Well its that time.. Its Jerky Time for 6/24

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hey guys.. hows it going? So I've got alot on my plate right now so I'm trying to get time in to start a post figure right now would be the perfect time.. I posted a few weeks ago looking to branch out with jerky and do marinades instead of the Hi-Mountain seasoning kits..

Nothing wrong with the Hi mountain kits.. but after many years of jerky making and that's all I use i find it too salty and wanted different flavors..

So.. I came up with a Teriyaki recipe finding different recipes online and creating a "Base" marinade. This is just a little over 5 lbs of sliced meat.

2 cups Worcestershire sauce
1 1⁄2 cups teriyaki sauce
3 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 cup soy sauce
4 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne powder
4 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 1⁄4 tablespoons red pepper flakes
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Of course since this is going on the smoker tomorrow I did not use liquid smoke.. if I was using a dehydrator I would have..

k0Xp90ql.jpg

Sounds good to me. I just did 10 lbs. of eye of round on Tuesday and used a similar recipe I found on line. I wish I had added some red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper in mine. It was ok but I would have liked a little more kick. Let us know how it turns out. What are you using to smoke it?

Sounds good to me. I just did 10 lbs. of eye of round on Tuesday and used a similar recipe I found on line. I wish I had added some red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper in mine. It was ok but I would have liked a little more kick. Let us know how it turns out. What are you using to smoke it?

Using the silverbac pellet grill for smoking. gonna do 180 til done.. normally takes 3-4 hrs.. I almost added pink cure.. but I think it'll be fine.

Alright well.. I'm just not sure about this one.. I'm going to let them cool.. but while hot/warm It's too soy saucey??? if that makes sense.. Maybe I'm just use to the hi-mountain seasoning versions.. It cooks differently too for sure.. It took on the dark/black color of jerky.. I'll report back later once it cools completely.

PCW1dvZl.jpg

JTor7fKl.jpg

Looks good to me. I smoked mine @ 165 using my SS powered Pellet pro 1190. Took about 4 hrs. Just a little dry so next time I will remove it a little sooner. I too will be modifying my recipe next time. You know that practice makes perfect.

Looks good to me. I smoked mine @ 165 using my SS powered Pellet pro 1190. Took about 4 hrs. Just a little dry so next time I will remove it a little sooner. I too will be modifying my recipe next time. You know that practice makes perfect.

My silverbac only goes down to 180.. But yeah.. I'm already starting to figure out what to change here.. I'm just not sure if I like the whorsisshire/soy sauce base..

Yup not a fan of the flavor.. and its TOOO DRY if that's a thing? It cooked differently and well I just wasn't sure if it was done. I don't know.. it's just not something I like.. sucks to take a hit like that but oh well.. the roast was like 25 bucks for a 6lber lol

When I was smoking mine I checked it for moisture and many pieces still had some on top so I left it on for another 1/2 hr. I sampled it and it was not overly dry but most say to wait until the moisture is gone so I waited. after putting it in a plastic bag in the fridge it seemed to be less dry. Moisture must have balanced out. My first time making jerky so all and all it was not bad. Do you have a different recipe in mind for your next go around?

You did well!

I make teriyaki jerky and would cut way back on the Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce. I don't add honey or syrup but use more brown sugar. No liquid smoke.

I do a simple salt brine overnight first, then quick rinse and into the flavor marinade for 1-4 hours. I hang my jerky in a smoke house (still need to build a new one after the move) and add course Black pepper and red pepper flakes (leave some without for the kids). The sticky marinade allows the pepper to stick pretty good.

I generally pull it a little before dry and keep in a paper bag a day or two and them vacuum pack and freeze in portion packs so it does not disappear right away.

I posted on this years ago and will look for it. Some pictures may be gone.

Here is one

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253946

Last edited:
Must be something in the air. I was in the LMS (Local Meat Store) toast weekend and in addition to some righteous steaks, I picked up some shaved steak for jerky.

Now I just gotta get off my backside and put it in to marinate….

If I don't have deer or elk to jerk, London broil is a favorite cut to make jerky. Cash and Carry also has large package of random cut beef that works - forget what they call it.

Back