What a surprise!

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
Have to tell a little bit of a story:

My company moved me to Northern Virginia in 2017. It is very difficult to make friends here. People are fairly pretentious and self-centered. I have made some acquaintances, but few people I would actually consider friends. One notable exception is a couple that lives about 5 doors down from me. The husband is from Virginia, but his wife is German. They are genuinely nice, friendly people and I enjoy their company.

One of my hobbies is sausage-making. The aforementioned couple hosts a block party each fall, and I usually contribute some of my sausage for the festivities. In the past, I have made Texas Hot Links, Creole Chaurice, and Cajun Smoked Sausage for the party.

This year, I decided to make my Bratwurst, but I contacted the wife in advance and told her I would like some honest feedback on the authenticity of my recipe. When the party came around, the wife introduced me to a new German couple she had recently met. The husband in a German Naval Officer who is on a three-year assignment to DC. His wife didn't speak English. I told them about my sausage and asked them for feedback as well. He translated for his wife.

Both the VA wife and the couple were very hesitant and reserved when they tried the sausage. I told them that they couldn't hurt my feelings for offend me, that I was genuinely interested in what they thought. The officer's wife was the first to speak (in German) and the husband translated for me. They said that my sausage was absolutely delicious but tasted nothing like what they considered "bratwurst". They said it was closer to a Polish Kielbasa but went on to add that there are hundreds of regional varieties of Bratwurst.

I told them that I have had a very hard time finding books or information on German sausages. There are tons of books on Italian, French, Mediterranean, and even Asian Sausages, but I cannot find German sausage recipes.

OK, I told you all of that to set the stage for the real post:

Last night I invited the neighbors over for a few glasses of wine and some appetizers. I told the wife she was welcome to invite the German couple as well. They showed up with a gift for me.

The German officer ordered two sausage-making books from Germany. He and his wife manually translated over a dozen recipes for me. They typed up the translations and carefully taped them into the books. They also ordered authentic German herbs and spices for me. He said that he wanted to get them for me, but also had some self-interest in that he hoped I would try the recipes and share with them.

This is one of the nicest things anyone has done for me in a long, long time.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

That is truly a feel good story and thank you for sharing. I too have had the same moving to the wife's area from mine. I have friends at work but, they all live at least an hour away. Can't wait to hear how your new found brats turn out.

Very cool and so nice of them in taking the time and the effort.

That is a fantastic story! Very nice gesture on their part, I hope you are able to find a recipe that makes everyone extremely happy.

That is a great story and I can’t wait to see how these recipes turn out!

Can we get a shot of the right side of the translation.

You can use google translate on your phone or tablet to translate other recipes in the books using the live camera or an image.

I used to go to Wisconsin for a week or two a year for a couple of decades and there is a major German presence in that state and the bratwurst and other German foods are excellent. If you want more books on making brats you may want to find something from that area.

German was commonly spoken in Wisconsin until the early to mid 20th century, and there were unique dialects of German spoken in different areas just like there are unique dialects of English spoken in different parts of the USA.

A linguist recorded the various Wisconsin German dialects about 50 years ago by conducting interviews. Here is a link to hear the interviews. https://language.mki.wisc.edu/essays/german-dialects-in-wisconsin/

Your friends from Germany may get a kick out of hearing these German dialects that developed in the USA.

The most unique english dialect in the US was probably in Tangier island in the Chesapeake bay. I’ve heard it spoken by a couple of people when visiting the island in the 80’s but the dialect has faded over the years. Here is a video on tangerine island English. Since you are in northern Virginia you may want to take a day trip there some time. https://youtu.be/AIZgw09CG9E

Last edited:
What great neighbors you are developing.

Both the VA wife and the couple were very hesitant and reserved when they tried the sausage. I told them that they couldn't hurt my feelings for offend me, that I was genuinely interested in what they thought. The officer's wife was the first to speak (in German) and the husband translated for me. They said that my sausage was absolutely delicious but tasted nothing like what they considered "bratwurst". They said it was closer to a Polish Kielbasabut went on to add that there are hundreds of regional varieties of Bratwurst.

Regional varieties and families using one or two signature seasonings are how formulations are fine tuned. It's funny your new friends mentioned Polish sausage..... A family I know is very proud of their German roots and make a huge batch of the 'family recipe' from the old country every year. Likewise I know another family that makes Polish sausage with a Grandmother's recipe. You could put both sausages side-by-side and can't tell them apart.

That’s a nice story! I’d definitely be sharing the fruits of their recipes with them.

If you ever travel to the Midwest, look up Hermann Missouri. It is a old German settlement with a Wurst Haus there. Very authentic. Also, the family runs another shop in a small town 20 minutes south of Hermann called Swiss.

Did you ask for more information on what type of "Ham" the recipe calls for?

There might be a many different types of ham as there are sausage. I could image a pretty big difference if you used different hams.

What a wonderful story and a wonderful way to make new friends!!
Barbeque always becomes a common denominator in bringing people together in friendship!

Back