What do you slop on top?

I like thinned out red sauces with beer. For whatever reason, the really darker beers (Guinness) seem best. They still stand out against the sauce and are there in the final taste as well. I think a good beer sauce would rock a pork sammich.
Let us know what you come up with.
Guinnes is to beer as dark brown sugar is to fine granulated white...

Let's not make this a "beer" thread. Just used it as an example of a beer with a flavor (whether good or bad is a personal thing) strong enough to still come out. You know what I mean, Carbon. :becky:

Let's not make this a "beer" thread. Just used it as an example of a beer with a flavor (whether good or bad is a personal thing) strong enough to still come out. You know what I mean, Carbon. :becky:
I know Carbon!:thumb: I was alluding to the use of brown sugar as preferable to white in making a tomato based sauce same as your use of a dark beer to thin instead of an ale or lager say...:becky:

Last edited:
MMMMM BEEEEEEER!! lol Thanks Bob, I will try the Guinness. We have the Foreign Extra Stout Guinness out here, not the Draft. A little bit more bitter and way more flavor. Could go nice.. Ill give it a go.

Cheers

I know Carbon!:thumb: I was alluding to the use of brown sugar as preferable to white in making a tomato based sauce same as your use of a dark beer to thin instead of an ale or lager say...:becky:

Sauces I don't make very often, but that would be the same reason the brown sugar is better for making Q beans too, correct? I gotcha. :thumb: If I remember correctly there was a recipe here I believe of a sauce with molasses and Guinness as a couple components that was interesting. :becky:

Sauces I don't make very often, but that would be the same reason the brown sugar is better for making Q beans too, correct? I gotcha. :thumb: If I remember correctly there was a recipe here I believe of a sauce with molasses and Guinness as a couple components that was interesting. :becky:

I bet just molasses, Guiness, ketchup and cayenne or chipotle would make an awesome mop/sauce...

I make a version of Steve Petrone's #5 sauce from the TVWBB site. Some tomato, yet still vinegary. Of course, some good cole-slaw on top of that too.

Thought I might as well post the recipe for the #5 sauce. This is a great base, and can be added to to make it your own.

No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

Last edited:
I make a version of Steve Petrone's #5 sauce from the TVWBB site. Some tomato, yet still vinegary. Of course, some good cole-slaw on top of that too.

Thought I might as well post the recipe for the #5 sauce. This is a great base, and can be added to to make it your own.

No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon rub

Thanks. That does look like a pretty good base. Might even substitute 1/2 of the ketchup for 1/2 cup plain tomato sauce to mellow out a bit more and add a couple secrets! :icon_shy lol :heh:

Cheers

Being true to my regional influences, I think a semi-sweet and mildly tangy tomato sauce like Big Bob Gibsons Championship Red Sauce is the most widely duplicated, served and prefered sauce in my area. Goes great with vinegar slaw. Some folks might even get a hankering for his white sauce (mayo/vinegar), but I reserve that for chicken. Clone recipes all around the web.

This time of the year with tomatoes in-season, I don't need no stinking sauce! Well, maybe after a few days of leftovers. LOL.

A little tomato, onion, cilantro mix (pico minus peppers) is simply marvelous at times, but not really practical for restaurant.
DSC00241.JPG

I like to switch around some. East Central Alabama and West Central Ga is predominently a Mustard/Vinegar based area. I use a lot of Foy's which is made locally but can be bought on line.
foys_bbq_hot_50.gif

Sometimes when I want a more Ketchup/ Vinegar base I'll use Dreamland (I think the recipe is on our site)or can be ordered on line, John Boy's and Billy"s Hot and Spicy, or a recipe from Neely's BBQ in Memphis.

It's whatever I'm in the mood for.

I was gonna mention Molasses. Mix that will a guiness or a very strong porter style beer... cayenne, allspice berries MALT vinegar and there you got a great sauce to start with...

Hey... What kind of molasses are you guys talking about? Light, Dark, or Blackstrap (doubt its the latter)

Cheers

Well being from Texas it may be against the law.I like Georges Hot bbq sauce and Roxy's slaw on pulled pork.The more local people I feed it to,the more they ask for it.

I use Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Not a fan of slaw so none for me, but I do chop up bread and butter pickles with a bit of yellow onion and put on my sammys.

So how can I make my own Tennessee Red sauce? I can approximate the flavor, but what do they use to make it thick enough to glaze the meat instead of running off? Corn starch?

i usually use a central /eastern nc vineagr sauce liberally applied with a mustardy coleslaw and pickle....and then lick the wax paper it came in.

i have been trying to tweak this:
2 cups peach juice (available in Greek and Mexican markets and the international section of most large grocery stores)
2 Tbls garlic powder
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
several hearty dashes hot sauce (I prefer Texas Pete but Franks or Tabasco is fine)
pinch crushed red pepper
3 Tbsp olive (or any) oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
good splash of Worcestershire sauce
good splash of soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 drops liquid smoke (optional)
1 tsp ground ginger (optional)

1/2 cup peach preserves (or apple jelly)

found here http://www.schronce.net/forum/read.php?32,79,79

for a fruity sweet/pepper spicy combo that will mesh together well and well with a different type of slaw...maybe one with grapes or something else in it, im not sure on that yet .

No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon rub

This is a great sauce and universally loved by all who've tried it. I generally serve two sauces with pulled pork at my house. This is one of them (have to make a double batch cuz it goes quick) and the other is a vinegar sauce. My goto vinegar sauce is also by Steve Petrone, but have been experimenting with Boshizzle's "Old Virginia BBQ" sauces posted here. If you want sweet with vinegar, try Griffin's red sauce as a starter.

Back