What Does "Tex-Mex" Mean to You?

There was this girl I met, she was from Texas, but, her mom's side was from...oh, wrong thread.

I grew up in an area with loads of Mexican folks, mixed in with Texas and Oklahoma folks brought (dumped?) here during WW2. We have a form of Cali/Okie/Tex/Mex food that I really enjoy. It is largely a mix of Southern U.S. and Oaxaca/Michoacan influences. The best Tex/Mex was the food we would grill on the back of the pickups, with Mexicatessan carnitas and giardinara. We would also use Sonoran tortillas, so good.

Lived in TX for over 20 years. Ate a lot of Tex-Mex. I think it's basically Mex food adapted to our Gringo tastes. Just about all of the restaurant workers I have talked with say "this isn't really how we fix it in Mexico". May not be authentic but it sure be good.

Being from and in Texas, I too Love "TexMex"! But I learned a few years ago its not for everyone. My Wife and I were visiting Family in Virginia, and found out they dont care for it.

The problem with so called "tex-mex" on the east coast, is that there was a rush of restaurants back in the 90's that opened on the east coast advertising themselves as "tex-mex", and for the most part it was substandard americanized mexican food, that neither self respecting texans or mexicans would eat.

It gave tex-mex food a bad name on this end of the country, that i think still persists.

Pappacitas, Fort Worth. Wish I were in Alvarado, TX right now. Bet there's a party of BBQrs eating there tonight

My two centavos here, Tex Mex in San Antonio is not just a regional rendition of Mexican food, it's part of a greater culture in our city. It's the food, the drinks, the desert, the people, the attitude, the decor, the history, the special holiday traditions, the festivals, the music, and all the nuance of the Tex Mex culture, all wrapped around and intertwined with the daily life of our Mexican community and the rest of us too.....that's what it is.

If people say they don't like Tex-Mex they probably mean they don't like a very narrow sample of the food that has come to be known as Tex-Mex like poorly done cheese enchiladas. Unfortunately you cannot separate the other things I mentioned above from the food. There is something magical about a full on Tex Mex feast with a local Mexican family in it's proper context that would be impossible to replicate in a lone taco joint outside of south Texas. The food can be simple and plain and it can be world class.

In my opinion you have "live among it" to "get it". JMHO

Might not be Tex-Mex, more like Mempho-Mex but my Missouri wife can't get out of Memphis without eating some BBQ Nachos.

Wow I used to work there at RGC back in 06. I was one of the computer techs there. Before that I worked across the street at the junior college for 5 years before that at the computer center. We might even know eachother since we are both in the computer biz. What was your business called? What a small world this is turning out to be..... Who else is from my area? Oh man you're not kidding about breakfast tacos they're some good places there. I go there all the time my friends and parents still live there.

Hey Smokey Al,

My wife (Karen Chambers) worked at RGC 2000-2003 first as Assistant Student Services Director, then after her boss was canned, she was Interim Director - we moved for me to go to the seminary before she was offically the Director.
My business was first called "Computer Tutor", but I found out that name was taken and I changed to Alpha-Omega Computer Solutions. I worked of a shop behind my house. I also worked for RGC tutoring students on computers, before they hired a full-time techie. His name was Ben, good guy - maybe you knew him??? I can't remember when he left.

Did you know Vince Ortiz at SWTJC? He was in admissions or recruiting, can't remember exactly.

My two centavos here, Tex Mex in San Antonio is not just a regional rendition of Mexican food, it's part of a greater culture in our city. It's the food, the drinks, the desert, the people, the attitude, the decor, the history, the special holiday traditions, the festivals, the music, and all the nuance of the Tex Mex culture, all wrapped around and intertwined with the daily life of our Mexican community and the rest of us too.....that's what it is.

If people say they don't like Tex-Mex they probably mean they don't like a very narrow sample of the food that has come to be known as Tex-Mex like poorly done cheese enchiladas. Unfortunately you cannot separate the other things I mentioned above from the food. There is something magical about a full on Tex Mex feast with a local Mexican family in it's proper context that would be impossible to replicate in a lone taco joint outside of south Texas. The food can be simple and plain and it can be world class.

You nailed it, Zilla. What is the name of the long time restaurant downtown in the mercado? I'm drawing a blank. It's THE place, in my opinion for the total package. Although, Alamo Cafe tortillas rock!

Any of you guys ever cross over into Cuidad Acuna? Used to be great food there, too. Haven't been in ten years, so maybe not anymore...

Hey Smokey Al,

My wife (Karen Chambers) worked at RGC 2000-2003 first as Assistant Student Services Director, then after her boss was canned, she was Interim Director - we moved for me to go to the seminary before she was offically the Director.
My business was first called "Computer Tutor", but I found out that name was taken and I changed to Alpha-Omega Computer Solutions. I worked of a shop behind my house. I also worked for RGC tutoring students on computers, before they hired a full-time techie. His name was Ben, good guy - maybe you knew him??? I can't remember when he left.

Did you know Vince Ortiz at SWTJC? He was in admissions or recruiting, can't remember exactly.

Karen Chambers sounds very familiar but that was just a few years before I really knew everyone there. I don't remember the name of your business but I was just getting into my career at that time. Yes Ben Rosebrock was the tech at that time. Really tall guy. He left and got rehired as the OIT Director so he was actually my boss while I worked there. He was a really good guy and a great boss. Wow who knew a fellow brethren and I would have come from the same small town? We used to go to Acuna often especially to party in my teens and early twenties but I don't remember much of those trips. There is a really good restaurant there called Crosby's we used to always eat at before hitting the bars. Wouldn't dare go party over there now. Awesome to get to know you and that we came from the same place. :-D Oh yeah and by the way Vince and I are friends I used to always help him out. I visited SWTJC a few weeks ago and ran into him. Cool guy. My mom is actually the nurse at SWTJC and my dad teaches AC/Refrigeration.

Well said and I agree 100% The restaurant downtown that you are talking about might be Mi Tierra. Awesome place and top notch food. The melted queso appetizer is to die for! They have nice bar too :-D

Uvalde

Wow I used to work there at RGC back in 06. I was one of the computer techs there. Before that I worked across the street at the junior college for 5 years before that at the computer center. We might even know eachother since we are both in the computer biz. What was your business called? What a small world this is turning out to be..... Who else is from my area? Oh man you're not kidding about breakfast tacos they're some good places there. I go there all the time my friends and parents still live there.

I was born in Uvalde and still have family in the area.

"Tex-Mex" to me means keep on driving. I like Tex/Mex or Mexican food but here in the area I'm in the market has gotten flooded with it. I'm so sick of Mexican food I could vomit.

always felt mi teirra was more toursity if you will. still liked the place. but preferred more local joints. now my uncle used to love to go to marios which used to be on the west side of 35 downtown area.
use to hit the malt shop off west commerce and zarzamora. haven't been there since the early to mind 90's.
other than that i would always hit a small joint or two on the west side. the kind where your 83 impala would be the nicest car on the lot. hahahaha

oh and to keep it on topic. tex-mex is San ANtonio. no place that i have lived in(23 states two countries)can even come close to the way it is made there.

You nailed it. It's much more than just the food. The reality is that joints that serve "poorly done cheese enchiladas" and everything else and claim to be "authentic" Mexican or Tex-Mex, but are nothing more than a Taco Bell with a different name (nothing personal against TB, I still eat there from time to time and enjoy it for what it is) really do taint what Tex-Mex is really about.
Even here in EP, you can get real Mex(as in walk or drive into Juarez, Mexico and "when in Mexico, eat as the Mexicans do", Tex-Mex, and Tex-Mex-NewMex being that we are right next door to both. Talk about a real blending of foods and culture.
I had a hard time replying to this thread because I was looking at it from a food stance only. But Zilla really nailed it. Well said!!

Last edited:
I am not so sure I agree with the contention that you have to be in Texas to understand what Zilla and Bob are talking about. While the specific conditions of the blended cultures of Texas and Mexico cannot be replicated elsewhere, I do believe that we have similar blendings of culture in many of the states that border Mexico and Texas. I grew up with, Mexican folks. Their cultural traditions and behaviors became a part of our daily lives. One of the things that has driven me nuts, as I have grown older and left that area, and moved into more affluent locations was the tendency to minimize the Mexican culture and cuisine into a Chevy's mold. I still remember the wonder of a bunch of friends that a Nuevo Latino place served fresh fruit and veggies, salad and grilled meats, how revolutionary it was that Mexicans took the best of American cuisine and were serving it as Latino. I told them that if they thought that Mexicans only eat cheese and sauce laden crispy tacos and tortilla chips, they were sadly mistaken and perhaps they should travel a bit. I might have said more. I did not get laid that night.

Back