THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I always thought that Tex-Mex meant that the enchilada plate had to have a ring of orange grease, oozing out of the cheese and chili con carne, ringing the food like a halo. At least that was my standard.

Hey Bob, when I lived in El Paso, we used to go to a restaurant after church on Sunday for their brunch - I think it was called Carlos & Mickey's. Great food. Ever been?

It wasn't necessarily quality Tex-Mex, but I used to love going to this place called Panchos Mexican Buffet when I was in high school in Dallas. You raise a flag and they bring you more food until you pass out. Refried beans, rice, enchiladas, flautas, chalupas, and on and on. Then they had warm sopapillas with honey for dessert.

Hey Bob, when I lived in El Paso, we used to go to a restaurant after church on Sunday for their brunch - I think it was called Carlos & Mickey's. Great food. Ever been?

Quite a few times. It's a decent place and nice atomosphere too. The gigantic margaritas(fish bowl mod) is one thing they are known for. There is a place called Casa Pizza right across the street. Probably one of the best pizza joints that makes a mean lasagne and also makes some outstanding Greek food.

It wasn't necessarily quality Tex-Mex, but I used to love going to this place called Panchos Mexican Buffet when I was in high school in Dallas. You raise a flag and they bring you more food until you pass out. Refried beans, rice, enchiladas, flautas, chalupas, and on and on. Then they had warm sopapillas with honey for dessert.

Ah yes, Panchos. Sadly, the very last one here closed about three years ago. The highlight for me as a kid was getting to raise the flag. Good memories for sure.

sounds pretty good,you should try the restaurant thing thou. pulled pork is pretty good with mexican food too.you should also try them on sopes,burritos,tortas,i have yet to see a tamale with that in it.
i dont know if its texmex but bbq quesadillas and enchiladas are pretty good.
I posted a thread of tamales made with pulled pork. They were very good the smoke flavor really came through.

Ah yes, Panchos. Sadly, the very last one here closed about three years ago. The highlight for me as a kid was getting to raise the flag. Good memories for sure.
They still have a couple of Panchos in the Dallas area. There is one here in Plano. Like was said earlier, not great tex mex, but the quanity is all you can eat.:redface:

True Tex mex focuses more on the meats side of the menu, as authentic mexican dishes have far more beans and such in the recipes and the meat is the focus, but there's not a lot of it. The other part of Tex mex lies more heavily on the flour tortilla as king as opposed to the corn tortilla. Fajitas are the first thing I think of when I think Tex Mex. If I had a restaraunt, I'd definitely have ranchiladas, which are two or three fajita tacos wrapped and then smothered in an enchilada sauce with cheese or queso or chile con carne. I also am a big fan of papas, which are potatoes with bacon, sour cream and cheese, and also a pan fried red skillet potatoes with good seasoning is hard to beat also.

True Tex mex focuses more on the meats side of the menu, as authentic mexican dishes have far more beans and such in the recipes and the meat is the focus, but there's not a lot of it. The other part of Tex mex lies more heavily on the flour tortilla as king as opposed to the corn tortilla. Fajitas are the first thing I think of when I think Tex Mex. If I had a restaraunt, I'd definitely have ranchiladas, which are two or three fajita tacos wrapped and then smothered in an enchilada sauce with cheese or queso or chile con carne. I also am a big fan of papas, which are potatoes with bacon, sour cream and cheese, and also a pan fried red skillet potatoes with good seasoning is hard to beat also.

DUDE........those Ranchiladas sound freaking killer!! That's one that I'll be trying soon. I like the way you think and eat!

This thread is going to cause me to have to cook up some "Mexican" food this weekend. I am thinking Mexican potatoes, Mexican rice, Ranch beans and chorizo. Ooo, chicken enchiladas...smoked chicken enchiladas!

yer so fulla crap- the tex mex focuses on the menu says wha?? side of the menu...oops.. i watched too much myron this week.. amarillo has no clue of tex mex...ya got oklatexadillo cooking....lol:twisted:

p.s. i ain't gettin no ketucky nookie tonight so- i guess i'm all wrong... sheesh...

In 2000 Robb Walsh published a six part series on the history of Tex-Mex. It's a pretty good read.

To find it search "Robb Walsh", "Houston Press", "Tex-Mex" in Google and you should be able to find it.
I was checking out his books and realized I have one. Or maybe had one. I can't find some of my books. I had "A Cowboy in The Kitchen."

Here's an idea -

Kind of like the "Texas BBQ trail", maybe some of us in the South Texas area should get together and do a "Tex-Mex Trail" through the area. Each of us picks a 'raunt or two and we visit a different one each time...

You guys have fired me up on this again, so I just polished of the last of a batch of home-made barbacoa... corn tortillas, barbacoa, chopped onion, cilantro, salt & pepper and fresh squeezed lime juice. Gawd, I'm hungry again!

Here's an idea -

Kind of like the "Texas BBQ trail", maybe some of us in the South Texas area should get together and do a "Tex-Mex Trail" through the area. Each of us picks a 'raunt or two and we visit a different one each time...

You guys have fired me up on this again, so I just polished of the last of a batch of home-made barbacoa... corn tortillas, barbacoa, chopped onion, cilantro, salt & pepper and fresh squeezed lime juice. Gawd, I'm hungry again!

Was it the cheek meat? Dang that stuff is good. I'm jonesing for some with my mom's red salsa de arbol.

I'd be down for that but I could only eat at one spot per outing. I'd start with the "Royal Beef Enchiladas" at Marthas at Broadway and 410.

Back