Wal Mart enhanced spare ribs

Brining turkey is quite common. Brining ribs is not.

Turkeys weigh a lot more than ribs and require a lot longer cooking time which is why turkeys are usually "enhanced". Ribs do not need to be "enhanced" if they are cooked properly. I always brine my turkeys not only to introduce moisture but to add more flavor (cranberry or apple juice). "enhanced" ribs are usually only salt water.

Enhaned ribs and butts have done well for us in the past but I think here lately what with the piglets disease it's the quality of the pork packaged in the first place.

If it's the Tyson brand ribs, stay away from them. They'll probably end up too hammy regardless of how you do them. I've found Tyson normally has the highest % of enhancement of anyone for just about all their meats. Smithfield has been hit or miss for me since they went Chinese so I try to mostly stick w/ IBP which surprisingly my local Sam's carries while the local WallyWorlds have Tyson ???

People, this "enhanced" meat is clearly garage meat that is sanitized with a salt brine — hence the ham taste. I actually remember getting a rack of this from the store now that people are talking about the taste and it was very plump and full of meat, but it didn't taste good.

I bought some enhanced ribs from Target $1.99/lb - cooked them my usual way, they were GREAT - would like to get more at that price :wink:

Walmart meat around here comes from Tyson in Iowa. They are actually decent. I've had picnics and ribs both pre-brine and post-brine and don't notice any difference. My uncle works there and you would be shocked at the process meat goes through to keep it longer on the shelves. I think the brine is the least of my worries.

If it's the Tyson brand ribs, stay away from them. They'll probably end up too hammy regardless of how you do them. I've found Tyson normally has the highest % of enhancement of anyone for just about all their meats. Smithfield has been hit or miss for me since they went Chinese so I try to mostly stick w/ IBP which surprisingly my local Sam's carries while the local WallyWorlds have Tyson ???

Around here anyways, Walmart's food products are for shopping convenience, Sam's is about FOOD......they are in the same parking lot where I go & I NEVER buy food @ Wally's.....the Sam's has pretty good stuff & real good price, ribs,. chicken products, even sausages & some bacon things......pork butts are the best & the best deal in town......IBP, almost always.........
They never carry packer brisket, or even flats......can't get an answer as to why.....

The "enhanced" thing does seem to change the taste somewhat......had more misses than hits using it......I like to know what I'm doing starting with a raw piece....

Back