What Does "Tex-Mex" Mean to You?

Wes, if you come to CA, that method doesn't work. All of the restaurants within a half mile of my house are mostly Mexican folks.
I was born in SoCa and lived there till I was 43. Moved here in '05. It's funny when I look at my friends over the years and at my kids friend on Facebook. I'm starting to wonder if the Mexican People adopted us somewhere along the way.

If you are from the southwest, it isn't about adoption, it is about two cultures living in one land. In the end, I think that is what a lot of Tex-Mex is about, two cultures that have learned to take the best of each and make it work better.

Moving to Nampa after 43 years in SoCal must have been a culture shock. I have kin in Idaho, all over the place, some were around Nampa too. It is funny, they are as close to Japan as I am, yet they have no concept of their ancestry. I remember my cousing Scott saying to the men's store owner 'that there is my cousin Bob, he's one of those Japanese people'? :eek: WTH, I am Japanese but he isn't? And the clerk says 'yep, he ain't like us' Huh?

If you are from the southwest, it isn't about adoption, it is about two cultures living in one land. In the end, I think that is what a lot of Tex-Mex is about, two cultures that have learned to take the best of each and make it work better.

Moving to Nampa after 43 years in SoCal must have been a culture shock. I have kin in Idaho, all over the place, some were around Nampa too. It is funny, they are as close to Japan as I am, yet they have no concept of their ancestry. I remember my cousing Scott saying to the men's store owner 'that there is my cousin Bob, he's one of those Japanese people'? :eek: WTH, I am Japanese but he isn't? And the clerk says 'yep, he ain't like us' Huh?
Haven't ran into any Japanese folks yet but I have some Friends here from Hawaii. They have a Son who lives in Japan.

Did you make the barbacoa yourself? If so, can you share your technique? The stuff I get up here just isn't the same as the stuff you get in Texas.
Well, I admit that I don't do it the traditional way - DW won't let me bury a cow's head in the yard overnight! But the below makes a darned fine barbacoa and is cooked outdoors in a dutch oven or even at home on the stovetop.

Here's the post: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1113887#post1113887

I would almost say that, at least in my mind, Mexican and Tex-Mex are two different cuisines with a lot of overlap.
A pretty good guideline is that if the dish involves flour tortillas or yellow cheese, it isn't Mexican, it's Tex-Mex. Not absolute, but close.

A pretty good guideline is that if the dish involves flour tortillas or yellow cheese, it isn't Mexican, it's Tex-Mex. Not absolute, but close.
Funny! I always know I'm in a good Mexican restaurant when there's goat cheese on the frijoles!

Back