Name or Nickame
Kevin
For me its:
1. Van's rub (a local BBQ joint) for my "sweet" rub
2. The BBQ Rub, for my "balanced" rub
3. Chupacabra, for my general purpose
4. It's Incredible, for veggies, etc.
5. Boar's Night Out Double Garlic Butter, a nice base layer rub

What am I missing? What "category" have I left out?

I like cavenders for fish and chicken, still like simply marvelous pecan on pork and eggs, don’t shoot me but i also like old bay on deviled eggs. Really like shapley’s on steak. We also like gourmet lemon pepper by dizzy’s gourmet lemon pepper for fish.....

Last edited:
Use to make my own but have gotten lazy. Like Yardbird and Simply Marvelous Santa Maria, but have to be careful with both because of the salt in them. Wish they were offered in unsalted versions.

Oakridge - variety will take a while to work thru
Lantana Of Texas- all purpose rub
Adkins Texas
Williams Rib Tickler
Real Salt by Redmond fine and Kosher
Coarse black pepper
Lawry's

All these go great with feathers, fins and fur

I'm just as apt to season chicken with beef, fish with pork and beef with chicken. I really don't have a receipt nor script.
Most of what I cook is edible and almost everyone who has eaten my food has gone on to lead a healthy normal life

For me its:
1. Van's rub (a local BBQ joint) for my "sweet" rub

Van's is a barbecue joint now, but 55 years ago when I took my dates to the original on Highland in Shawnee, it was a steak house. There was a basement they'd made into a dining area, was really cool to walk down stairs to this dimly lit small room

Get a filet mignon and a double baked potato.

Then go see a movie on Shawnee's main street. Shawnee was big time, they had two movie theaters.

Good memories.

To address the OP's question .............. I don't have a core rub. If anything qualified for that , it would be SPG, whether it comes from Kosmo, or Malcolms AP rub, or Tuffy Stones Umami.

But I enjoy trying new rubs, whether I buy a commercial rub or I find the recipe for a rub from a book, or some source.

I have a cupboard full of store bought rubs, but keep coming back to home smoked. I think it's all a matter of what your taste buds are used to and lookin' for.

eJ5ER5u.jpg

Too much sugar is most of the commercially available rubs for me (keto), so I tend to stick to simple SPG. For brisket though I think Hardcore Carnivore Black is very hard to beat. I know it has sugar in it, but it's nominal when eating 2 or 3 slices of brisket, so I'm OK with it.

Before going keto I was addicted to :
-Kosmos Q Dirty Bird
-Melissa Cookston's Coal Play
-Rod Gray "The Most Powerful Stuff"
-Smokin' Gunz Hot

All great rubs which pretty much would work well on anything.

Porkmafia Memphis Mud for pork
407BBQ rub or Sucklebusters 1836 for beef
Montreal or Weber Chicago Steak seasonings.

And way too many other random rubs I'm going through that I bought to try out.

GO TO:

-Montreal Steak
-Pappy's
-SPG
-Lawry's Seasoned Salt

This is a great thread BTW; I am always wanting to expand my knowledge in this arena.

Back