THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smoky bro

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Cody
Hello,
I am trying to decide between the Weber go anywhere gas or charcoal. I have always used propane barbecues throughout my life. Our current barbecue is reached the end of its life, and we figured we would get a portable one first mostly due to budget constraints. We decided recently to get a weber go anywhere that we will use both at home and less frequently on the go.

If we were to get the propane version, we would purchase two 5 pound propane tanks for easier transport. The reason why I am hesitant to go with the charcoal is the cleanup which appears to be messy, much you don't have to carry a take with you. As far as using gas, I am not entirely sure if carting around a small 5 pound tank it's a good idea. please correct me from wrong, it appears as though most people prefer charcoal. if this is the case, what is the reason for this choice?

I wanted to know people's thoughts on charcoal versus gas for use at home and on the go.

thanks

Last edited:
Weber Jumbo Joe,,,
There is always a trash can around to dispose of the dust,,,,
Flavor can’t be beat and you can do long cook chicken or quick sear steaks

I think you are right on all counts in your assessment of the pros and con's of each. I use the charcoal version. Yes it requires clean up but it's a small amount and when clean you can you can store your coal and a starter cube in a ziplock and other things in it to cook with like a kit for travel. Makes better tasting food too.

Just my .02 and Good Luck! :thumb:

I have a charcoal Go Anywhere for home use. It is an efficient little grill I use for smaller meals or searing certain cuts of meat.

I have a Weber Q120 gas grill used extensively on hunting and camping trips for many years, since they came out. I mostly run 1lb tanks in the q120 unless I'm set up at hunt camp for 2 weeks then I just use a 20lber. You would be surprised how much grilling you can do on 1lb.

For what you describe I would get gas. I'm not a fan of packing crap for charcoal on the move. I've probably grilled more stuff on my q120 in just a couple hunts than most people around me grill in a year.

Welcome to the forum! Given the constraint is more budget than space, I'd actually recommend "both". I think there is benefit to the convenience of gas and would particularly go that route when traveling.

Look for something used on the charcoal side. I don't know how much different it is in Toronto but in most areas of the US it's pretty easy to pick up a used kettle really cheaply. Smokey Joes aren't as common where I am but they seem to go for about $15 when they do show up. Kettles (particularly 18.5") can be found in the $25 range

Back