Warming Oven conversion build

scguy2473

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Pictured here is a recent acquisition that I hope to turn into the mother of all smokers. It used to be a large food warming/holding cabinet and is stainless steel, inside and out. The inside dimensions are approximately 22"x43" and about 5' tall. My tentative plan is to construct a charcoal tray at the bottom and put a maze in it. Then, put a large metal plate above that with holes drilled in it to let smoke pass through and then use hotel pans sitting on that plate to make it a water smoker if I choose. I plan on putting a 1" ball valve on both sides for air intake to the charcoal, and a stack on top for exhaust.

My only hangups are these:
1) On the inside where the top metal meets the side metal, it is caulked with some type of gray caulk. I planned on digging that out and using the food safe red silicone. Will that be ok?
2) The box is insulated, even the door, but I'm not sure how thick or what kind. Will it matter? It had a heater inside of it so I assume it should have no trouble handling temps up to 300 degrees or so.
3) According to the specs, the outside is 20 gauge stainless and the inside is 24 gauge. Will this hold up or should I reinforce at least the walls of the firebox with more steel? It won't see direct flame impingement since I'll be using charcoal.

Here is the spec sheet...it is the bb96 model. http://www.carter-hoffmann.com/medi...ic_carter_banquet_carters/specs/BB96_spec.pdf

Also, I was thinking of a 4" square exhaust at the top in the very center. Anyone have any input on this either. Through my readings I've learned that the pit calculator doesn't really apply in terms of intake and exhaust size when it comes to vertical cabinet smokers.

Anybody have any input or experience or any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1768.jpg
    1768.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 64
Back