Went old school & back to childhood on breakfast this morning....

DubfromGA

is Blowin Smoke!
Aggravated this morning with my confounded coffee maker.

Thing has been acting up lately.

Went old school with some boiling water and the French press and made a 30oz cup of java that was better tasting than the coffee maker anyway.

Also went old school on breakfast.

Recent conversation with my son about "best breakfast's ever had" and I gave it some thought and said..."Byrd's Cafe......their tenderloin biscuits....hands down....best breakfast I've ever had".

It was a little spot near where I grew up. Not even sure if they are open for bidness anymore.

Wife chimed in and with agreement. She said her Dad used to take her there on their way to the beach.

She's got a birthday coming up this week and anything that reminds her of her Dad....a super guy in every way....would be good. She's had a tough time this year with some medical issues and has been kicking butt even though she doesn't give herself the credit for doing so.

I've been piddling around some....and finally got my gravy game up to par....and pork tenderloin is about the easiest thing on the plane to cook.......and a plan was hatched.

Byrd's Cafe Tenderloin Biscuits were served up this morning before we left for a doctor's visit for her.

I'd not mentioned trying this cook....just surprised her with it.

Son said it was great....and went for seconds and then more and commented, "I'm not sure if this is like that place's....but, it sure is good".

Next time we are up that way, I'll run him over there for breakfast.....then over to Pete Jones Starlight Inn for lunch (best pulled-chopped pork on the planet). There will be no need for dinner, lol.

Pics are not great.....I was scrambling this morning.....trying to overcome sorry coffee maker and working to a deadline.

I'd browned the tenderloin sections....removed them.....then made the sawmill gravy and returned them to the gravy to slow cook for a while longer. That cast iron skillet put the tender in tenderloin this morning.

Pic taken mid-cook....

Fine china used since there'd be no time for cleanup afterwards as we'd be heading out.....

She was grinning and face lit up when she tried it. Homerun !!!

Nothing like starting the day off right.

Fast forward to right now......son just texted wanting to know what was coming for dinner.......I told him....he replied with a bunch of emoji things that were all grinning so I'm guessing he approved.

That breakfast looks good! Reminds me of the same when I was a kid. I would definitely have seconds on that. The best to your wife and hope she keeps improving:thumb:

I want your recipe, looks great

I'm afraid it's more of an on-the-fly process than an actual recipe.

The gravy was a by-product of the pork tenderloin cook...and takes a fairly healthy cut of meat and makes it anything but.

Cast iron skillet heated up to medium+*heat. I really like using it for this kind of stuff as it distributes heat evenly.

3 tbsp butter in the pan. A small amount of olive oil, too.

Slice the tenderloin into biscuit sized sections and roll them around in all-purpose flour that has been seasoned (I used Lowry's Seasoned Salt, finely ground pepper and some cayenne pepper).

Brown each surface of the tenderloin pieces. Remove them.

Add more butter to the pan. Another 3 tsp should be enough.

Whisk in 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp Everglades Seasoning (Chef Paul's or other poultry seasoning would work fine) and 1/2 tsp of tarragon (I used dried).

Slowly add in 2 cups of milk. Bring to low boil and reduce heat to simmer. Stir constantly throughout the milk addition & simmering. It'll thicken as it cools and you return it to low-medium heat.

Add the browned tenderloin to the gravy and let it slowly cook until your instant-read thermometer tells you it's ready.

I hope this makes sense.

Back