Wait 18-24 months for a Shirley or build local in CA?

I don't make it a habit of placing a deposit on something unless I plan on following through with my end of the deal but stuff happens and two years is a long time. I was just curious about the procedure but I don't like wasting people's time. If something happened on my end where I couldn't start the build, I wouldn't ask for the money back.

in that case you would not be hurting anyone...you would actually be helping everyone else get their cooker sooner. i know that some have gone as far as having theirs built and then backed out. that cooker sold the same or next day. not really a problem for them other than having to post it on FaceBook for sale.

I would never wait that long. Buy something with a better price tag. I mean, we are talking about welded steel here, its not rocket science.

I would never wait that long. Buy something with a better price tag. I mean, we are talking about welded steel here, its not rocket science.

Go look at some YouTube videos of Shirleys and other competitors. You'll understand why many wait as long as they do. Shirley's quality is second to none.

Sure it's not rocket science, but the same could be said about the engineers and builders at the Rolls Royce factory.

:laugh: Sorry I shouldn't laugh, but you obviously have not met Paul or Tyler. That's not going to happen... Ever. I've never known anyone as picky and exacting as them Shirley boys. Working for Paul is no picnic, but the results speak for themselves. He expects perfection from everyone that works for him, and if it ain't perfect, you're going to do it until it is. Every cooker, every weld, is how its supposed to be. And if its not, Paul would fly to your house, rent a welder, and make it right. This isn't me feeding some myth, this is a fact. He's done it. I don't recommend many things, but You can buy from Shirley Fabrication with total confidence.

Its part of the reason that they have been so slow to grow, its pretty hard to find workers who live up to Paul and Tyler's expectations.

And as to the deposit, the whole point of a deposit is that it is non refundable. That being said, Paul would probably give it back if you took advantage of his generous nature.

well said and totally agree .

Congrats brother !! Now let the torture of waiting and watching everyone else get theirs begin :becky:

I was fortunate to only have about 4-5 month wait last yr with Paul. Worked out great for me. Was in Mn on vacation visiting family. I left there and went to down to the Shirleys and headed home with that bad boy. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone. 1of the Best drives home ive ever had :becky:

I bet that was a nice drive! I thought about potentially driving to get mine for all of about 5 seconds, and decided the drive there would likely kill me let alone turning around and driving back with a trailer someone could wheel my new toy off of in the middle of the night.

First of all congratulations! :clap: Just curious, does that mean that Paul will do the build from start to finish or does he do some of the work and then he oversees some of the work? Also, did you choose Paul because of less lead time or do some people prefer Paul's work over Tyler's? I know this question was asked before and I know they both do outstanding work but I can't remember if some preferred one person's work over the other.

Thank you man.

I started by emailing them directly through their website, and heard from Tyler a day later. He let me know his build time is a lot longer than his dad's, so I got in touch with Paul. Plus after watching all of the videos with Paul in them, I thought it'd be cool to have Paul do the build. From what I understand, Paul will build it. As to whether or not he will have someone help, I'm not sure.

I think if you put one smoker built by each of them side by side, you likely won't be able to tell who build what.

I don't make it a habit of placing a deposit on something unless I plan on following through with my end of the deal but stuff happens and two years is a long time. I was just curious about the procedure but I don't like wasting people's time. If something happened on my end where I couldn't start the build, I wouldn't ask for the money back.

Personally, I think if I were to back out, that's my problem and not theirs. They communicated their wait time upfront, and I accepted it. If something were to happen and I couldn't take it, I would look at it as sunk cost on my part.

Buy once,cry once.The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Shirley's are not for everyone,just like Rolls Royces are not either.If you can afford it,want it and can stand the wait,they are the BEST QUALITY SMOKERS AVAILABLE.Just my honest opinion.

Buy once,cry once.The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. Shirley's are not for everyone,just like Rolls Royces are not either.If you can afford it,want it and can stand the wait,they are the BEST QUALITY SMOKERS AVAILABLE.Just my honest opinion.

Yup, I agree completely. The nice part is being able to throw down $300 for a deposit, and then have some time to stack your chips before the smoker is built.

Hoss, just noticed your location, I stayed there at the Super8 by the highway on my way to Manning Passing Academy in Louisiana with my son two summers back, I'd bet not many people know where that's at. :clap2:

as for the rest of your statement, I only have a single first hand inspection of a Shirley and I 100% agree, Shagdog's 24x70 was a work of friggin art, after seeing that thing in action I know there is no other smoker that can satisfy my "needs". and I saw the pics of your rig, :jaw: just friggin WOW

Hoss, just noticed your location, I stayed there at the Super8 by the highway on my way to Manning Passing Academy in Louisiana with my son two summers back, I'd bet not many people know where that's at. :clap2:

as for the rest of your statement, I only have a single first hand inspection of a Shirley and I 100% agree, Shagdog's 24x70 was a work of friggin art, after seeing that thing in action I know there is no other smoker that can satisfy my "needs". and I saw the pics of your rig, :jaw: just friggin WOW

I appreciate the compliment on the cooker but Paul and Tyler deserve ALL the praise.Workmanship,customer service,imiganition,unmatched!Hate we missed your visit,we live right across the road from there( Super 8 ), well actually around the corner and across from it.

Last edited:

I appreciate the compliment on the cooker but Paul and Tyler deserve ALL the praise.Workmanship,customer service,imiganition,unmatched!Hate we missed your visit,we live right across the road from there( Super 8).

I appreciate the compliment on the cooker but Paul and Tyler deserve ALL the praise.Workmanship,customer service,imiganition,unmatched!Hate we missed your visit,we live right across the road from there( Super 8 ), well actually around the corner and across from it.
my boys demanded we eat at the waffle house down the street. :thumb:

I'm sorry, I don't know their smokers from Shirley

I only read the OP's message and thought to chip in my $.02.

A 2 year wait is absurd for an offset smoker. And I simply do not buy that their smokers are that much better at getting you a blue smoke than any other respectable stick burner out there.

55% of offset cooking is fire management, the rest is the meat, the rub, knowing when it's done, and the cooker itself. In other words, the fire is the most important thing - and there are dozens of very fine manufacturers that would enable the same thing on the plate if you get your fire right.

With that said, if you gotta have one of their cookers, so you can join that club and the resultant pride of ownership - well, you have your answer. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at some other companies' offerings. Good luck with your purchase!

I only read the OP's message and thought to chip in my $.02.

A 2 year wait is absurd for an offset smoker. And I simply do not buy that their smokers are that much better at getting you a blue smoke than any other respectable stick burner out there.

55% of offset cooking is fire management, the rest is the meat, the rub, knowing when it's done, and the cooker itself. In other words, the fire is the most important thing - and there are dozens of very fine manufacturers that would enable the same thing on the plate if you get your fire right.

With that said, if you gotta have one of their cookers, so you can join that club and the resultant pride of ownership - well, you have your answer. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at some other companies' offerings. Good luck with your purchase!

I don't think anyone claims they are that much better at getting the thin blue smoke than comparable pits with a good reputation. It's the whole package, well laid out and designed, good draft, best quality welds and materials with thick steel and proper sized fireboxes, extremely versatile with the various ways of using the warmer, full customisable, and all this at what I consider lower prices for comparable quality and features compared to just about any fabricator out there.

I am speaking from only secondhand knowledge, but I've been working in the industry long enough to recognise pro kit made by dedicated and passionate artisans, and there are rarely more than a few companies that consistently get it right at any given time. Shirley seems to me to be one of those companies, and it is always a bonus to know you are supporting a family company that puts pride in craftsmanship and design ahead of pure profit.

This is why I will probably soon be putting a down payment on one, partly because it fits well with my plans to get back into cooking professionally via catering in a few years, and also because I will be better organised to store and transport a big offset cooker by then as well.

Lastly, I have never gone wrong by buying the best I can afford as long as the money goes to quality and not hype or brand image on its own. In the long run it's worth it economically, and the pleasure and reduction in hassle and disappointment is worth it in itself.

It doesn't mean I can't make do, because that is the mark of a truly great cook, to be able to get good results with whatever you have to work with, but there's a world of difference in pleasure between making do and having great tools that are perfect for the job at hand.

I don't think anyone claims they are that much better at getting the thin blue smoke than comparable pits with a good reputation. It's the whole package, well laid out and designed, good draft, best quality welds and materials with thick steel and proper sized fireboxes, extremely versatile with the various ways of using the warmer, full customisable, and all this at what I consider lower prices for comparable quality and features compared to just about any fabricator out there.

I am speaking from only secondhand knowledge, but I've been working in the industry long enough to recognise pro kit made by dedicated and passionate artisans, and there are rarely more than a few companies that consistently get it right at any given time. Shirley seems to me to be one of those companies, and it is always a bonus to know you are supporting a family company that puts pride in craftsmanship and design ahead of pure profit.

This is why I will probably soon be putting a down payment on one, partly because it fits well with my plans to get back into cooking professionally via catering in a few years, and also because I will be better organised to store and transport a big offset cooker by then as well.

Lastly, I have never gone wrong by buying the best I can afford as long as the money goes to quality and not hype or brand image on its own. In the long run it's worth it economically, and the pleasure and reduction in hassle and disappointment is worth it in itself.

It doesn't mean I can't make do, because that is the mark of a truly great cook, to be able to get good results with whatever you have to work with, but there's a world of difference in pleasure between making do and having great tools that are perfect for the job at hand.

I totally agree!

The Shirley's are good honest people that take pride in what they do.

They earned their backlog!

Back