What do YOU do with the whole rib roast bones?

robertm

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
ROBERT
I feel like it makes the most sense to cut the bones off the roast before cooking for an even consistent cook.

Last cook I roasted the bones separately for about 1.5 hrs, put in a pan with some broth and other aromatics and continued to cook creating the au jus. I wasn't pleased with the result though. It ended up having a bit of a funky flavor. Maybe from the bone marrow, not sure. I ended up scrambling right at the end to create an au jus. This time I'm going to follow Third Eyes take on RRP au jus so I don't have to fret over whether or not the au just will turn out.

So that leads me back to the bones and accompanying meat. What do most like to do with these?

Last edited:
If you're talking whole rib roast bones (prime rib, whole rib roast) and you are taking them off the roast, that's the cook's treat. Cook those bad boys at the same time you do the roast, pull them off before the roast is done when no one is looking and you've got a nice snack.

I will cut roast off the bone then tie them back on. This makes it easier to cut in the end. I eat the ribs in the same sitting as the roast.

Publix cuts them off and ties them back on. I smoke them like Dino ribs. Somewhere there is a thread that I started and I finished off the thread with what I did

If I buy the whole standing rib primal.... I remove them leaving some generous meat, and cook them later.

If I buy a bone-on roast that has been prepped by cutting and tying, I untie them and cook it bone down using the bones as a heat shield.... and protecting my investment at the same time. When the roast is ready, I re-season the ribs and they go back on for 2 or 3 hours until tender.

Az5895J.jpg

If I buy the whole standing rib primal.... I remove them leaving some generous meat, and cook them later.

If I buy a bone-on roast that has been prepped by cutting and tying, I untie them and cook it bone down using the bones as a heat shield.... and protecting my investment at the same time. When the roast is ready, I re-season the ribs and they go back on for 2 or 3 hours until tender.

Az5895J.jpg

That my friend is why you are a legend!

We cooked attached, then ate them on the side for Christmas after they got cut off the main roast for slicing.

My two dogs are my bromigos. They hang with me for every cook so they do get rewarded nicely. I love my boys.

Cut the bones off the roast, dry brined and then rubbed the same as the prime rib roast. Placed a little closer to the heat source than the prime rib. Cooked about 3hrs 15 minutes. They turned out absolutely fantastic. Like oh my gawd, these are stupid tastey.

I put all three on a platter to be eaten. No one else took one. I didn't feel the need to inform others just how good these were if they decided not to try them.

Net result, two more ribs for me I plan to reheat in the sous vide :mrgreen:

Thanks for the recommendations!

y3QMX4Q.jpg

If a guy wanted to buy more of the just these rib bones in the future what is the cut called?

Last edited:
Cut the bones off the roast, dry brined and then rubbed the same as the prime rib roast. Placed a little closer to the heat source than the prime rib. Cooked about 3hrs 15 minutes. They turned out absolutely fantastic. Like oh my gawd, these are stupid tastey.

I put all three on a platter to be eaten. No one else took one. I didn't feel the need to inform others just how good these were if they decided not to try them.

Net result, two more ribs for me I plan to reheat in the sous vide :mrgreen:

Thanks for the recommendations!

y3QMX4Q.jpg

If a guy wanted to buy more of the just these rib bones in the future what is the cut called?

It's called beef back ribs. It's usually around $4 /lb.

It's tasty cut. I usually save the back ribs for beef soup. Here's link to the cooks I did with the bone-in prime rib.
Grilled ribeye, Galbi-tang soup, and breakfast pho

I remove the bones when serving and set them aside. the next day I season them up and throw them on the smoker until tender, I'll wrap in foil when the color looks right.

Back