Weber go anywhere - gas versus charcoal

smoky bro

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Cody
Hello,
I am trying to decide between the Weber go anywhere gas or charcoal. I have always used propane barbecues throughout my life. Our current barbecue is reached the end of its life, and we figured we would get a portable one first mostly due to budget constraints. We decided recently to get a weber go anywhere that we will use both at home and less frequently on the go.

If we were to get the propane version, we would purchase two 5 pound propane tanks for easier transport. The reason why I am hesitant to go with the charcoal is the cleanup which appears to be messy, much you don't have to carry a take with you. As far as using gas, I am not entirely sure if carting around a small 5 pound tank it's a good idea. please correct me from wrong, it appears as though most people prefer charcoal. if this is the case, what is the reason for this choice?

I wanted to know people's thoughts on charcoal versus gas for use at home and on the go.

thanks

Last edited:
charcoal for Flavour, how many you cooking for?

Weber Jumbo Joe,,,
There is always a trash can around to dispose of the dust,,,,
Flavor can’t be beat and you can do long cook chicken or quick sear steaks

I think you are right on all counts in your assessment of the pros and con's of each. I use the charcoal version. Yes it requires clean up but it's a small amount and when clean you can you can store your coal and a starter cube in a ziplock and other things in it to cook with like a kit for travel. Makes better tasting food too.

Just my .02 and Good Luck! :thumb:

I have a charcoal Go Anywhere for home use. It is an efficient little grill I use for smaller meals or searing certain cuts of meat.

I have a Weber Q120 gas grill used extensively on hunting and camping trips for many years, since they came out. I mostly run 1lb tanks in the q120 unless I'm set up at hunt camp for 2 weeks then I just use a 20lber. You would be surprised how much grilling you can do on 1lb.

For what you describe I would get gas. I'm not a fan of packing crap for charcoal on the move. I've probably grilled more stuff on my q120 in just a couple hunts than most people around me grill in a year.

Welcome to the forum! Given the constraint is more budget than space, I'd actually recommend "both". I think there is benefit to the convenience of gas and would particularly go that route when traveling.

Look for something used on the charcoal side. I don't know how much different it is in Toronto but in most areas of the US it's pretty easy to pick up a used kettle really cheaply. Smokey Joes aren't as common where I am but they seem to go for about $15 when they do show up. Kettles (particularly 18.5") can be found in the $25 range

Back