HogGrog

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Greg
…Dog.

No, not a chihuahua.

Decades ago when the cheap thrill of TJ was novel I made a few treks across the border (and have the scars to prove it, but that’s a different story…)

Late night after hours of beer, bad tequila and head shaking (you know what I mean if you have been there) the hot dog carts lined the streets outside of the cantinas.

Too late for the authentic street tacos with their vertical roasters or abuela’s homemade tamales, and too intoxicated to listen to the faint voice of reason, I lined up at the hot dog carts that fed the drunken gringos before crossing back into the US.

Here’s my take on the Tijuana Doggie; Hebrew National wrapped in bacon and cooked indirect on PK360 with medium heat and wood chunks. In TJ they used a flattop, not me. Cooked until the bacon is crisp and then on a bun with mayo and hot sauce. I added the pickled jalapeños, but they could have been on there too…

One of my favorite ways to enjoy a hot dog. When I do I often wonder how many of my nine lives were spent across the border?

Served with frozen Maks-ican Fries and a cold cervesa. Salud!

Attachments

• 4EB4AD98-D10B-46F8-8BBF-CD354302024C.jpg
    4EB4AD98-D10B-46F8-8BBF-CD354302024C.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 065C18F0-E0BC-4B6C-8C97-C313551835F7.jpg
    065C18F0-E0BC-4B6C-8C97-C313551835F7.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 282
  • A54AF1D5-6A14-48D1-A4D2-1F598A7A3AED.jpg
    A54AF1D5-6A14-48D1-A4D2-1F598A7A3AED.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 285
  • F593672E-C685-4FF5-9970-9667BCB6FF4E.jpg
    F593672E-C685-4FF5-9970-9667BCB6FF4E.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 285
Yes please!

Oh the TJ days. Long gone though some still risk it.

Gracias!

It’s been a loooong time since I visited TJ, I don’t run fast enough anymore to return to TJ. :shock:

Those look real tasty, the rest of the story sounds interesting

Thanks, Titch.

The rest of the story require discretion, a quality I lacked when I ventured to TJ many years ago! :tape:

Chap I worked with had pictures of an arrest
cop car was full, so they put a man in the boot ( so the story goes) 40 yrs ago

20 years ago we used to hop the border when we were in high school and go to Juarez. Crazy but good times. I am pretty sure I went with a taco but the details are somewhat blurry.

Wouldn't dream of doing that now a days. Good looking dog, I am going to give that a try.

Last edited:
Yes, please! I'd love to have a couple of those sonoran dawgs with a small order of Maks-ican fries.

Looks like a very good representation. Although that Blackstone would be a nice flat top sub as well. Hot sauce and mayo, my fav. I like to through a spoonful of mayo on a plate then a pool of hotsauce next to it and run chicken breasts or pork chops through it.

Dog looks good - I could use a couple right now.
So it's no longer a thing to pop down to TJ or Juarez and then come home?
Too dangerous?

Dogs look mighty fine. Don't think I ever ate street vendor food on any of the many trips down there in the by-gone years. Memories have faded, not many pics, beer may have been involved.

I was a Navy sailor stationed in San Diego. A sailor could have a great time in Tijuana (cheap tequila/cheap food/cheap - insert your favorite vice here) for about $20.

good times:)

Back