THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
There are those times when I mask up and enter the other world. This time of year I check for Green Chile cases. Looking for big meaty chiles with color. I buy mild for experience reasons. I've bought mild that are really hot but never have I bought hot that were anything less than hot+ I'm often disappointed in the selection but today they had just stacked new freshly arrived boxes. Full retail goes against the grain but 19$ I'm in..
Heat level says mild. Sometimes truth is elusive

Last edited:
How did they turn out?

When you buy direct from a farmer, or a farmer's market, they usually have some cut-up for sampling. I suppose you could use your pocket knife and test right in the store. If it's too hot, just buy that one and call it good.

There's a whole lot of incredible goodness in that box! My wife would kill me if I came home with something like that, but you only live once.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t think I could tell the difference. Heat levels vary. I’ve had mild with no heat and mild that’ll light you up. Part of its charm I reckon. I’ve had good luck using the store stock Anaheim Pepper. As long as they’re bigger, thick and meaty. The small thin less dense pepper are an annoyance to me :))

Someone who grew up with New Mexico or Pueblo chile could probably tell. We ate a lot of Green Chile growing up. Mom would buy canned whole peeled. We didn’t roast. She fried them like chicken fry and diced in soups stews casserole etc.

25# Box. Fire roasted this morning Tiernan SOB. Whole Foods mesquite lump. Taking a break then peel and pack. Watched a video of a Chile company last night and they recommended char on high heat then directly into ice bath. Pops the skin and preserves the meaty texture Makes sense to me. I'm trying that as my only plastic sacks have a fragrance. MSU Hatch GC Processing in progress

Last edited:
How to they compare to Anaheim in flavor besides being higher in heat?

Generally speaking (so your mileage may vary), Anaheim’s will have less flavor and are mild. That said, it’s all about the seeds used and the marketing. Some chile you buy that is labeled “Hatch” will use a variety of seed that is pretty mild. Anaheim’s use a different seed and are often grown in green houses year-round.

I have had decent Anaheim peppers, but often find them lacking flavor. If I find some that are larger and straight during the “off season” I often buy them to make chile rellanos and then use my Hatch or Lemitar chile for the sauce I smother them with.

That was fun and aroma amazing. Probably experiment with pellet cooker and Green Chile eventually. Just so I'll know.

Last edited:
lol I was just going to say, bet the aroma in your yard was amazing! lol
Looks great Adams!

Back