sell it or keep it to enjoy-your choice”. I will never mention again. Watch, coin collection, custom and Puma knives. The old give someone the shirt off your back then go by three times per day to make sure it’s buttoned correct —well I think that’s terrible.

Timings of gifts can be a biotch

Joedy,
Interesting that the subject of "Passing Down" a rig has come up in several threads today, and I just told my wife who I want to have my smoker(s) if I pass. Some one who will Love it the same as I do.
Check out the Meadow Creek line of smokers. I have the BX 50, and it is about 12 yrs old right now and still as good as the day it was first lit. Heavy construction, and easy to run. Not a gravity fed, and I dont think they make that type, but there are several models they build from offset to IVC to Grill / smoker combo.

I hope you find the "right one" to pass on, along with the Love of the Art of The Que!

Rick, I actually was a fan of the IVC before gravity feeds, but seeing I am closer to Georgia this would negate any shipping cost. Will take a look and figure something out for the future. Thanks for the recommendation and it's awesome you had to conversation with the Mrs.

My parents held on to things so long nobody wanted them, nobody got to enjoy. I’ve been giving my son “stuff” the last couple of years. I make sure when I do I tell him,”this is not a boat anchor for life sell it or keep it to enjoy-your choice”. I will never mention again. Watch, coin collection, custom and Puma knives. The old give someone the shirt off your back then go by three times per day to make sure it’s buttoned correct —well I think that’s terrible.

Timings of gifts can be a biotch

Adams, my granddaddy was the same way as your parents. Becaue of this when he passed I had to send a 1969 Chevy Chevelle to the scrap yard because it had rusted through so much. My brother has his early 60's truck in his yard, but it is in similar condition. His tractor (which I would have loved to fix up to ride my kids on) was of no good anymore. You bring up a very good point of that timing being a fine line. I also understand your thoughts on people giving the gifts with "strings attached." Thanks for the thoughts.

Look for build and material quality that will last. Look at American-made options in Stainless-steel. There are several options out there. MAK or Pitts pellets. Kalamazoo Kamado, Ole Hickory and M Grills charcoals. I'm sure there are many other great options.

This has come up between my wife and I as well. However, sadly neither one of ours kids have shown any interest. This makes me very sad, as I have continued the traditions of Q and hog roasting passed down by my grandfather. So, it has been decided that we wish to have all of the smokers and grills donated to churches, youth organizations, and tech schools, in hopes that they will be appreciated.

I gave my son a 22" Weber Kettle last year but he is just a casual griller and I doubt he would use or appreciate any of my other grills or smokers that could last for years.

My Deep South GC28 will probably be around long enough to hand down.

The smokers you listed are also built well enough to hand down.

I have seen some of the original Jambo's sell for WAY more than what a new one would cost.

I'd imagine a high quality stick burner would be the best generational smoker to pass down. As with most of us cost is an issue and comparing the cost of the Shirley to some of the gravity fed or IVC units the Shirley wins--only if you want to spend the time tending to a fire--which I now find myself enjoying alongside my boys! Hope you can enjoy that time with your family!

Just curious, what is the price range for Shirley smokers ?

Do they compare with Moberg, Mill Scale, and Franklin, or more closely to LSG ?

I know for the 24x36 patio that is popular its either 23 or 2400 without the SS shelf.

Thanks, did not want to hijack the thread but I can't find much on the Shirley website on prices or what they offer, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

But just about all of these " hand down " smokers come with a pretty big price tag.

I plan to pass down my PK original to my daughter, who likes to cook but has no place where she can use any sort of grill and really no time right now between grad school and working. But one day she will remember all the great food she ate from it and use it herself.

Thanks, did not want to hijack the thread but I can't find much on the Shirley website on prices or what they offer, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

But just about all of these " hand down " smokers come with a pretty big price tag.

Yeah that is definitely the case, but if I am passionate enough about to be able to swallow the cost it would give them a leg up on having a sweet cooker that we shared many memories on. At least that is the way I look at it.

I plan to pass down my PK original to my daughter, who likes to cook but has no place where she can use any sort of grill and really no time right now between grad school and working. But one day she will remember all the great food she ate from it and use it herself.

My FIL gave me a PK in 1985 as he'd gone to a gas grill.

Sadly, it was stolen off my patio in 1990.

But there was a silver lining, they not only stole the PK but they did me a favor and took the sorryass Brinkman water smoker that I never did get figured out.

Wish I still had the PK though, most likely, I could've passed it along to my SIL.

It isn't what you give them when you die. It is what you teach them when you're alive.

I totally agree, but sometimes best of all is a combination.

I've got all sorts of fun tools in my shop--even a metal lathe and mill--but the thing I prize most is the hammer passed down from my grandfather who carried it on his belt helping build the dams along the Tennessee river in the 30s. Every time I look at it hanging in a prominent place on my shop wall, I both treasure the heirloom itself and feel nudged again to live up to the good name he gave the family and passed down through my dad.

I can only assume PJ will be passing on his Shirley to me when he does same.

Back