Weber Performer Snake Method test run w/ Moink Balls (Pr0n)

exprmntal

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
So I have been wanting to try the snake method on my Weber Performer for some time. Today I finally decided to give it a test run. But a test run wouldn't be any fun without cooking something so I made my first attempt at Moink Balls.

For the snake, I set up a 2x2 (2 wide by 2 high) row of Kingsford Briquettes. I lit 12 up in my chimney starter and overlapped them at the beginning of the snake. I wanted to target about 225* and heard that a 2x2 snake should work. I let the snake go for about an hour before putting the Moinks on to see what it would take for vent settings to get 225*. I ended up having the lower vent completely closed and the lid vents just cracked a bit. The temps were incredibly stable and I hardly had to mess with the vents at all. I made the snake 10 rows long and in the almost 4 hours that I had it going, it burned through about 4 rows so I was getting about 1 hour per row. Here's some pics of the cook.

Getting started - setting up my CyberQ to measure temps.
DSC053970001.jpg

DSC053980002.jpg

DSC053990003.jpg

DSC054020006.jpg

Here is the snake after12 lit coals were added to the beginning.
DSC054040008.jpg

An Egret stopped by to see what I was up to.
DSC054050009.jpg

Moink Balls going on. They were store bought meatballs wrapped with bacon and dusted with Plowboys Yardbird Rub.
DSC054080012.jpg

Here is the way I had the vents set up for the majority of the smoke.
DSC054110015.jpg

DSC054120016.jpg

After 2 1/2 hours I put some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce on half of the Moinks.
DSC054150019.jpg

And pulled them off after an additional 15 min to set the sauce (about 2 hour and 45 minutes total).
Here is the final product - they were amazing!
DSC054200024.jpg

As for the snake method - I wish I had tried this method years ago. It works great. I had been starting 12 new briquettes every hour in the past and this is much easier. If figure I could have gotten 10 hours out of my ten row snake easily.

Here is the graph of the temp profile during the smoke. The dips are when I opened the lid to check on the Moinks.

Temp%20Data%20Excel%20Plot.jpg

All in all this was a fun afternoon. I learned something new, got to play with my CyberQ for the first time, and made my first Moink Balls.

Thanks for watching!

Nice lookin balls! and cool graph!
I tried (still going) the snake for the first time today as well. Cooking a 4.5lb butt. I used a 2x2x1 method with coal because I was looking for a slightly higher temp (275 range). Worked great! Its been running between 260-280ish for 6 hours now.

Nice lookin balls! and cool graph!
I tried (still going) the snake for the first time today as well. Cooking a 4.5lb butt. I used a 2x2x1 method with coal because I was looking for a slightly higher temp (275 range). Worked great! Its been running between 260-280ish for 6 hours now.

I was amazed how little effort it took once I figured out where the vents had to be set. Also, when opening the lid I just left the vents where they were and the recovery to the target temp was fast with little overshoot. I don't have a fan set up for my CyberQ yet (I'm just using it for temp monitoring) but if I had one this setup would be completely effortless!

Looking Good! I guess the drops in temp were lid removal.

That's right. I had to check on things once every hour since I have never cooked Moinks before. Next time I will probably let them go initially for 2 hours before checking for the first time.

great lookin' MOINKS !!!

Really nice demonstration on the graph, too...pretty much proof positive that a kettle will recoup temp quickly.....I've been telling people this for years & a lot of folks still fret over a 15 degree swing.....

Would it be OK to display your graph for demonstration purposes elsewhere?
.....it shows what looks to be about 6 minutes recoveries every time & it would be a great teaching tool, credited, of course.....

great lookin' MOINKS !!!

Really nice demonstration on the graph, too...pretty much proof positive that a kettle will recoup temp quickly.....I've been telling people this for years & a lot of folks still fret over a 15 degree swing
Would it be OK to display your graph for demonstration purposes elsewhere?
.....it shows what looks to be about 6 minutes recoveries every time & it would be a great teaching tool, credited, of course.....

Thanks 1buckie! You are more than welcome to use the graph.

In my experience, brief temperature swings of up to 50 Degrees are not a problem as long as they are not sustained for more than a few minutes. A large piece of meat has a lot of temperature inertia and will not be affected.

Back